Lord Howe Autogen Question...

Kofi

Upon installation, I told the installer to NOT change my autogen trees. Yet at the final stages of installation, the installer said it was changing my autogen configuration.

What was changed by the installer :?:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I think the installer just added a few things to your fsx.cfg like

"TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048" and "IMAGE_PIXELS_FOR_AUTOGEN_POLYGON=512"

I could be wrong though :wink:

No, it doesn´t manke changes to the fsx.cfg.

It replaces the default.xml and AutogenDescriptions.spb in the autogen folder (and makes a backup of the original files).

Wothan

• Aerosoft
Does the change effect other addons?

If I choose to replace the tree textures, are the old ones backed up too? I ask because I could switch back and forth manuall then if need be.

The old one will be renamed of course, but believe me the new ones are are better and complete replacements of the ones that are default.

• Aerosoft
Upon installation, I told the installer to NOT change my autogen trees. Yet at the final stages of installation, the installer said it was changing my autogen configuration.

What was changed by the installer :?:

I would have to ask the developer for the details but we are doing it for nearly every scenery project these days and I have never heard that it causes any problem. To be honest I do not know what the other products you mention are. We normally can only guarantee our products with our other addons as you will understand.

1.) Could you post a comparison of the textures? I absolutely believe that they are better (because the default ones are pretty soso) but do they look out of place elsewhere in the world??? Are those the treesFA.bmp, treeshw.bmp etc textures? But if the stock ones are renamed and backup up, I'll reinstall Lord Howe to have a look at the textures.

2.) About the autogen files, what changes are made in those exactly? I ask because I want to know if it might effect the look in other parts of the world. There has been a reduced autogen file that enhances performance for some time that has no fast food chains etc. But what is different in the two files that come with Lord Howe?

Thanks for letting me know.

The old one will be renamed of course, but believe me the new ones are are better and complete replacements of the ones that are default.

Mathijs,

I tried to restore the backups and FSX wouldn't launch a flight due to me receiving a "terrain.dll" error....

Uh man, what is it with you people always changing default files. The replacement of the two autogen files screws up FTX. Why on earth can't you make those steps optional like the trees.

Was do those autogen files change after all???

To be safe, here's what I did AFTER installing Lord Howe;

1) Uinstalled/reinstalled GEX

2) Uinstalled/reinstalled FTX

I feel better now

Well I don't have GEX so that's one less. I simply can't find those trees that were replaced. Could you let me know the filenames please. Besides replacing vital global files without implementing a switch like FTX has is pretty weak in my opinion. AND PLEASE tell us what the changes in the autogen actually are.

I haven't the foggiest idea what trees are tagged to be replaced....

You do have the install option to not replace them..

I know but if they are indeed better quality ones that do not look off elsewhere, why not? But I was unable to determine which files were actually touched. Please Aerosoft, I you mess with default files, at least give a list of which files are effected prior to installation.

If I reinstall FTX than the Lord Howe autogen files will be replaced. Doesn't that have an ill effect on Lord Howe???

Here's what someone told me on my home forum:

"If you enable FTX, they copy the FTX default.xml to the autogen folder and if you disable FTX they copy the backup default.xml to the autogen folder (same with the SPB).

If you install Lord Howe, it seems to overwrite the default.xml, but if you enable or disable FTX, the Lord Howe default.xml will be overwritten.

BTW, VFR Germany has also its own default.xml.. i better don't ask if the LH default.xml contains the VFR Germany entries.

I'm only wondering how many customers know about those files and blame FSX if they have missing/screwed up autogen files..."

I wish people would stick to appending rather than replacing ... I am beginning to lose track of how many addons want to replace, rather than add to files.

I am wondering if it would be possible, through dint of careful comparison, to compile a set of the changes that each mod makes to these files, and create a 'master' set of autogen xml files to use?

(I mean for one of us, I'm not expecting aerosoft to sit down and figure out what config changes a dozen other vendors addins make)

Someone else told me these are the files:

Scenery; Global; Texture

veg_Broadleaf_CottonwoodElm.dds

veg_Broadleaf_MesquiteOlive.dds

veg_Broadleaf_thin.dds

veg_conifer1.dds

veg_cottonwood1.dds

veg_cottonwood1_canopy.dds

veg_Norway_and_Hemlock1.dds

veg_OliveTree.dds

veg_OliveTree_canopy.dds

veg_palm1.dds

veg_Palm_Fan_Canopy.dds

veg_Palms_Coconut.dds

veg_snag1.dds

Scenery; Global; Texture

veg_Broadleaf_thin.dds

veg_conifer1.dds

veg_cottonwood1.dds

veg_OliveTree.dds

veg_OliveTree_canopy.dds

veg_palm1.dds

veg_Palm_Fan_Canopy.dds

veg_Palms_Coconut.dds

veg_snag1.dds

Those and 'veg_Palms_Coconut_and_Fan.dds' were replaced in betas so probably they are same in final release too

The replacement of tree textures is not relly my main concern. If you replace them, the trees elsewhere look better, if you don't the trees on LHI lock stock. My concern is the change made to the autogen files. Those files are used worldwide and simply replacing them without implementing a proper switch like FTX does is not really good :roll:

The replacement of tree textures is not relly my main concern. If you replace them, the trees elsewhere look better, if you don't the trees on LHI lock stock. My concern is the change made to the autogen files. Those files are used worldwide and simply replacing them without implementing a proper switch like FTX does is not really good :roll:

That's what I was curious about. So turning LHI on or off won't make a difference? The autogen trees over the entire world would be changed for that landclass?

The replacement of tree textures is not relly my main concern. If you replace them, the trees elsewhere look better,

1- Yeah, but do they look better than the TreesX i have installed?

2- And if i uninstall Lord Howe will i get my TreesX back without having to reinstall them?

3- Which exactly are the default files that get replaced by this scenery?

4- Will i get the default files back if i uninstall the scenery?

I would like Aerosoft to answer these questions, so i can make a decision whether or not to purchase Lord Howe's scenery.

P.S: I agree this new idea of replacing default FSX files it's not good. And it's even worse not even telling us what get's replaced and if we can easily get the defaults back.

Scenery; Global; Texture

veg_Broadleaf_thin.dds

veg_conifer1.dds

veg_cottonwood1.dds

veg_OliveTree.dds

veg_OliveTree_canopy.dds

veg_palm1.dds

veg_Palm_Fan_Canopy.dds

veg_Palms_Coconut.dds

veg_snag1.dds

That's the list of trees effected. From what I can tell they look indeed a bit better so they are keepers. But what does those autogen files do? As far as I know they "tell" the flightsim what to place where. So if FTX is switched on, those LHI autogen files are replaced by the FTX ones. That would mean different autogen is placed around LHI?

As it seems, Aerosoft is/was not aware of FTX. It's not an Aerosoft product but how can you tell then that sceneries are tested with a "variety" of addons and checked for conflicts if you don't even know the biggest invention in FSX-addon-history??? :roll:

Please Aerosoft, help!

From the information I've gathered here's what happens:

1) FTX will continue to work as it should

2) Lord Howe will however cease to work as it should once you turn on/off FTX

In a nutshell, FTX's default autogen is essentially a back-up (FTX created) that runs when you turn it on. When you turn it off, it restores the FSX default one. When the FSX default one is restored, it overwrites the Aerosoft modified default.html file.