Unable to use FLX temp for takeoff (Throttles just go straight to full power)

sho69607

Hello,

I am having an issue with using FLEX temp during takeoff. When I move the throttles forward it just goes straight from CLB to TOGA full power and skips my programmed flex temp of 50. Am I doing something wrong? It seemed to work fine in P3D, but not in MSFS.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't you set toga for every take-off, even for the derated one? Plus I guess flex doesn't work and it's in the list of things to be fixed.

It doesn't really matter if you can use FLX, because its been broken since release.

Even if you were correctly in FLX during your takeoff roll, as soon as the weight is off the wheels it goes to TOGA anyway. It was reported ages ago.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Aerosoft
2 hours ago, sho69607 said:

Looks like it still isn't working after the update. I guess TOGA it is then.

Just poking a couple of questions...  

Is the Assistance settings on TRUE TO LIFE  ?

Did you assign the throttle THROTTLE x AXIS as opposed to THROTTLE x Axis (0 to 100%) ?

Best regards.

17 hours ago, Joe Markowski said:

I did a flex takeoff just the other day, purple flex indication and everything.

Weird.

The flex indication always appeared, the issue is that it is just visual...and as soon as youre airborne the derated thrust ends, which kind of undoes the entire point of flex takeoffs

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2022 at 3:00 PM, SimWare said:

Just poking a couple of questions...  

Is the Assistance settings on TRUE TO LIFE  ?

Did you assign the throttle THROTTLE x AXIS as opposed to THROTTLE x Axis (0 to 100%) ?

Best regards.

Yep I have it set to true to life and the axis is assigned to the "throttle x axis" and not the 0-100% option. It is still ignoring the flex temp even with that.

• Aerosoft
7 hours ago, sho69607 said:

Yep I have it set to true to life and the axis is assigned to the "throttle x axis" and not the 0-100% option. It is still ignoring the flex temp even with that.

Hi,

For the sake of understanding, what throttle quadrant are you using ?

On 7/7/2022 at 10:20 PM, Joe Markowski said:

I did a flex takeoff just the other day, purple flex indication and everything.

Weird.

Can you tell me what that "everything" means? Because this topic really confuses me a lot. I have always thought that this just doesn't work as intended in this addon. How do you do the derated take-offs in Aerosoft CRJ?

This confuses me because from my understanding the correct procedure is to set the FLEX temp in the FMS and then during take-off I should set the throttle to TOGA detent and the engines should not go higher than N1 corresponding to the FLEX temp. I also get the visualization but the engines overshoot the limit. It just never worked for me, I have tried a couple of times. Also I believe that Raptor05121 is a real CRJ pilot and he confirmed that. You shouldn't use your throttle to incrementally hunt for the N1 limit, the plane should do that for you in the TOGA detent. Or I just understand the whole concept wrong.

6 hours ago, mhron said:

Can you tell me what that "everything" means? Because this topic really confuses me a lot. I have always thought that this just doesn't work as intended in this addon. How do you do the derated take-offs in Aerosoft CRJ?

This confuses me because from my understanding the correct procedure is to set the FLEX temp in the FMS and then during take-off I should set the throttle to TOGA detent and the engines should not go higher than N1 corresponding to the FLEX temp. I also get the visualization but the engines overshoot the limit. It just never worked for me, I have tried a couple of times. Also I believe that Raptor05121 is a real CRJ pilot and he confirmed that. You shouldn't use your throttle to incrementally hunt for the N1 limit, the plane should do that for you in the TOGA detent. Or I just understand the whole concept wrong.

I don't hunt, I punch in the flex temp, see the purple flex indication on the display, then put the throttles in the TOGA detent as you said.

If it's not working beyond that, that's above my pay grade and I'll admit ignorance.

21 hours ago, mhron said:

Yes what you described is essentially correct if you read CRJ POH's. The flex temp does not work correctly in the Aerosoft CRJ.

• Thanks 1

Correct; if you use the FLX TEMP selection in the VNAV page, confirm the magenta Flex TO rating on the left CAS screen (where the N1s are), and proceed to take off, you will observe that the actual thrust achieved by the engines exceeds the magenta target (usually by ~5% N1).

I'm not sure if it's the FADEC causing an overshoot in an attempt to stabilize at that N1 targe, or if the FADEC is actually intentionally trying to achieve a higher N1 target.