Engines turn off suddenly

Tomaz

This happened to me 3 times today... when on approach, suddenly both engines turned off, no way to start them on again and a high pitched noise appeared. I have no idea what's happening. As far as I know I didn't do anything to cause this nor do I know what can one actually do to turn off the engines instantly. Also that weird high pitched sound, what's that all about? Any ideas what could cause this?

Also, tell me if you need any more information, I will provide it.

Win 10, latest MSFS version.

8 hours ago, Tomaz said:

This happened to me 3 times today... when on approach, suddenly both engines turned off, no way to start them on again and a high pitched noise appeared. I have no idea what's happening. As far as I know I didn't do anything to cause this nor do I know what can one actually do to turn off the engines instantly. Also that weird high pitched sound, what's that all about? Any ideas what could cause this?

Also, tell me if you need any more information, I will provide it.

Win 10, latest MSFS version.

I'd be willing to bet this is due to your controller(s) bindings in MSFS.

1. Reset throttles and stick to default,
  2. unbind anything that isn't required for the CRJ (like mixture axis, feather axis, etc) and
  3. save it as a new preset

9 hours ago, jstnj said:

I'd be willing to bet this is due to your controller(s) bindings in MSFS.

1. Reset throttles and stick to default,
  2. unbind anything that isn't required for the CRJ (like mixture axis, feather axis, etc) and
  3. save it as a new preset

I use Saitek yoke and TQ but I do have the same bindings since CRJ came out, I haven't changed anything and it always worked fine.

I'll make a new preset but I'm not very confident this will solve the issue.

Hello Tomas.  A couple of years ago I bought a new computer for flight simming and had the shop over clock it.  Later, I found on most flights with the FSLs A320, in P3D V 4.3, I would suddenly get a high pitched 'electronic' sound, then a frozen screen which turned into a CTD.  The A320 was the only aircraft that caused this.  I had a browse on the internet and found over clocking sometimes causes this.  I had my computer returned to normal settings and never had the problem again.  If by chance you have over clocked your system you may have to return to normal settings.     

Bruce R

Dunedin, NZ  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Bruce R said:

Hello Tomas.  A couple of years ago I bought a new computer for flight simming and had the shop over clock it.  Later, I found on most flights with the FSLs A320, in P3D V 4.3, I would suddenly get a high pitched 'electronic' sound, then a frozen screen which turned into a CTD.  The A320 was the only aircraft that caused this.  I had a browse on the internet and found over clocking sometimes causes this.  I had my computer returned to normal settings and never had the problem again.  If by chance you have over clocked your system you may have to return to normal settings.     

Bruce R

Dunedin, NZ  

Are you talking about a sound in the machine itself or in the sim? Because I get the sound in the sim and when I press Pause it stops so it's part of the CRJ sounds. Also, it appears only when the engines shut down, so very unlikely that an overclock would be somehow connected to the CRJ engines running or not :) I do have an overclock but I have it for over a year and don't have any issues with it. 

I wonder, what function and or user action in the airplane would cause an instant engines shutdown and no way to turn them back on again? 

The noise you hear is the RAT (Ram Air Turbine) after it is automatically deployed due to an electrical loss, I agree it must be a controller binding to Mixture. I have had it happen if I had the wrong profile selected and the mixture lever was in the off position, if you hit ESC to pause the sim and then come back in it reads the mixture level and shuts the engines off and deploys the RAT. For me I had a CH yoke with one of the axis's tied to Mixture, check all of your profiles including mouse and Xbox controllers. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was talking about the machine itself.  If it's the sim causing the noise, then it's obviously not the same problem I was having.  I think Jeremy has a good suggestion.

Regards

Bruce R  

• Like 1