Which IFR Approach to LOWI 08?

Hi,

a question to all CRJ experts here:

Which IFR approach works with the CRJ if it needs to be runway 08 at LOWI?

Is it possible at all with the CRJ?

Thank you 😊 

• Deputy Sheriffs

You can fly RNP Y approach to runway 08. But this approach is fully visual after WI814. Alternatively LOC DME EAST or WEST approach can be flown with circle to land for runway 08. With LOC DME WEST approach it has to be noted that the circling maneuver is still mandatory and this approach cannot be flown straight in to runway 08.

• Thanks 1

Am 24.5.2022 um 14:15 schrieb Secondator:

You can fly RNP Y approach to runway 08. But this approach is fully visual after WI814. Alternatively LOC DME EAST or WEST approach can be flown with circle to land for runway 08. With LOC DME WEST approach it has to be noted that the circling maneuver is still mandatory and this approach cannot be flown straight in to runway 08.

I just tried, no success with any available IFR approaches to RW08.

RNP Y does not work, it just ignores the approach waypoints and flies straight from ELMEM on.

But I guess that is not supposed to work anyway, since I learned here that the CRJ is not certified for, and cannot fly any RNP approaches.

But the LOC WEST approach was also just a destructive mess.

Either an instrument approach to RW08 is just beyond my skills, or it’s just not possible with the simulator CRJ.

If you have some time to try it by yourself and it works, I would appreciate further tipps 🙂

Am 26.5.2022 um 08:44 schrieb Richard Dastardly:

Huh, when did the ILS approaches disappear? must be recent?

I think there never was an ILS approach to RW08.

Could have sworn I've made an approach to 26 with GS, but not done it in some time. Guess that was one of the LOC DME EASTs if I'm not misremembering. I've done an 08 localiser app but I'm willing to accept I did the descent manually & aren't remembering it properly.

It’s the LOC R rwy 26 approach you did. It’s one of few LOC R approaches which has GS, but it’s not classified as ILS due to loc offset of 3 degrees.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1