Fuel Pumps

expire

Hi

I notice that I can start both engines without having the fuel pumps activated.  Were there fuel in the wing tanks i could understand this happening, but these are empty (although I have fuel in the main tanks).

Does this scenario seem likely?

All the best

lRL, you cannot start the plane from the primary tanks without turning on the fuel pumps. In Aerosofts version you can because they chose to not model these switches. You can flip them on and off but they do nothing. 

When I asked about this a while back I was chastised and told that a pilot would have to be stupid not to turn on the fuel pumps or some similar drivel. I guess the good news is, you can be  stupid and ignore the fuel pumps and Aerosoft has your back.

As you poke around you'll find some switches work and others don't. There's not much rhyme or reason to be honest. The good news is, the switches sound nice when you engage them.

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

We simply do not model these kind of pilot errors. We assume pilots use the checklists and flows. Adding these kinds of non standard behavior increases the complexity (and support) and thus the price.

There is rhyme and or reason however. As we tried to make it clear for the last 15 years, our aircraft projects simply does not model pilot errors. You can click any switch at random as many times as you want, but we feel that has nothing todo with flight simulation. It is just not what we want to model.

There are many products coming onto the market that do model non standard behavior to some degree. None at a $25 level however.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, the twotter is $35, not $25. At this price point you're sitting $5 less than the Milviz C310 that models errors at a very high level of detail.

There are plenty of devs who model simple things like having to turn on fuel flow either by pump or petcock on much less expensive planes. In fact, I own one that I paid $10 for and I still have to turn on the fuel before the plane will start up. It's part of the checklist. Trying to push this off as a stupid error is just deflecting and comes off as disingenuous on your part.

At the end of the day though, it's your plane to model however you want.

In summary your position is that you're going to put forth nice looking models that are very simplistic in terms of care and feeding and should be easy to fly for the casual simmer who doesn't care about fidelity beyond controlling things like power and attitude. Easy enough.

• Upvote 7

Surely, modelling the fuel switch function correctly is only a few lines of code - that is hardly going to break the budget or dent your sim philosophy. 

To have the switches working simply provides a more satisfying experience because they are a primary system component. 

• Like 3

The marketing for this plane is so weird. It’s a casual experience but here’s a 100 page manual! Fuel pumps are too confusing but here’s a patch that totally changes the flight dynamics! 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 5:04 PM, echo_oscar said:

The marketing for this plane is so weird. It’s a casual experience but here’s a 100 page manual! Fuel pumps are too confusing but here’s a patch that totally changes the flight dynamics! 

And yet, run the tip tanks dry while the left and right wing tank pump switches are turned on and the engines will quit, even if there's fuel in the main tanks and even though the real aircraft's fuel system schematic shows that the engines would just be fed from the fuel in those main tanks in that event... So I guess Aerosoft doesn't model real failures but they do model made up ones, because... reasons?

• Aerosoft

I am sorry, but a pilot that does not fucks up these things will not run into these issues.  As explained, we simply do not model these kinds or events. We never did in any of our internally developed aircraft and we will never do so. I do believe we have been clear and open about this for over a decade. So if you want an DLC where you can experiment with the fuel system to see when your engine will run or not run and totally ignore standard operations, checklists and flows you will have to look for another product.

In this product we went for a whooping lot of models and variations, with a very solid SOP modeling for a very modest price. With succes as it sells extremely well. 

• Upvote 1