Progress update on WASM Terrain?

Amateurdraw

MD80 has terrain radar and pmdg seems to have the wasm terrain api working with their 737. Wanted to ask what the progress might be for the crj given that this was a feature that was guaranteed as soon as asobo had the api to support it.

Hello Jonas,

Fantastic, thank you. Just to clarify, this is written using asobo's wasm api and not the one that was mentioned to have caused framerate issues?

If this feature has already been implemented, why would Aerosoft not release it immediately, instead of opting to include it with the long-promised "update"?

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, jay jay said:

If this feature has already been implemented, why would Aerosoft not release it immediately, instead of opting to include it with the long-promised "update"?

It's all part of the conspiracy, deep state cabal stuff.  Or it could be as simple as they don't want to.  Or it could be that they want to, but it just makes more sense to do it with a larger update.

• Upvote 4

it would be nice if the terrain radar update was released now rather than wait. It has been a long time since the CRJ was updated and the terrain radar is really an essential part.

1 hour ago, RF pilot said:

it would be nice if the terrain radar update was released now rather than wait. It has been a long time since the CRJ was updated and the terrain radar is really an essential part.

If this were a real plane, I agree.  However, not an essential part in the sim.  A nice part, fun to have part, but definitely not essential. 

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

There is an update coming, rest assured. It’s right now going through testing phase. There are a lot of other fixes in addition to adding the terrain radar. We want to make sure that all the new improvements and fixes we have planned are working correctly in beta first.

I understand that this is a feature that many have been waiting for a long time. However, it’s not possible with all the other work that has been also going on in the background to just push an update for a single feature and omit everything else out at this stage.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Jonas S. said:

Hi @Amateurdraw,

The terrain radar has already been implemented, it is not clear yet, when this will be released though.

Hi Jonas.  When @Mathijs Kokfirst mentioned the terrain display was being worked on here, he mentioned it could potentially be a bit of a frame hog.  Is that still the case?

For reference: 

Pixels = resources

zero sum game.  If you add on one side you have to subtract from the other.  Now how many or how many fractions of a frame are taken away?  Mainly system dependent.  I can tell you that on my medium budget build, I have run everything so far with zero issues (outside of the fly a long time stutters that I only ran into today because I sat at a gate in turn around for 3 hours).  This includes the Maddogx which can be tough on systems.  

• Upvote 1

Yes, but there is a difference between "after testing we expect it to be a light hit on frame rates" versus "this thing will grind a NASA supercomputer into the dust."

If Mathijs thought the penalty was severe enough to call it out when first mentioned, I'm curious where it stands now.  Maybe it's been optimized and they're not worried about it.  I'm sure they're not testing only on potatoes.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Secondator said:

...it’s not possible with all the other work that has been also going on in the background to just push an update for a single feature and omit everything else out at this stage.

As a PM on a different product, it's not your fault for the CRJ...but I will say: This is a problem Aerosoft created for itself by not performing smaller incremental releases.

It's been months, of what could have been smaller hotfixes and iterative feature releases, all piled up into one.

• Upvote 7

Man, there are a lot of folks here who need to go into the addon development business or at a minimum software development.  It is amazing how many know so much about the correct processes.  Truth be told, following many of these boards, the developers are damned if they do, damned if they don't know matter what they choose to do.  Small incremental increases mean they are completely incompetent, slower larger releases mean they don't care.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

20 hours ago, jstnj said:

As a PM on a different product, it's not your fault for the CRJ...but I will say: This is a problem Aerosoft created for itself by not performing smaller incremental releases.

It's been months, of what could have been smaller hotfixes and iterative feature releases, all piled up into one.

I've said this before, and whether or not it excuses anything is entirely dependent on the reader, but I've long since gotten the impression that Digital Aviation is a one-Hans band, and he's also got his hands full with the Twin Otter.

There can certainly be comments made about biting off more than one can chew, especially when there's money changing hands, but I don't believe there's a large team of people who could suddenly decide to release a torrent of fixes they've been holding close for no reason.

Also remember the fact that MSFS is currently a poorly documented, consistently moving target.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, zenit_swe said:

Just curious, do the CRJ actually have a ground radar or is it, like in the 737, an built-in terrain database? 

It's a database stored within the EGPWS. It contains a worldwide set of terrain features, obstacles and hardsurfaced runways with a length > 3.500 ft. The EGPWS computer permanently compares the actual aircraft position with the database and calculates terrain clearance envelopes ahead of the aircraft.

In addition there are two radar based navigation aids:

• the radar altimeter
  • the map mode of the WX radar for ground targets

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, KuntaKinte said:

the map mode of the WX radar for ground targets

Oh what a pitty that we don't have anything to engage those targets with 😃