Some suggestions to rapidly improve the accuracy and quality of sound

With the disappointing news that the rerecording of the sound set for the Twin Otter has failed, I thought I'd offer two suggestions that are both easier and faster than rerecording another sound set yet again:

1) Configure / remaster the existing sound set properly. The main issue with the current sound set is that it doesn't scale up or down with throttle input or prop pitch. You clearly already have good quality recordings at various throttle input levels, they are just hard-cut with no blending, and the change in pitch (the pitch of the sound, not the propeller pitch) is not smoothly proportional to throttle input. There's a tool to help with adjusting pitch and blending samples here: 

If the issue is that you don't have enough throttle samples, you can fake it a bit by adjusting the pitch of the existing samples to create a few "in between" samples and blend them together. Rinse and repeat with the rest of the sound set - adjust volume, splice out rough bits, etc... This would probably take about one day, would cost $0, and might improve the sound / immersion quite drastically. Maybe the result wouldn't be as good as a new sound set, but it might be an interim improvement while you continue to work on the long term fix.

2) Simply license a third party sound set. Contact one or more of the authors of the various mods that people are using, and offer them a one-time bulk license fee. Or just license the samples you feel are sub-par or missing. 

I certainly appreciate the effort to improve the product.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Enright said:

the change in pitch (the pitch of the sound, not the propeller pitch) is not smoothly proportional to throttle input. There's a tool to help with adjusting pitch and blending samples here: 

But are you sure it is supposed to be? It would be helpful if you could post a video showing what you are doing and how it sounds, and then saying what you are expecting with reference to that video. Taken at face value, and as far as I understand these things, your expectation that the pitch changes with throttle will only be true at very low power settings (idle to the governed range). Ones the props are spinning within the governed range, they are running at constant speed, so the pitch doesn't change with the power setting. There has been talk of missing turbine noise mixed in there, but that's a different thing.

• Upvote 1