SU9’s New Nosewheel Steering Axis

With Sim Update 9 MSFS finally has a native designated axis for the Nose Wheel axis. My question is, how do you decouple the nosewheel from the rudder when moving the rudder? Is this something that we can do in settings or do we need to wait for an update from Aerosoft? Thanks in advance!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Crabby said:

It works fine.  No need to have AS do anything.  

Yes, the nosewheel axis works fine. But when moving only the rudder, the nosewheel also moves with the full range of the rudder. 

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft
36 minutes ago, KuntaKinte said:

@SimWare I just came across your tutorial below. Does this remove the nosewheel steering authority from the rudder pedals completely?

Hi ,

Yes, it does indeed.

Both the rudder and the nose wheel are controlled separately. 

Best regards.

1 hour ago, KuntaKinte said:

@SimWare I just came across your tutorial below. Does this remove the nosewheel steering authority from the rudder pedals completely?

Hmm.  I just assigned a controller axis to nosewheel steering axis and am having no problems.  I don't have anything in Decrease or Increase steering.  Just the axis assignment. 

13 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Hmm.  I just assigned a controller axis to nosewheel steering axis and am having no problems.  I don't have anything in Decrease or Increase steering.  Just the axis assignment. 

Crabby since you have assigned a separate device for your tiller, when you move only your rudder with your rudder pedals does the nosewheel move with the full range of the rudder inputs? 

• Brand0n changed the title to SU9’s New Nosewheel Steering Axis

I have the same issue. My tiller is bound to the new steering axis and it works as intended. However my rudder pedals still have full steering authority. I wouldn't be surprised this requires changes from Aerosoft in the config. Maybe they will also make the steering switch operational with the next update.

• Aerosoft
6 minutes ago, falcon55 said:

I have the same issue. My tiller is bound to the new steering axis and it works as intended. However my rudder pedals still have full steering authority. I wouldn't be surprised this requires changes from Aerosoft in the config. Maybe they will also make the steering switch operational with the next update.

Can you check if the Steering axis isn't also assigned in the pedals profile along with the rudder in MSFS ?

1 hour ago, SimWare said:

Both the rudder and the nose wheel are controlled separately. 

Thanks. Is there a way to have

• full authority (80° either side) on the tiller and
  • a small amount (8° either side) on the rudder pedals?

Because that would be the RW behaviour ...

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, Crabby said:

Crabby, can you please post a screenshot of your nose wheel axis assignment ?
I can't get it to work here. I must be making a basic mistake I guess. 
What variant of the CRJ are you using ?
Thank you.

• Aerosoft

Ok, ignore my last message.
Here is what I have : 

NOSE WHEEL STEERING AXIS :
         - Controls the nose wheel steering

- The nose wheel does not move visually but correctly steers the plane.

RUDDER AXIS : 
         - Controls the rudder AND the nose wheel steering

- The nose wheel and the rudder move visually

Someone can confirm that, please ?

2 hours ago, SimWare said:

Can you check if the Steering axis isn't also assigned in the pedals profile along with the rudder in MSFS ?

Just checked it again, nosewheel steering is only bound to the tiller and the rudder axis is only bound to the rudder pedals.

1 hour ago, SimWare said:

Ok, ignore my last message.
Here is what I have : 

- Controls the nose wheel steering

- The nose wheel does not move visually but correctly steers the plane.

RUDDER AXIS : 
         - Controls the rudder AND the nose wheel steering

- The nose wheel and the rudder move visually

Someone can confirm that, please ?

For me it is like this:

- Controls the nose wheel steering (80° as expected)

- The nose wheel does move visually if the rudder axis is centered. Otherwise the rudder axis overwrites the wheel animation
         - The tiller in the virtual cockpit moves as expected

RUDDER AXIS : 
         - Controls the rudder AND the nose wheel steering to 80° (Should be 8°)

- The nose wheel and the rudder move visually (overwrites animation of the NWS axis)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Thank you.

I will your first point on the visual behavior.

As far as I can see, the default A320 behaves the same way.

I will talk to the developpers  to check if there is something to do at the addon level.

Thank you.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Ok, there are good news.

Hans, the (famous 🙂) developper is working on it.

It should be available in a next update soon.

Thank you for your patience.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, SimWare said:

Ok, there are good news.

Hans, the (famous 🙂) developper is working on it.

It should be available in a next update soon.

Thank you for your patience.

Thank you very much for your help!! 

On 4/27/2022 at 8:52 AM, Brand0n said:

Crabby since you have assigned a separate device for your tiller, when you move only your rudder with your rudder pedals does the nosewheel move with the full range of the rudder inputs? 

Yep, but I don't care.  When I am using the tiller, I just use the tiller and only use the pedals for brakes.  I am not looking outside so whatever else is going on does not register as an issue for me.  I sim like a pilot, from the cockpit.  I only look outside when at the gate or in the air to get a screen shot if there is something that warrants it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Crabby said:

Yep, but I don't care.  When I am using the tiller, I just use the tiller and only use the pedals for brakes.  I am not looking outside so whatever else is going on does not register as an issue for me.  I sim like a pilot, from the cockpit.  I only look outside when at the gate or in the air to get a screen shot if there is something that warrants it.

I also fly from the cockpit during 95% of my flights. If this was strictly a visual issue I would be inclined to agree with you. However, this issue affects the movement of the aircraft on the ground. This is especially a problem during the takeoff roll with a crosswind and using rudder inputs to correct. The nosewheel should not be moving (not just visually moving but actually moving and affecting the direction of the plane) 80° with use of the rudder.

Of course I know not everything can be modeled in a desktop simulator which has limitations but this can now be modeled correctly due to the new axis provided by MSFS. 

Different people have different elements of realism they want in a simulator so if you would like to keep this unrealistic behavior and continue operating in an unrealistic manner that is up to you. Who am I to judge? Some of us would actually like to see this added bit of realism be implemented which Hans is already working on. 

Thank you for your input. Have a great evening!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/5/2022 at 4:12 PM, Brand0n said:

I also fly from the cockpit during 95% of my flights. If this was strictly a visual issue I would be inclined to agree with you. However, this issue affects the movement of the aircraft on the ground. This is especially a problem during the takeoff roll with a crosswind and using rudder inputs to correct. The nosewheel should not be moving (not just visually moving but actually moving and affecting the direction of the plane) 80° with use of the rudder.

Of course I know not everything can be modeled in a desktop simulator which has limitations but this can now be modeled correctly due to the new axis provided by MSFS. 

Different people have different elements of realism they want in a simulator so if you would like to keep this unrealistic behavior and continue operating in an unrealistic manner that is up to you. Who am I to judge? Some of us would actually like to see this added bit of realism be implemented which Hans is already working on. 

Thank you for your input. Have a great evening!!

I am fine with them adding it.  My point is that it does not take away from my current enjoyment and I won't be checking to see if there is "any word on an update", not quoting you, just quoting in general.  The way I control works fine.  I don't deflect the rudder when taxiing at all, only use the rudder for brakes.  I don't touch the rudder until 80 knots when it becomes effective and I let go of my tiller.  If done this way, the "unrealistic" behavior is not only not noticed but not seen.  Same when I land, rudder steering until non-effective, hand on the tiller.  Again, I would have to be outside to notice the defect.  

Also, we have to remember that AS had no choice at the release date and only recently have the option to do it right.  Many are waiting on an update all the while piling new things they want to go into it and if worked on delays the update further and causes further complaints about no update. It is a vicious circle.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

The rudder axis still does not seem to work as expected. I have "Use Flight Simulator Steering Axis" checked. The tiller works as expected and can even be disconnected with the N/W Steering switch. However the rudder axis still has full authority, even with nose wheel steering off. I would expect it to be limited to 8° when the option to use a separate axis is enabled in the EFB.

I can confirm this as well, all the "Use Flight Simulator Steering Axis" seems to do is allow you to turn off and on the tiller from the cockpit although the rudders still have full 80 degree nose wheel authority. With the setting unchecked you can still use a tiller you just can't turn it on and off with the N/W STRG switch.

• 5 months later...