Configurator opens to blank screen

I recently purchased a Bravo Throttle Quadrant and the configurator only opens to a blank screen.

I have a 2020 M1 Mac mini running Monterey 12.3.1. 

followed all the steps from the read me first txt.

I have tried reinstalling multiple times and no luck.

any help would be greatly appreciated :), thanks!

below is a screenshot of the configurator when I try and run it.

Please login to display this image.

• Administrator

22 hours ago, Heinz Flichtbeil said:

I looked at both the links you provided.

when I tried to follow the steps from the first site upon entering the command "xattr -d com.apple.quarantine" it returned "Not enough arguments for option -d. Expected at least 2 but got 1..."

I'm pretty sure the issue is not with the gatekeeper as I allowed the app through the system preferences -> security and privacy -> general.

I looked at the second link and maybe I followed the steps wrong (my IT knowledge is not great) but no luck with that either :/.

• Administrator

Hello,

do you have put in it in this way (point 4 of my link):

"xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /<path to X-Plane>\ X-Plane.app"

But if we cannot solve it here, please open a Ticket with us:

Aerosoft GmbH | My Tickets | Submit a Ticket

Enter there the correct "Product Name" (Honeycomb Configurator).

Thank you.

This is the path to my X-plane folder: /Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common.

To get the command I typed out the "xattr -d com.apple.quarantine" then dragged my X-plane folder into the terminal and the path was added.

This was the command I entered:

"xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Users/tim/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane\ 11"

which returned: xattr: /Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane 11: No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine"

I also tried:

"xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Users/tim/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane\ 11/X-Plane.app"

which returned: "xattr: /Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane 11/X-Plane.app: No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine"

Thank you for all your help so far. I really appreciate  you trying to help and your fast replies.

• Administrator

ok, thank you.

But if you don't set the path into "" then the path was created wrong from macOS.

You see it at the wrong part .../Applikation\ Support/... this must be correct: .../Applikation Support/... 

And also the last part is wrong .../X-Plane\ 11... Correct is: .../X-Plane 11/...

So best way set the whole path in "" like:

"/Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane 11/X-Plane.app"

If that is your path to the installed X-Plane 11 folder.

Greets Heinz

Yes that is the path to my X-Plane folder.

before entering the command I checked the spelling and capitals before entering to make sure it was all correct.  

This is what entered:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "/Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane 11/X-Plane.app"

and it returned:

xattr: /Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane 11/X-Plane.app: No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine

I also tried entering it a bunch of different ways...

Entered: xattr -d com.apple.quarantine"/Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane 11/X-Plane.app"

(no space between quarantine and path)

Returned: Not enough arguments for option -d. Expected at least 2 but got 1...

Entered: xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "/Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane 11/"

(without the X-plane.app at the end)

Returned: xattr: /Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane 11/: No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine

Entered: xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "/Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane 11"

(without the slash at the end)

Returned: xattr: /Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/X-Plane 11: No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine

I have no idea if telling you all the different things I entered and what they returned helps or not so sorry if I added a bunch of information that isn't necessary.

Edit: I also tried to open the configurator again after entering something new in the terminal and it is still opening to the blank screen. (as shown in my first post)

Cheers Tim,

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I got the Honeycomb Configurator and then both Alpha and Bravo to work on my Macbook Pro : - )))

As Heinz already suggested, it has to do with the Mac filesystem and specifically their use of "extended file attributes" (xattr). I tried first with the instctruction from Heinz to modify the com.apple.quarantine attributes. This did not help in my case.

This is what I did. WARNING: Along the way I removed ALL extended attributes recursively under the whole X-Plane 11 installation directory. You must decide yourself if you want to do this. I did this around end of February i.e. almost 2 months ago. I have not noticed any negative impact to my system. And I use this laptop at least 10 hours a day. (BTW, I have done the same sometimes to my work files, MS Office files and other stuff where I have had problems with file access, and I have not noticed any harm.)

Close X-Plane

Install Honeycomb Configurator to your X-Plane 11

# try if it works. If it opens blank or grey or just empty, do  this

Close X-Plane

Close Honeycomb configurator

# change to your X-Plane-11 installation directory. (This is only to verify that you know where it is on your system)

cd /Users/myuser/X-Plane-11

# remove all xattr attributes (same path in the command as above after the "cd" command)

xattr -cr /Users/myuser/X-Plane-11

# try if it works. If not, you may have to do also this

Close X-Plane

System Settings - Privacy& Security - Accessibility - X-Plane must be enabled. If it is not

- add X-Plane.app

- add honeycomb-configurator.app

# try if it works. If not, you may have to do also this

Close X-Plane

System settings - Privacy&Security - Full Disk Access

- add X-Plane.app

- add honeycomb-configurator.app

# try if it works. If not, remove the extended attributes again

Close X-Plane

# remove all xattr attributes (same path in the command as above after the "cd" command)

# try if it works. If not

Close X-Plane

reboot

# try if it works. Hopefully it works now

# if it works

Close X-Plane

Install datareftool (datareftool.com)

# try if it works. For me it worked straight away. If not, remove the extended attributes again

Close X-Plane

# try if it works. Hopefully it does. Take a backup immediately.

After this, the Bravo default profile in Honeycomb configurator worked quite well even without modifications including the FCU controller

Alpha I configured in X-Plane 11 settings based on this video (Alpha settings shown at 2min 25sec onwards)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6xRm4EpZMk&list=PL-CM2J7huv9GsJLInEaXS71CKKU_5g3Sl&index=7

I wish you luck. Flying is great, when you get it working.

P.S.

For what it is worth, in my opinion Apple made the filesystem worse with Big Sur and Ventura. I have had lots of problems with those attributes also on my work programs like MS Office and some programming IDEs not being to able to edit their own files. I think the problem started after an upgrade when Big Sur asked me the first time: "Do you want to give program X full rights to your whole disk" - or something like that. I of course answered NO, and after that I have not been able to overcome this problem completely. My colleaque said YES to the first question and he does not have these problems : }

Ventura 13.2.1 on MacBook Pro mid 2019 - 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 

• Thanks 1