Can't get the VDGS to work with Brussels

Abriael

15 minutes ago, BenBaron said:

Hi Ollie,

sorry for the problems you are experiencing, but we need to do the problem solving a more orderly fashion in order to really find out what is going on: 

On the one hand you say, that the "vdgs program doesn't appear in [your] task manger processes". This indicates, that the autostart might not be properly setup on your system and as the application is not meant to be started manually, this might already be indicative of a deeper problem. So please attach your "exe.xml" file from "C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator" to this thread for me to review.

Then, in the log you provided there is the line "20:24:33 | The simulator has shutdown unexpectedly", which to me looks like your simulator "might" have crashed...at least during that one run? At least the vdgs driver could not find your "Flightsimulator.exe" was running any more and decided it was best to just quit.

Morning Ben, thanks for the help. Please find the exe.xml attached. I think the log with the sim shutting down was when I set ShowInSimMessages=1 to see if I could see it doing anything. I just got a load of message boxes appear (relating to the messages in the log), but the sim never crashed during this time - it was still fully functional. The .ini is now back to default (1, 0, 0). The bizarre thing is that about 1 in every 20 reboots or so of MSFS/my PC, it does load the module. But as you can imagine, it's not practical to reboot for the best part of 3 hours until it decides to behave itself... if you need any other information, please let me know. 

Not sure if it's relevant, but when I uninstall the dependencies and airport, after re-installing, it still knows I changed my key binding to RSHIFT+X, suggesting the uninstall doesn't remove everything - is there a set of folders/locations you can give me to make my PC feel like it's never seen this stuff before so I can try afresh? If there's some latent memory of what went before, if there were issues during the first install, perhaps they're still hanging over? 

exe.xml

• Aerosoft

Hi Ollie,

having the Community folder on C:\ can always cause headaches for programs due to rights issues, where, if an application is running from there, it is not granted all the required rights and fails in some area. Could be that this is the reason as to why the vdgs-driver cannot detect your MSFS is running and thus closes.

I am going to prepare a special test version for you in the next time to try if you can get further with that mechnism removed. Will let you know once I have it ready.

Thanks Ben! So... I took your comments about it being on C (I can't avoid that unfortunately) but tried running MSFS as admin and that has let me access the VDGS module. I'm sure I've tried that combo previously, so maybe this is just one of those 1/20 occasions where it works. I haven't tried to replicate, but will do so once I've enjoyed some fully-immersive flying in and out of EBBR (whilst it works!!). I'll keep you posted but keen to try any patch, too... In addition, is there a way to set the flight number that displays ahead of TOBT other than exiting the flight and setting it on the Customisations for the plane within the World Map?

6 hours ago, ollie.j said:

Thanks Ben! So... I took your comments about it being on C (I can't avoid that unfortunately) but tried running MSFS as admin and that has let me access the VDGS module. I'm sure I've tried that combo previously, so maybe this is just one of those 1/20 occasions where it works. I haven't tried to replicate, but will do so once I've enjoyed some fully-immersive flying in and out of EBBR (whilst it works!!). I'll keep you posted but keen to try any patch, too... In addition, is there a way to set the flight number that displays ahead of TOBT other than exiting the flight and setting it on the Customisations for the plane within the World Map?

It was a fluke. I tried 2x again to start (as admin) and the ability to use VDGS has gone again... Looking forward to the test patch. 

On 4/23/2022 at 12:23 PM, ollie.j said:

It was a fluke. I tried 2x again to start (as admin) and the ability to use VDGS has gone again... Looking forward to the test pat

I tried the new module, but no joy. The log shows INIT when I manually loaded the module after it didn't load using SHIFT+V (not running in task manager). DE-INIT is when I restarted PC. I tried running MSFS as admin and loading it through Xbox app. What next?

aerosoft-vdgs-driver-log.log

44 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Thanks for your assistance Ollie. we do have two more customers who see the same so we are really trying to sort this out.

Happy to help in whatever way I can to get this working!! The scenery is beautiful and the vdgs adds so much immersion (when it works…). Look forward to getting things more stable/robust/universal. 

• Like 2

• Aerosoft
vor 11 Stunden schrieb ollie.j:

It was a fluke. I tried 2x again to start (as admin) and the ability to use VDGS has gone again... Looking forward to the test pat

I tried the new module, but no joy. The log shows INIT when I manually loaded the module after it didn't load using SHIFT+V (not running in task manager). DE-INIT is when I restarted PC. I tried running MSFS as admin and loading it through Xbox app. What next?

aerosoft-vdgs-driver-log.log 332 B · 1 Download

Hi Ollie,

in order for the log to show full output, you need to set and save "Verbose=1" in the "aerosoft-vdgs-driver-log.ini". So please set that again. But: right now the module will definitely not work, when started manually. It needs to go through the automatic MSFS startup process for being initialized correctly. So, this is normal behaviour and we need to try and get this running for you.

Please try to also check "Run this program as an administator" for the aerosoft-vdgs-driver.exe.

Please login to display this image.

Startup the sim and once running in main menu, double check in task-manager, as to whether aerosoft-vdgs-driver.exe is running, or not. Might also be running under the FlightSimulator.exe itself. If it is running, load into scenery and try to bring up the ui. In any way, reattach any possible log file.

6 hours ago, BenBaron said:

Hi Ollie,

in order for the log to show full output, you need to set and save "Verbose=1" in the "aerosoft-vdgs-driver-log.ini". So please set that again. But: right now the module will definitely not work, when started manually. It needs to go through the automatic MSFS startup process for being initialized correctly. So, this is normal behaviour and we need to try and get this running for you.

Please try to also check "Run this program as an administator" for the aerosoft-vdgs-driver.exe.

Startup the sim and once running in main menu, double check in task-manager, as to whether aerosoft-vdgs-driver.exe is running, or not. Might also be running under the FlightSimulator.exe itself. If it is running, load into scenery and try to bring up the ui. In any way, reattach any possible log file.

Hi Ben, I followed your instructions. Tried loading through Xbox and as Admin (for MSFS). Nothing... No update in the log (despite setting Verbose=1 in the .ini). It didn't show in Task Manager (either as its own process or under the MSFS app). I then opened the module (whilst MSFS was open) manually, which is where it started doing stuff in the logs. I then closed MSFS and restarted. First of all, I was spawned at EBBR and it came up saying no airports identified. Then I went back out and into MSFS again and it started to work. Logs attached. Just trying to replicate and see what happens... will let you know. 

33 minutes ago, ollie.j said:

Hi Ben, I followed your instructions. Tried loading through Xbox and as Admin (for MSFS). Nothing... No update in the log (despite setting Verbose=1 in the .ini). It didn't show in Task Manager (either as its own process or under the MSFS app). I then opened the module (whilst MSFS was open) manually, which is where it started doing stuff in the logs. I then closed MSFS and restarted. First of all, I was spawned at EBBR and it came up saying no airports identified. Then I went back out and into MSFS again and it started to work. Logs attached. Just trying to replicate and see what happens... will let you know. 

aerosoft-vdgs-driver-log.log 7.97 kB · 1 download

Progress... I can repeat this...

1. Open MSFS (if you run VDGS, it'll do nothing)

2. Run the VDGS driver manually

3. (If you go to EBBR now, it will open but say no airport found)

4. Close MSFS and restart it

5. At EBBR, the module now works.

If you restart the PC, you have to start from 1 again. So it looks like the software needs 'help' loading the module... It's not ideal, but hopefully this helps you troubleshoot and provides an interim workaround (that just involves having to restart MSFS again - not a quick process as we all know!!). I've replicated this 2x now. I'll keep trying and let you know if it starts not behaving the same way. I hope now you can identify what's the problem to find a solution?

• Thanks 2

• Aerosoft

Hi Ollie,

thanks for your valuable observations...but something really basic still seems to be off: where is the "aerosoft-vdgs-driver.exe" located on your system? As in your xml it states the path should be "C:\MSFS\Community\aerosoft-vdgs-driver\aerosoft-vdgs-driver.exe", but then the vdgs-driver itselfs detects itself running somehwere in "C:\Users\ollie\Desktop\". Then this would also explain, as to why it cannot be auto-started by MSFS...as it is not where it is supposed to be. Also this error is pointing into the same direction: "Airport 'EBBR' COULD NOT be verified, reason: 'PACKAGE_NAME_UNVERIFIED'".

4 hours ago, BenBaron said:

Hi Ollie,

thanks for your valuable observations...but something really basic still seems to be off: where is the "aerosoft-vdgs-driver.exe" located on your system? As in your xml it states the path should be "C:\MSFS\Community\aerosoft-vdgs-driver\aerosoft-vdgs-driver.exe", but then the vdgs-driver itselfs detects itself running somehwere in "C:\Users\ollie\Desktop\". Then this would also explain, as to why it cannot be auto-started by MSFS...as it is not where it is supposed to be. Also this error is pointing into the same direction: "Airport 'EBBR' COULD NOT be verified, reason: 'PACKAGE_NAME_UNVERIFIED'".

Hi Ben - we're making progress. I can't explain the Desktop link, other than there being an older copy of the module folder there from when I was troubleshooting initially. I deleted it just in case - can confirm everything is now ONLY in the Community folder.

So now I can get it working like this:

1. Run MSFS and spawn at EBBR (no VDGS loading)

2. Restart the flight (not the sim!!!!)

3. Now VDGS loads

Again, it's not perfect, but a flight restart takes maybe 30-60 seconds (better than 5-10mins for sim restart).

Latest logs attached. Hope it helps?

• Aerosoft

Glad you have found an interim work-around that works for you, Ollie. As to why there seems to be some kind of delayed initialization going on for you, I can only speculate for now. I will let you know, once I have given it some more thought 🙂 .

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 8:11 PM, ollie.j said:

Hi Ben - we're making progress. I can't explain the Desktop link, other than there being an older copy of the module folder there from when I was troubleshooting initially. I deleted it just in case - can confirm everything is now ONLY in the Community folder.

So now I can get it working like this:

1. Run MSFS and spawn at EBBR (no VDGS loading)

2. Restart the flight (not the sim!!!!)

3. Now VDGS loads

Again, it's not perfect, but a flight restart takes maybe 30-60 seconds (better than 5-10mins for sim restart).

Latest logs attached. Hope it helps?

aerosoft-vdgs-driver-log.log 8 kB · 2 downloads

I'm also having an issue with the VDGS menu not opening with the SHIFT + V, but exiting to the main menu and restarting the flight also works for me. Hopefully a fix can be found as forgetting to restart the flight is a little annoying. My Community Folder is located on a separate drive.

I've also updated to the latest version, and have noticed that the VDGS will not auto load with MSFS, I have to double click on the file to load it, then start a flight, exit to the main menu, then restart the flight. Files attached.

aerosoft-vdgs-driver-log.log exe.xml

• Aerosoft
vor 17 Stunden schrieb AndyM001:

I'm also having an issue with the VDGS menu not opening with the SHIFT + V, but exiting to the main menu and restarting the flight also works for me. Hopefully a fix can be found as forgetting to restart the flight is a little annoying. My Community Folder is located on a separate drive.

I've also updated to the latest version, and have noticed that the VDGS will not auto load with MSFS, I have to double click on the file to load it, then start a flight, exit to the main menu, then restart the flight. Files attached.

aerosoft-vdgs-driver-log.log 4 kB · 1 Download exe.xml 437 B · 1 Download

Thanks Andy for the report as well: once I have a version ready to test that uses a different initialization structure I will let you know in here.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BenBaron said:

Thanks Andy for the report as well: once I have a version ready to test that uses a different initialization structure I will let you know in here.

Thanks Ben. Funnily enough, again the VDGS didn't auto start with MSFS, I had to start it manually, but, I didn't have to exit the flight and restart it to get it to work, I got the interface up first attempt.

• Thanks 2

Since I was observing the same annoying issue eventually I was able to find a solution, at least for my case, to avoid manual startup.

Actually the default Win10 OS Defender antivirus (not using any other AV on my system) seems to interfere: hence simply preset an exclusion for the aerosoft-vdgs-driver.exe executable in the Windows security settings.

Now the executable nicely and automatically intializes at startup (and de-init as well when quitting), no need to preset the executable to run as admin and no need to switch  Defender off.

I hope it can help.

• Thanks 1

I don't use Windows Defender, but I have Norton installed, will look in to seeing Norton is stopping the file from initialising. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Tried the excludes in Norton and it's still not auto loading with MSFS.

• Aerosoft
vor 14 Stunden schrieb lucky67:

Since I was observing the same annoying issue eventually I was able to find a solution, at least for my case, to avoid manual startup.

Actually the default Win10 OS Defender antivirus (not using any other AV on my system) seems to interfere: hence simply preset an exclusion for the aerosoft-vdgs-driver.exe executable in the Windows security settings.

Now the executable nicely and automatically intializes at startup (and de-init as well when quitting), no need to preset the executable to run as admin and no need to switch  Defender off.

I hope it can help.

Thanks for that valuable information. Highly appreciated. So...you are saying that is now works reliably for you, everytime you start the sim?

I also use Win10 defender, but don't have to do it....but who knows what those bits and bytes are doing in the background anyways 🙂 .

Maybe the others experiencing this problem can chime in, if adding the aerosoft-vdgs-driver.exe to their AntiVirus excludes helps letting MSFS autostart it.

• Aerosoft
vor 13 Stunden schrieb AndyM001:

I don't use Windows Defender, but I have Norton installed, will look in to seeing Norton is stopping the file from initialising. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Tried the excludes in Norton and it's still not auto loading with MSFS.

Can you alsp still add an exclusion to Windows Defender, anyways? Just to make sure it is made sure it is not interfering in the background.

2 hours ago, BenBaron said:

Can you alsp still add an exclusion to Windows Defender, anyways? Just to make sure it is made sure it is not interfering in the background.

Okay, I had to turn Defender 'on' to add the Exclusion, which I did, but the VDGS file will still not auto load with MSFS.

I have found that once MSFS has loaded, if I manually start VDGS before I do anything else, I can get the interface up straight away when spawning at the airport without having to exit the flight and restarting it. So for me, the only issue is trying to get it to auto start with MSFS.

• Aerosoft
16 minutes ago, AndyM001 said:

Okay, I had to turn Defender 'on' to add the Exclusion, which I did, but the VDGS file will still not auto load with MSFS.

I have found that once MSFS has loaded, if I manually start VDGS before I do anything else, I can get the interface up straight away when spawning at the airport without having to exit the flight and restarting it. So for me, the only issue is trying to get it to auto start with MSFS.

But it is included in your exe.xml? :)

10 minutes ago, Jonas S. said:

But it is included in your exe.xml? :)

Okay, I've found that if I run MSFS as 'Admin', the VDGS does auto load with MSFS, so will be doing that in future. Obviously something in my settings somewhere preventing the exe.xml from running.

• Thanks 2

• Aerosoft
vor 10 Minuten schrieb AndyM001:

Okay, I've found that if I run MSFS as 'Admin', the VDGS does auto load with MSFS, so will be doing that in future. Obviously something in my settings somewhere preventing the exe.xml from running.

Yeah: having an application start another application can sometimes cause funky results, so making sure the calling application has as many right as possible (aka admin) can surely be helpful.

Thanks for letting us know what did the trick for you.