EBBR AI Traffic

pchitkara

I use AIG at 100% and see plenty of A320s and some 737 at stands. However I didn't see any heavies like the 777/787/747 at all. Any clues will be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Please login to display this image.

• Like 2

most of the parking stands have a 18meter radius. If you look in the attached table you will see the radius needed for different AI type. This will also affect ATC giving instructions to users where to park with bigger planes ( for example the FBW A380 in the future. ). I am not an expert in parking places for EBBR, but at the terminals with only 18 meter you will only get smaller AI.

don't get me wrong I am loving this scenery,just hoping that someone will update the gate sizes if possible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jo Erlend said:

Hello, I'll look into adding some more heavy stands in the first update :)

that would be really great!!  and as pchitkara said that will be cherry on this fabulous cake.

• Thanks 1

@Jo Erlend

Just wanted to share a bit of research on EBBR I finished with a few minutes ago. There were 203 arrivals during the past 24 hours at EBBR. 26 of these were heavies with 9 being cargo flights. None of them, according to Flightaware, parked at a gate. All were either parked at Cargo stands, or at hardstands away from the terminals. None of these aircraft utilized VDGS but did require the use of passenger buses. I bring this up because there isn’t room at the EBBR terminals for a heavy to park. I've seen this firsthand twice.

• Thanks 2

The end of pier A is only for Brussels Airlines heavies. The gates become "T" gates in the morning for the African flights, then revert to normal "A" gates. So those spots should be coded with BEL only if you increase their size for heavies.

Other passenger heavies park at pier B indeed, or on apron 3 (the remote stands between pier B and the satellite building).

Another issue with the parking is that none of them seem to have airlineCodes. Brussels has a very specific distinction between what parks at pier A and what at pier B (i.e. Schengen and non-Schengen flights respectively).

@Jo Erlend If you need any help with the parking, let me know. I'm a dev at MAIW and also co-authored an AFD for EBBR with AIG back when they still had an AFD team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

@Jo ErlendApologies, you're right (of course). When I decompiled the bgl with Airport2Project to make some personal modifications, the airlineCodes were ommitted from the xml output. But looking at the bgl with BglViewer they are there indeed.

I do see wrong airlines at the wrong gates, but there are two reasons for this:

1. The annoying extra 6m per parking spot results in aircraft always skipping a gate at the piers. Intended behaviour according to Asobo, but it results in a shortage of parking at the piers and AI aircraft wandering off to other spots.
  2. It appears that all GATE spots are coded, even at remote stands. This leads to aircraft parking at any GATE spot that is large enough even if it's at the wrong pier, because they can't find one that is uncoded when all the ones assigned to that airline are already occupied. It also leads to aircraft parking at remote stands while there's sufficient parking at the piers.

My suggestion for issue 1 would be to first reduce the radius of the GATE_MEDIUM parking from 19m to 18m, which is still large enough to park up to an A321 according to the AIG OCI parking table. Then reduce every other parking spot further so that the dashed lines don't cross. I think you should be able to still get 13m in between the 18m spots which isn't great, but it's enough to avoid that a Dash 8 or CRJ fills an 18m spot that is needed for A319's.

To solve issue 2, you only want to code the parking at the piers. Or the remote stands where you only want particular airlines to park, such as the low-cost parking at stands 120 till 138. Always leave other remote parking spots uncoded so they function as overflow parking. I personally would leave aprons 3, 4 and 51b uncoded. 3 south and 51b in particular are for longer term parking so you wouldn't want to see normal scheduled traffic park there. The same for CARGO. I would leave apron 60 uncoded so cargo flights give priority to apron 9.

And for anyone relying on Google Maps to check what parks where: those images were taken during the beginning of the COVID crisis. Today, you won't see that many Brussels Airlines, Eurowings and TUI flights filling up remote stands.

Sorry if this is all a bit much, but I come from a community that pays a lot of attention to such details. And this scenery is a testimony to your unprecedented attention to detail. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Aerosoft
4 hours ago, Tirithon said:

Sorry if this is all a bit much, but I come from a community that pays a lot of attention to such details. And this scenery is a testimony to your unprecedented attention to detail

Do not apologize, you found something you feel could be done better and assisted in solving it. 

I am not the dev of this product and simply do not know if it is feasible. What I do know is that the way you reported the issue is perfect. 

• Like 2

• Developer
15 hours ago, Tirithon said:

@Jo ErlendApologies, you're right (of course). When I decompiled the bgl with Airport2Project to make some personal modifications, the airlineCodes were ommitted from the xml output. But looking at the bgl with BglViewer they are there indeed.

I do see wrong airlines at the wrong gates, but there are two reasons for this:

1. The annoying extra 6m per parking spot results in aircraft always skipping a gate at the piers. Intended behaviour according to Asobo, but it results in a shortage of parking at the piers and AI aircraft wandering off to other spots.
  2. It appears that all GATE spots are coded, even at remote stands. This leads to aircraft parking at any GATE spot that is large enough even if it's at the wrong pier, because they can't find one that is uncoded when all the ones assigned to that airline are already occupied. It also leads to aircraft parking at remote stands while there's sufficient parking at the piers.

My suggestion for issue 1 would be to first reduce the radius of the GATE_MEDIUM parking from 19m to 18m, which is still large enough to park up to an A321 according to the AIG OCI parking table. Then reduce every other parking spot further so that the dashed lines don't cross. I think you should be able to still get 13m in between the 18m spots which isn't great, but it's enough to avoid that a Dash 8 or CRJ fills an 18m spot that is needed for A319's.

To solve issue 2, you only want to code the parking at the piers. Or the remote stands where you only want particular airlines to park, such as the low-cost parking at stands 120 till 138. Always leave other remote parking spots uncoded so they function as overflow parking. I personally would leave aprons 3, 4 and 51b uncoded. 3 south and 51b in particular are for longer term parking so you wouldn't want to see normal scheduled traffic park there. The same for CARGO. I would leave apron 60 uncoded so cargo flights give priority to apron 9.

And for anyone relying on Google Maps to check what parks where: those images were taken during the beginning of the COVID crisis. Today, you won't see that many Brussels Airlines, Eurowings and TUI flights filling up remote stands.

Sorry if this is all a bit much, but I come from a community that pays a lot of attention to such details. And this scenery is a testimony to your unprecedented attention to detail. :)

Good to know that the airline codes didn't go missing during compile :) 

In the next update there are some adjustments to the sizes and placements to try and have as many of the stands around pier a and b active/available for AI and to avoid as much of the overlapping issue as possible, as you said the inflated radius on the parkings in MSFS doesn't help at all.
Scrapping the airline codes for the remote stands is a good idea and I'll do that as well!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 10:47 PM, Jo Erlend said:

Good to know that the airline codes didn't go missing during compile :) 

In the next update there are some adjustments to the sizes and placements to try and have as many of the stands around pier a and b active/available for AI and to avoid as much of the overlapping issue as possible, as you said the inflated radius on the parkings in MSFS doesn't help at all.
Scrapping the airline codes for the remote stands is a good idea and I'll do that as well!

Hello while updating can you add pushback instructions to each gate? Some have none and AI and player cannot use default pushback from those gates.

• Developer

Hi, which gates are you missing pushback from? Just so I can try and recreate it on my end. After giving it a quick glance there shouldn't be any exclude of those service vehicles.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Developer

Version 1.0.1 is now available through Aerosoft One!

Spoiler
  • Fixed LOD issue on jetway pier B
  • Fixed LOD issue on B8 Taxiway signs
  • Added detailed and accurate Tower interior
  • Added more heavy stands around Pier A & B
  • Removed snow accumulation inside of Connector interior
  • Removed snow accumulation inside of Lufthansa hangar
  • Reworked empty road signs next to P3
  • Added more LODs to equipment models
  • Smoothed out terrain bump on TWY E5
  • Fixed 3D mesh gap between doors on ExecuJet hangar
  • Added more ground dirt and water spill decals around stands
  • Fixed various 3D mesh errors around Connector / Pier A transition
  • Removed Stand 958
  • Reworked service road markings around stand 958
  • Added spotter platform 01/19 and 07R/25L
  • Added more vehicle traffic around Pier A
  • Improved VFX on ground vehicle traffic
  • Added missing beacon light on jetways in transit (Pier A)
  • Added ground crew inside of jetways (Non-glass variant, Pier B)
  • Reworked AFCAD parking layout and parking radii
  • Reworked ramp gates to reduce flickering
  • Added highly accurate tower interior
  • Added Passenger groups at Pier A and B
  • Improved glass effects on Pier A and B
  • Added starts for heli stands next to the police hangar
  • Added missing rails inside terminal interiors
  • Fixed mesh gaps between floor and moving walkways in terminal interiors
  • Added missing overpass bridges close to the airport
  • Various performance optimizations