Cannot change holding pattern radial or inbound course

I tried to fly a holding pattern in the CRJ9 for the first time today. I entered the hold at ERNOV at EKCH into the FMS, but the radial and inbound course were not as published in the charts, instead directly taken from my course (like the red line in the picture). I tried to change them but it wouldn't let me input anything into those two on the HOLD page. EXEC and CANCEL MOD showed up but the course didn't change and nothing happened when I pressed EXEC. I could change the leg time, but not the radial or the inbound course. Then, on the LEGS page, when I tried to copy the next waypoint after the hold in order to delete the hold, the sim froze.

Please login to display this image.

Am I missing something or is this a bug? And how do I fix it? I have Navigraph navdata installed if it makes any difference. 

4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I tried this procedure this morning but could not recreate the freeze, neither could our tester.
Can somebody else try to recreate this so we get some more information on this?

I suspect two problems here, the hold itself and the waypoint - presumably the hold fix is either at the start of the approach or in the approach? in which case it might just be the same problem we've had with the end of the flightplan getting corrupted ( I've had that occasionally but unrepeatably when I've been testing holds at the start of approach, but similarily had it just changing approach too without doing anything with holds ).

If the OP can list the whole plan I'll try and test.

Looking at the plate this is a published hold not a mandatory hold.  ATC would give you instructions like "Direct ERNOV, hold as published...."  Then you would execute the hold as published.  So, there would be no need to include this hold in the flight plan.  Of course, it is Europe so there may be some regulation I am unaware of.   This is not a hold in lieu of procedure turn like you would find on an approach procedure like an ILS. 

Was this flight loaded via a Simbrief flight plan?  If so, please attach it here so we can attempt to replicate. 

On 4/18/2022 at 1:25 PM, rasmulisone said:

I tried to fly a holding pattern in the CRJ9 for the first time today. I entered the hold at ERNOV at EKCH into the FMS, but the radial and inbound course were not as published in the charts, instead directly taken from my course (like the red line in the picture). I tried to change them but it wouldn't let me input anything into those two on the HOLD page. EXEC and CANCEL MOD showed up but the course didn't change and nothing happened when I pressed EXEC. I could change the leg time, but not the radial or the inbound course. Then, on the LEGS page, when I tried to copy the next waypoint after the hold in order to delete the hold, the sim froze.

Am I missing something or is this a bug? And how do I fix it? I have Navigraph navdata installed if it makes any difference. 

Ah wait a sec - could you clarify if you armed the hold exit before you tried copying over the LEGS entry? presumably if you tried copying over the next WP it hadn't sequenced to there itself yet.

Maybe instead of focusing on the sim freeze, also acknowledge the problem mentioned in the topic title? Regardless of whether it is a published or mandatory hold, the inbound course should be able to be modified. So perhaps see if THAT issue can be reproduced...

• Like 1

I'm sorry, for some reason I didn't get any email notifications so I didn't see your replies.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:29 PM, Richard Dastardly said:

I suspect two problems here, the hold itself and the waypoint - presumably the hold fix is either at the start of the approach or in the approach? in which case it might just be the same problem we've had with the end of the flightplan getting corrupted ( I've had that occasionally but unrepeatably when I've been testing holds at the start of approach, but similarily had it just changing approach too without doing anything with holds ).

If the OP can list the whole plan I'll try and test.

The hold fix is the initial approach fix that the approach is named after. ERNO1N at EKCH. Here's the whole flight plan:

Please login to display this image.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:56 PM, Crabby said:

Looking at the plate this is a published hold not a mandatory hold.  ATC would give you instructions like "Direct ERNOV, hold as published...."  Then you would execute the hold as published.  So, there would be no need to include this hold in the flight plan.  Of course, it is Europe so there may be some regulation I am unaware of.   This is not a hold in lieu of procedure turn like you would find on an approach procedure like an ILS. 

Was this flight loaded via a Simbrief flight plan?  If so, please attach it here so we can attempt to replicate. 

This was just a test flight, and the hold wasn't in the flight plan, I added it from the HOLD page. No Simbrief plan, just the Navigraph route which I manually entered into the FMS.

On 4/20/2022 at 12:47 AM, Richard Dastardly said:

Ah wait a sec - could you clarify if you armed the hold exit before you tried copying over the LEGS entry? presumably if you tried copying over the next WP it hadn't sequenced to there itself yet.

I did not arm hold exit. But isn't it still a problem if the sim freezes when I try to copy it without arming hold exit?

2 hours ago, rasmulisone said:

I did not arm hold exit. But isn't it still a problem if the sim freezes when I try to copy it without arming hold exit?

It is, but exact steps help clarify why it's doing it and what we're meant to be reproducing.

Strange, I entered a hold last night in the UK (TARTN for EGPH) and it let me update the inbound course, speed and timed leg settings with no issue.  

Can you replicate at a different published hold? 

17 minutes ago, Trevor Hannant said:

Strange, I entered a hold last night in the UK (TARTN for EGPH) and it let me update the inbound course, speed and timed leg settings with no issue.  

Can you replicate at a different published hold? 

I don't know, I haven't tried since. I might try tomorrow if SU9 hasn't broken the plane...

1 hour ago, Richard Dastardly said:

It is, but exact steps help clarify why it's doing it and what we're meant to be reproducing.

I had the flight plan from Navigraph manually entered into the FMS (without the hold). Then in flight I went to the HOLD page and selected ERNOV. The hold was the wrong heading, so I tried to change the radial. The scratchpad emptied and EXEC and CANCEL MOD showed up but the radial didn't change. If I clicked on EXEC or CANCEL MOD, they would disappear, with the radial unchanged. Same exact thing with the inbound course. The leg time I was able to change as expected. Then I went to the LEGS page and clicked on the first waypoint after the hold (CH886) and the sim froze. I had to end task in Task Manager. This was all before I actually reached the hold.

As a matter of fact I'm not sure how I tried to enter the radial and inbound course, but I assumed I'd done it right, because EXEC and CANCEL MOD showed up, but even if I entered them wrong, the freezing of the sim is at least still a problem.

The hold part itself is very odd but I still think there's a seperate issue, there's been numerous problems with flightplan editing crashing the sim. I don't use the hold much because it never wants to fly anything I put in anyway, but the last time I was testing holds i had to enter the outbound leg & then entry & then outbound again to get the right outbound ( which it promptly didn't fly properly anyway! ).

Okay, I tried the exact same flight again and it worked. I don't know if SU9 fixed it or if I indeed tried to enter them wrong before, but now I was also able to delete the hold the same way with no freeze. After entering the hold in there again and actually reaching the hold, the autopilot wouldn't fly the teardrop entry or the outbound legs correctly, but flying them with heading mode and using NAV mode in the inbound leg and the turns seemed to work.