Prepar3D v4.5 - Performance Optimisation & FPS rate

Hi,

I hope you are well. Happy Easter and hope you have a lovely weekend ahead.

As an avgeek and having had flight simulator for the past 13/14 years (I am now 20! - turning 21 next week) I absolutely love planes, aircraft and all things aviation related! I am in the final few months of my Aviation and Airport Management course at University College Birmingham and aspire to brush up on my maths and physics before attempting the easyJet aptitude test and cadet scheme toward the end of this year.

I haven’t been on flight sim (Prepar3dv4.5) since February this year due to the workload of university, and my part-time self-employed. I am going to start flying again this week/next as I hand in my dissertation.

One thing that has been bugging me for years to call is that for some reason or another my FPS never seems to be very good unless I am in the air up in the cruise. I regard my self as having an adequate computer and graphics card, however nothing that I do including changing settings seems to make a difference which is quite upsetting. To note back c2 yrs ago to date my computer started crashing during trans-Atlantic flights. I went to Microsoft support many times to see if they could assist, which ultimately ended in them crashing/blowing up (or even down my computer) …I finally with the help of my father managed to install a new version of windows and got my computer back up and running. Further to that, this past summer (2021) when I was trying to improve flight simulators performance, I was advised to over-clock my computer, which again blew my computer (up/down) …I had to reset the bios, which thankfully made my computer come back to, and saved a costly repair.

Before taking a break from flight simulator, this winter, I was trying to fly the Aerosoft Airbus A320/21 extended version. I have Orbx, Active sky, UK2000 scenery, FSDreamteam, and a few others (checking now 15/04/22 16:50) c65-75 sceneries. This was resulting in an FPS of 8-15 when flying around Heathrow / Gatwick with UK2000, Orbx, Active Sky, and VatSim…the aircraft was shaking violently and it was a really unpleasant experience…not so bad at LSGG/Geneva or the Caribbean airports where I still have all scenery active, Active sky and VatSim just different payware scenery.

I am wondering if anyone maybe able to assist me in increasing my performance, as when I watch YouTube videos and see other’s performance, it seems significantly better than mine with similar, if not more scenery and addons on/activated. Kindly note my computer specs and graphics card and screens below.

Respectively my computer: I have an Alienware Area-51 R4 and 5 series which without overclock on overclocks to 4.5GHz on it’s own

Device name      DESKTOP-VH43HJG

Processor            Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz   3.31 GHz

Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

Device ID             BCFFA78A-30FD-4256-93E7-DCA1AB7FE783

Product ID           00325-81256-20969-AAOEM

System type       64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch   No pen or touch input is available for this display

Note, I have also tried overclocking it to 4.6GHz without any change in performance

Graphics card: NVIDIDA GeForce RTX 2080

Screen(s) – 2 monitors Idek iiyama 27’’ PLX2783H

My monitors refresh rate is 75 Hz and the resolution is 1920 x 1080

Thanks for any help which I am most grateful for.  

Best wishes,

James McCallum

Thank you for your quick response @ DaveCT2003 🙂

I do apologise for my bad explaining! When I say ' which without overclock on overclocks to 4.5GHz on it’s own' and 'have also tried overclocking it to 4.6GHz without any change in performance', I refer to my CPU. Kindly see the attached image(s) for evidence.

Many thanks for any further help or advice you may be able to give.

Best wishes,

James

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

I would go over to AVSIM or Guru3D.com and search for "Bottleneck" and/or "Bottleneck Troubleshooting", or terms to that affect. There are some great tools to help with this type of troubleshooting. If you've had your CPU at 4.5+ and still had the same problems you described then you almost assurdedly have:

1. Outdated graphics card drivers (unlikely this would cause your issue even if the drivers are out dated but it could happen),

2. Corrupt Graphics Card Software Installation,

3. A P3D and/or Graphics Card settings issue (the only other explaination would be a bad CPU, bad Graphics Card, though not necessarily the GPU itself),

4. A bad motherboard,

5. A serious heat problem with the CPU, GPU or motherboard. 

The troubleshooting guide(s) from AVSIM or Guru3D.com will assist you in figuring it out.  I posted just such a guide (which I wrote inside a post) here in the Aerosoft forums several years ago, but finding it will likely prove to be a lot of work).

Best wishes my friend.

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for your continued help, Dave which I really appreciate and am most grateful for. As I am in my final month of university, I am going to complete that while in the background searching the terms you have outlined above 'bottleneck' and 'bottleneck troubleshooting' on AVSIM and Guru3D.com . I will revert back to here on progress made, and any other findings/changings. I appreciate your reasonings and explanation's given.

To note, in June, I plan to back up my computer prior to deleting and restarting my computer from scratch. 

Hope you have a wonderful day, enjoy the sun/weather where you are.

Happy Easter/Passover respectively. Look forward to reporting back on my updates.

Best wishes,

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1