Flight Model is strange now with this new spoiler phenomenon

Big fan of the Twotter since the first version of FSX here.

I was really keen on this bird for MSFS and bought it in the first Minutes after release.

The first flights were fun. Then, this behaviour in a descent. I was completely confused because i was not aware of it. Did a second flight, same thing happened.

Now i found this discussion here that explains exactly what my problem was. Eye-opener. Currently, i agree the other customers here, this virtual spoiler kicks in during descents under certain conditions, so the Twotter is currently the most difficult aicraft to land in MSFS for me.

I dont fly it now and really hope you will find a reasonable and acceptable solution for this behaviour of the flight- and propeller-model. I say reasonable because "playability" and "immersion" of the right feeling is for me more important than the correct numbers according manual for the third digit after the comma...

The FSX Twotter was a dream to fly.

Pushing my thumbs for the next patch of the Twotter, letting it collect some dust in the virtual hangar until then.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2022 at 2:46 PM, UnsealedKarma said:

There are some posts on that in Twin Otter thread on the MSFS forum including some suggested DIY fixes. The easiest one being editing the aircraft.cfg spoiler value from 60 to 30.

Any chance of a link to the DIY fix? I searched the MSFS forum with no luck. Thanks!

11 hours ago, acbent123 said:

Any chance of a link to the DIY fix? I searched the MSFS forum with no luck. Thanks!

Open the FLIGHT_ MODEL.CFG with Notepad, scroll down to the [AIRPLANE_GEOMETRY] section and look for this line:

spoiler_limit=60

Change it to:

spoiler_limit=30

Save and close the file.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, taw1962 said:

Open the FLIGHT_ MODEL.CFG with Notepad, scroll down to the [AIRPLANE_GEOMETRY] section and look for this line:

spoiler_limit=60

Change it to:

spoiler_limit=30

Save and close the file.

I don't think this is possible if the plane was purchased from Microsoft. I've searched everywhere and almost every plane I fly the config file shows up, even the Asobo built planes but not one for the Otter.

9 hours ago, rbringh said:

I don't think this is possible if the plane was purchased from Microsoft. I've searched everywhere and almost every plane I fly the config file shows up, even the Asobo built planes but not one for the Otter.

Yes the Marketplace add-ons are encrypted.

15 minutes ago, taw1962 said:

Yes the Marketplace add-ons are encrypted.

Some yes, I find it strange that Asobo built planes config files are modifiable but 3rd party config files are encrypted. Seems it depends on how the supplier packages the files. Hopefully this improves over time..

On 5/9/2022 at 8:21 AM, taw1962 said:

spoiler_limit=60

Change it to:

spoiler_limit=30

Save and close the file.

Thanks! Will give it a try tomorrow. I did not buy the plane through marketplace, but seem to recall earlier searching for an aircraft.cfg on my computer and no results appeared. The aircraft file was appended with something other than .cfg. Will post back. Again, thank you. 

• 1 month later...
vor 5 Stunden schrieb mhron:

Besides, Airbus is coming... 

Not for me ;) As i will ignore every upcoming plane from Aerosoft...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 7/12/2022 at 9:51 AM, Ha_Ma said:

Not for me ;) As i will ignore every upcoming plane from Aerosoft...

Same for me. Staying away from Aerosoft. I was hopeful after the launch, had some fun on it, performance was good.... Plane needed a few tweaks, a new sound package and it would be good for what it is, but the follow up to the launch was a complete disaster. I got a sound mod that works ok, but this spoiler thing destroyed the plane for me. Flight model also feels weird on the current version, plane is too light and behaves like a paper plane, terrible communications from devs, company seems to have abandoned it, there's no roadmap, no interest in implementing new MSFS flight model improvements, mods are not allowed (really?), not even bugs are being fixed... Frustrating, to say the least, but a lesson was learned.

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

I haven't had a chance yet, but I plan to go over the config files for 1.05, and 1.06 to find out what else has changed.

I flew it bit over the weekend, including some steep approaches into St. Barts, and it definitely feels a bit nicer than before.  You can still observe the point where the spoiler kicks in, and you transition from level flight into a dive with the tiniest adjustment of the power lever, but it is manageable.

I hope future sim versions clear up the ground handling though, as I find that on touchdown it can get a little squirrely, but in a way I don't see in other planes such as the Kodiak, Arrow or Warrior II for example.

• Upvote 1