Offshore Landmarks-: North Sea (released)

Mathijs, you are probably aware there is a new competitor product just released, it covers north UK they say and that includes Scotland ... however its not going to steal your thunder for this project from what I've seen already.

Quick request, old redundant rigs are getting parked in Cromerty Firth, eyesores

or not, these are part of the North Sea Oil industry, please model them too.

Went for a fly around this area earlier today, and its nothing in the sim, it needs to have some decommissioned rigs there IMHO :)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5263677/Oil-rigs-continue-stacked-demand-plummeted.html

Hi Mathijs,

If you're in the Rotterdam area and doing research on windmills at sea. Give these guys a call/visit: https://goo.gl/maps/iyNMuwYRvbD2XkEL6 

They're located here on the Maasvlakte, are the supplier of windmill fundaments and are partnering with Siemens for on-site windmill assembly. They probably can tell you all about placement and height etc.

Regards,

Pieter

P.S.: Day one must have for me, this one :)

• Thanks 1

• Aerosoft

Please login to display this image.

Another container ship

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• Aerosoft
39 minutes ago, Pietert said:

Give these guys a

Thanks! Will call them. 

11 hours ago, Katana1K said:

Quick request, old redundant rigs are getting parked in Cromerty Firth, eyesores

or not, these are part of the North Sea Oil industry, please model them too

Yes, is planned. 

In our effort to add 'all' objects possible we now even are adding buoys, got a database with 16.591 of them. 

unknown.png

Also the last remaining lightships are now anchored in the correct locations

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

• Aerosoft
38 minutes ago, JasonmCork said:

Part 2 of the project - Rotterdam Port :D

Don't temped me. The issue however is that it is not easily related to aviation. What we now do is. 75% of all helicopter flights in the UK, Netherlands, Denmark, etc are done to offshore platforms. I think we will end up with over 500 new places to land a helicopter on (and 100 that are only used by winch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

More databases that will be included.

These are the big ships that are at anchor for the Rotterdam port at this moment. They wait for their berths to be free etc. There are more of these holding areas that, all will be included.

We could not find a solid database of these anchor locations but using a density map of marine traffic they are pretty easy to identify.

You can also very clearly see the routes ships take .

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We could not find a solid database of these anchor locations

AFAIK, these are anchor areas and not really fixed spots. You can take a look at http://map.openseamap.org/ for all buoy locations, types and light frequencies (and anchor areas).

8 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Don't temped me.

Let me know if you want reference material :) Right now coming out from Hotel from EHRD it's awfully flat in the sim.

Mittelplate A Oil Rig is a special oil rig, that only exists there in the world. Because it is an oil rig in the wadden sea, it sits on a sandbar on a huge tub, that could hold the oil that can flow out within 30 days through the drill hole back, so nothing would ever spill into the wadden sea. This makes this an unique oil rig, please show it that way.

And if you are showing light ships... please do all the lighthouses on the coast. These are great navigation marks. Thx.

Other than that... it looks great what I see there. Can`t wait for it.

• Aerosoft

Yeah I know about that rig. Not sure if we can do that one, not only for technical reasons (making an island is pretty damned hard) but also because it is a very complex object and we try to avoid doing serious modeling in this project. 

I will discuss light houses. We do have the locations, that's not a problem, but these objects could interfere with other scenery projects.

We do have a nice new crew boat though. Still needs some people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This all looks so awesome, each update has loads of cool stuff. Thanks for all the updates!

I can’t wait for this to get completed and released. 

• Aerosoft

Of course we need some people at places where you get close (helipads etc).

We decided to call all of them 'Simon'. They all have their own animation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

Sorry for a lack of update... one of my lakes sprung a leak (first world problems) and I had to do some serious work to prevent it from draining. But I am Dutch, so we instinctively know what to do (call a guy with a digger) and things have stabilized. Progress however is good.

• The British windfarms are all in (see below). All default wind turbines are removed. In total  2686 wind turbines have been placed now, there will be some more at places where windfarms are being build.
  • We got the position of all rescue vessels (where they were last Thursday) and this model will be place there:FAST EMERGENCY RESPONSE VESSEL_6
    These ships are always around when there are operations that might be dangerous (drilling etc).
  • At the windfarms the maintenance vessels will be placed this week:
    Wind Farm Support Vessel 3d model low-poly_10
    These are the vessels that bring people to the turbines.
  • Speaking of people, we got more versions now:

And yes, there are woman working offshore.

These are the UK windfarms that are inserted just now:

1. Aberdeen Bay Demo Wind Farm
  2. Barrow Wind Farm
  3. Beatrice Wind Farm
  4. Blyth Demo (Phase 1) Wind Farm
  5. Burbo Bank Wind Farm
  6. Dudgeon Wind Farm
  7. East Anglia One Wind Farm
  8. Greater Gabbard Wind Farm
  9. Galloper Wind Farm
  10. Gunfleet Sands I Wind Farm
  11. Gwynt y Mor Wind Farm
  12. Hornsea Project 2 (HOW02) Wind Farm
  13. Humber Gateway Wind Farm
  14. Hywind Scotland Pilot Park
  15. Inner Dowsing Wind Farm
  16. Kentish F lats Wind Farm
  17. Lincs Wind Farm
  18. London Array Wind Farm
  19. MacColl Wind Farm
  20. Neart na Gaoithe Wind Farm
  21. North Hoyle Wind Farm
  22. Ormonde Wind Farm
  23. West of Duddon Sands Wind Farm
  24. Race Bank Wind Farm
  25. Rampion Wind Farm
  26. Rhyl F lats Wind Farm
  27. Robin Rigg Wind Farm
  28. Scroby Sands Wind Farm
  29. SeaGreen Wind Farm
  30. Sheringham Shoal Wind Farm
  31. Stevenson Wind Farm
  32. Teesside Wind Farm
  33. Telford Wind Farm
  34. Thanet Wind Farm
  35. Triton Knoll Wind Farm
  36. Walney 2 Wind Farm
  37. West of Duddon Sands Wind Farm
  38. Westermost Rough Wind Farm

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Aerosoft

Remember the 1.4 million poly ship Christian successfully imported? The one that runs fine inside the sim?

Ship 3d model - Offshore accommodation vessel 84m _2

Sure it affects framerate, but this is an objects on the sea without any 'world' so it runs a fine 90 fps on my system.

Well, I now found a 3.600.000 polygon model. We do not know if it will work, but we sure will try! 

oil platform_1

oil platform_3

oil platform_4

We are really looking to see where the graphics engine of the sim can take us. So far the sim engine is bloody amazing.

Ohhh btw, these are NOT images from MSFS, but from a renderer. When we get it imported I will show more images. When not I will tell you I wasted some Aerosoft money buying the model.

• Like 5

• Aerosoft
31 minutes ago, pilotter said:

oh man as a mariner and a flightsimmer this is a dream. currently working on the Vos Stone in the Rampion field outside Newhaven.

If you are willing to assist, drop me a mail at mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com. You are on one the ships we intend to place correctly. If I am correct you are just off shore of Brighton now and I really like to know what that ship is normally involved with.

• Like 3

• Aerosoft

I just added new objects:

I love these cartoonish trawlers. Somebody needs to explain why they are shaped like that. They must be very uncomfortable in a high sea.

One of the vessels that is on standby for rescue. We also have a much larger one as is used in the oil and gas fields

thinks I shown that one before, millions of polygons. not sure if we can use it.

More to come in an hour or so

• Like 1

• Aerosoft

More new objects:

Floating production storage and offloading.

A small support vessel, low poly.

We need some military stuff. this frigate will done fine.

The ships that the patrol vessels that guard the oil and gas fields often do not like.

• Like 1

• Aerosoft

Btw, read some reddit comment that was worried about us competing and possible clashing with the Global Shipping mod. Don't worry, the people behind that mod are in our dev discord channel and we are makings sure it will not cause issues. We will even work together on some objects.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Btw, read some reddit comment that was worried about us competing and possible clashing with the Global Shipping mod. Don't worry, the people behind that mod are in our dev discord channel and we are makings sure it will not cause issues. We will even work together on some objects.

What about Seafront Simulations?  Any compatibility issues there?

On 5/8/2022 at 2:46 PM, Katana1K said:

Mathijs, you are probably aware there is a new competitor product just released, it covers north UK they say and that includes Scotland ... however its not going to steal your thunder for this project from what I've seen already.

or not, these are part of the North Sea Oil industry, please model them too.

Went for a fly around this area earlier today, and its nothing in the sim, it needs to have some decommissioned rigs there IMHO :)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5263677/Oil-rigs-continue-stacked-demand-plummeted.html

If anything - they'll work together well...  I don't think there's much overlap at all with the 2 products. There's already existing add-on airports that will support this well, and some upcoming ones as well, that should be great.

It'd be nice if the Top Gun DLC adds support for landing on moving objects, but I'm not holding my breath. ;)

This is shaping up to be really interesting - sort of a realization of what I'd been talking with the OSDG guys back in the day, and timing it to be out when helicopters are officially supported in MSFS later this year would seem ideal.

@Mathijs Kok - all joking aside - the 1.4 mil poly ship will be optimized, right?  my AAA game dev instincts are freaking out, thinking about that, esp since you're paying like 1000 polys per porthole :P   It might run by itself ok, but add a few other HD objects and aircraft nearby...

Cheers!

• Like 1