Offshore Landmarks-: North Sea (released)

• Aerosoft

Slowly we are getting into making the objects into scenes. Here you see wind turbines being build. Work in progress of course.

Please login to display this image.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

The life of a project manager can be very boring..... Today I did a job that I was postponing for weeks. 

See, I told you we had a database of all the vessels in the are we covered with the exact location and heading that vessel was earlier this year. This will ensure that the overall picture you see is 100% accurate, every ship is where is was at least one time. No random or semi random placement. But these databases always have problems.  Problems like this:

now AISTYP 40 is defined as a high speed vessel, but I just doubt that this vessel:

can actually do 256 knots.  So this morning I put on some music and started to correct the database.

• It started with 3566 vessels. When I filtered out the vessels on rivers and ports I was left with 3109 vessels (yes we have plans for harbors and rivers!). 
  • Then I filtered out vessels that are not actually vessels but platforms etc.  Not easy but I noticed that when speed was 0 and AIS Navigation Status (NAVSTAT) was not 1 (at anchor) or 5 (moored) I got a pretty nice selection.  That left me with 2995 vessel of which I was pretty sure they were actually ships (or at least moving objects).
  • Close to 550 of those had incomplete data. It was not clear what kind of ship it was, how large it was etc.  So I spend 7 hours typing in the name of the vessel in Google and competing and correcting the data. 
  • After that I filtered out ships that simply are very unlikely to be at sea (river barges etc) and removed those.
  • Then I added more pleasure craft (sailboats etc). As the dataset was from January they were a little to scares.
  • So now we got sa database with location to the 5 meter and heading to 0.1 of a degree.

If I ever deserved a glass of wine it is now.

Tomorrow I will start with the possible even longer task of assigning each vessel to an exact ship from our library. That means for every line in the spreadsheet I need to figure out what is the best match to our objects. All 2995 of them.  I got the general type of ship and the length so that will help, but it will still be a stupendously boring task.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, Flavio1 said:

You have all my understanding, If you come to Italy, a bottle of wine will certainly not be missing :)

I lived in Como for 18 months (I worked at LAGO, one of the most exciting FS publishing companies ever). Now if there is one thing we learned in Italy is that when you can see Switzerland you should not call it Italy, but I love Italy, always did and always will. 

So where in Italy are you?

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Mathijs Kok:

Problems like this:

now AISTYP 40 is defined as a high speed vessel, but I just doubt that this vessel:

can actually do 256 knots.

And you are really sure that this one ist nearly as double fast as an Offshore Powerboat?

😉

• Aerosoft
6 hours ago, Ha_Ma said:

And you are really sure that this one ist nearly as double fast as an Offshore Powerboat?

😉

No that obviously was one of the database errors.  I also had ships on a course of -96 degrees and a length of 244e5 meters. 

From ships we are moving to the oil and gas rigs at this moment.

• Like 2

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Mathijs Kok:

No that obviously was one of the database errors

Ah, now i see that i have mistaken your former post. Now i saw in the Screenshot that it was a mistake in the database and not your fault by typing. Sorry!

• Aerosoft
9 hours ago, Ha_Ma said:

Ah, now i see that i have mistaken your former post. Now i saw in the Screenshot that it was a mistake in the database and not your fault by typing. Sorry!

Yeah loads of them unfortunately.

Today I spend 9 hours matching ship names to the exact type of ship.  For example almost 20% of ships are in the database as type=90.  But that can mean this:

or this:

Rather a lot of difference, not only in size but mainly where they should be. The top one is the middle of a construction zone, the bottom one in the center of the region he covers as emergency response vessel.

About ships, somebody asked me today where our ships differ from those of other packages. Of course for starters we place the ships exactly where they were at a given moment, but also other things. For example 22% of all ships in our database are stationary. That can mean at anchor or dynamically positioned. We cover all those. Ships waiting to enter a port will be at the designated anchor positions, ships hoisting turbine blades will be stationary where they should be. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 11:10 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

I lived in Como for 18 months (I worked at LAGO, one of the most exciting FS publishing companies ever). Now if there is one thing we learned in Italy is that when you can see Switzerland you should not call it Italy, but I love Italy, always did and always will. 

So where in Italy are you?

I loved flying the C172 on floats out of Como.... the instructor I had at the aero club was a blast to fly with ;) 

• Aerosoft

While working on the databases we realized we missed one category of vessels in the North Sea, dredgers. Our database has 22 of those vessels in operation so we needed to add them. As explained before, more then half the vessels on the North Sea are not 'moving' but 'working'. 

If you want to understand the depth of how we use the models... Yesterday we had to decided how often and where to place this ship:

Those are the lower sections of wind turbines for the deeper parts of the sea.  But looking at the data we have we realized this ship could only be going from a port to a construction site. And on the North Sea that means going east or west. Not the more standard shipping lane headings of north/south, or north-east/south-west. 

If you ever seen a database driven project...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 1:23 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

Flying the aircraft at the Aero Club Como was by far the most fun thing I did there. Expensive, but damned...

yeah, I had to cheat it and combine "intro flights" to avoid paying their 400 euro annual membership fee.... for one half-day of flying. ;)

but lovely place to fly, and can't wait to get a good Aero Club Como scenery for MSFS ;)

On 8/17/2022 at 6:04 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Christian just added all ships that have landable helipads as 'landmarks'. At this moment we have 485 new places to land a helicopter and we have not even started on the rigs.

My landmark discorey days will be filled for the comming year when this is released.
My coast guard helicopter has to do a lot of “Passport Checks” with support of the Dutch “Duane” Costums.:-)

This wil certainly be a purchase for me and wil give a lot off helicopter and Twin Otter hours to my logbook.

I also love that the Irisch Sea is added.

And to discover in the Video you shared that shuttle tankers for FPSO vessel are included.

Are you planning to put generic FPSO vesels on there correct locations beside the Oil rigs?

They should be included in the database.

I know this because I have worked for the Company Bluewater who operates 2 FPSO vessels in the North Sea.

Fun fact, this company is owned by one of the Heerema brothers. His other brother ownes Allseas, the company that build and operates the huge Pioneer Explorer. The third one owns Heerema itselfs.