Anyone using Track IR?

jay jay

Looking for ways to enhance the sim in general and this aircraft specifically.  I've gone the VR route but find the rig to be cumbersome for longer flights.   Track IR might hit the sweet spot between manually changing your view and going VR.   Anyone have experience using this?

John

Hell yes, I have a Valve Index, but for MSFS (for performance reasons and peripherals) I use TrackIR.

Native support, works fantastic.  Certain parts of the lower panel can be problematic, but if I was really motivated I could adjust my profile to make it a little more sensitive; my sensor is not ideally located so looking down it's easy for it to lose my hat clip.  Good range of motion, though.

Yes, i use TrackIR since a long time now and i will never again simulate flying without that!

I use the Pro Clip, for i wear a headset anyway, so the mount for the Clip is always on my head ;)

For me TrackIR, or even any good working Headtracker, lift the simulator to a much higher level.

Can't fly without TrackIR. I don't have the rig to do VR yet & I haven't found a satisfactory headset anyway, but no head tracking feels really claustrophobic now.

TrackIR 3 camera and Delanclip here, velcro'd to my headphones, all works ok. TrackIR needs some time to set up though, you don't want 1:1 ratio like VR.

I've had the 4 Camera, and few days ago i got the 5. I drove/drive both in standard config what works very well for me.

But the 5 works much more smooth, the 4 was more "nervous".

Thanks guys, really appreciate the info.   I think I'll pull the trigger on the 5 today.   I so wanted VR to work for me but it's just not ready for 100% use quite yet. 

• Aerosoft

Hi,

I second what Ha_Ma says. The version 5 is much smoother than the previous versions.
Just make sure in the beginning to set up Speed and Smoothness to very soft values, so that it isn't overreactive at first.
Just for some time, in order to get used to the system.
Then, later, adjust it to your needs.
Here is a tutorial about TrackIR and MSFS : 

I never fly in a flight simulator without a TrackIR. Especially not in military ones, where the fast overview is even more important. Definitely purchase it, it's worth it!

Order placed.   I just went for the basic unit (which is still pretty pricey for a very simple IR head tracker but whatever).  Hopefully I can get by without the premium IR lamps / head mounts. Thanks for all the great feedback.   One last question - once you've got this up and running to your satisfaction, do you guys then reassign the hat switch that you formerly used for changing viewpoints to other functions?

• Aerosoft
37 minutes ago, jay jay said:

One last question - once you've got this up and running to your satisfaction, do you guys then reassign the hat switch that you formerly used for changing viewpoints to other functions?

Hi,

I personally don't but, since it is nothing more than a bunch of contacts, you can assign them to what you want.

As for the clip, you won't need it if you use the TrackIR in a rather dark room.

Avoid also variation in luminosity and light source. 

Best regards. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb jay jay:

Order placed.   I just went for the basic unit (which is still pretty pricey for a very simple IR head tracker but whatever).  Hopefully I can get by without the premium IR lamps / head mounts. Thanks for all the great feedback.   One last question - once you've got this up and running to your satisfaction, do you guys then reassign the hat switch that you formerly used for changing viewpoints to other functions?

Yes! I try to put as much as possible commands to my HOTAS.

Ok, I was convinced.  Don't really know why I didn't do this earlier.  TrackIR 5 on the way.  

Tell me about the head mounted units.  I have heard positive and negative about the pro or just the hat clip.  Seems like by a small majority, hatclip is still the way to go.  Thoughts?

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Crabby:

Ok, I was convinced.  Don't really know why I didn't do this earlier.  TrackIR 5 on the way.  

Tell me about the head mounted units.  I have heard positive and negative about the pro or just the hat clip.  Seems like by a small majority, hatclip is still the way to go.  Thoughts?

I don't know what's better about the TrackClipPro, I've never been interested because I've been very happy with the simple clip for years. When the clip is outside the detection range, it gets a little tricky, for example when you have a far-reaching overhead panel and the reflectors are no longer detected. The same, of course, with an extreme downward view. But in the end I still found the right angle 😉 And if the Pro gets out of the field of vision, it will have the same problem, I think.

I prefer the delanclip with the LEDs over my old reflector, it deals with stronger light better ( and also I don't need to wear a hat :) ). Downside is of clips that mount to the side of your head, obviously when you turn your head the distance to the sensor changes as well as your head angle, it can get rather odd when you combine axis movements.

Sims seem to try and use my stick hat to move the view around, it's meant to be for trim so I just set it to trim.

9 hours ago, Crabby said:

I've never used the pro clip but unless you're trying to play in strong sunlight the standard clip works fine.  Start with that and upgrade if you need to later.

I use a hat with it instead of sticking it to the top of my headphones.  Sure it messes up my hair but it gets funky that much higher above your head because of the parallax.

54 minutes ago, Joe Markowski said:

I've never used the pro clip but unless you're trying to play in strong sunlight the standard clip works fine.  Start with that and upgrade if you need to later.

I use a hat with it instead of sticking it to the top of my headphones.  Sure it messes up my hair but it gets funky that much higher above your head because of the parallax.

Ill play with both.  The top of my monitor is pretty high above my hat brim level.  I use a 43 inch 4K TV.  Ill see which way works best.  I always start default and tinker from there, that way I can untinker

16 hours ago, jay jay said:

, do you guys then reassign the hat switch that you formerly used for changing viewpoints to other functions?

I use hat switch to control external view.

Or I should rather say - I used it this way before I switched from TrackIR and multiple screens to VR (Reverb G2).

I had tried the Hatclip and it worked fine, as long as there is not irritating sunlight in the room.

But as i never like a cap on my head i switched to the Pro Clip on my Headphones. It is less sensitive to irritating light.

I mounted the camera out of center of the monitor, mor to my left side where the TrackClip sits.

I have a Tobii EyeTracker 5 and, besides issues with the CRJ itself (like the Spoiler clickspot being waaay to large), it works great.

4 hours ago, jstnj said:

I have a Tobii EyeTracker 5 and, besides issues with the CRJ itself (like the Spoiler clickspot being waaay to large), it works great.

I looked into this, and Tobii says the only support up to a 30 inch wide monitor.  Plus, I am told it does not work with X-Plane, which I still and will continue to use.

On 4/2/2022 at 6:26 PM, Crabby said:

I think I may try something like this, but not as ghetto.  

I'm going this route.  The hat setup, on top of my headphones, was annoying as hell, plus, I'm just not a hat guy.   Used this setup for the first time, still trying to get used to it.   Found myself subconsciously tilting my head at weird angles to stabilize the view (which was pretty skittish).   I'm sure it will take some time to settle in. 

8 hours ago, jay jay said:

I'm going this route.  The hat setup, on top of my headphones, was annoying as hell, plus, I'm just not a hat guy.   Used this setup for the first time, still trying to get used to it.   Found myself subconsciously tilting my head at weird angles to stabilize the view (which was pretty skittish).   I'm sure it will take some time to settle in. 

It's possible you need to adjust the TrackIR profile if you're doing that. One thing I really dislike about the defaults is the amount of  deadzone in the middle, but also you might want to restrict fore-aft movement a bit, and possibly rotation around fore-aft axis.

I would recommend the SETH - FLIGHT profile for the TrackIR, it's ideal, no need to further tune it.

Download it from the second post here: https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=7445

Regarding view stabilization, look into the precision mode, it can help (enable it from the bottom right corner of the screen or with a hotkey).

Also, the TrackClip Pro works much better than the hat one with my setup (higher rotation angles, the hat would stop being detected when turning head too much).

5 hours ago, eag_a said:

I would recommend the SETH - FLIGHT profile for the TrackIR, it's ideal, no need to further tune it.

Download it from the second post here: https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=7445

Regarding view stabilization, look into the precision mode, it can help (enable it from the bottom right corner of the screen or with a hotkey).

Also, the TrackClip Pro works much better than the hat one with my setup (higher rotation angles, the hat would stop being detected when turning head too much).

There are two xml files there.  Getting ready to fire up for the first time.  Are they both needed or just SETH-FLIGHT?

Archived