ADF Decimal (0.5 frequencies)

Guy Moores

Hi all,

Really loving the Twin Otter - it really is a fabulous achievement and so immersive in VR!

One of the few small things I have struggled with is setting the ADF for a .5 frequency. I note that similar issues were raised in the past for FSX.

With East Midlands being my closest airport in the real world I often fly in/out of here and the EME NDB has a frequency of 353.5, but I cannot find a way to tune this. Any ideas?

I don't think you'll be able to, judging from my own experimentation yesterday evening.

They seem to use use the SimConnect ADF_1_INC, ADF_1_DEC, ADF_10_INC, ADF_10_DEC, ADF_100_INC and ADF_100_DEC events to tune the ADF, so there's no way to set fractional frequencies. You can only set whole number frequencies.

I tried configuring my Saitech radio panel in Spad.next so that it works the same way on the Twin Otter as it does on all the Asobo aircraft that I fly, and I couldn't get it to work. On those other aircraft, there's an ADF frequency parameter in SimConnect (ADF_PRIMARY_FREQUENCY:1) that can be both read from and written to. The ADF is tuned by incrementing or decrementing that value by 0.1 or 10.0, depending on whether you turn the inner or outer knob. If you do that in this Twin Otter (even accounting for the fact that there is a primary and standby ADF frequency by setting the ADF_STANDBY_FREQUENCY:1 value rather than the ADF_PRIMARY_FREQUENCY:1 value), all hell breaks loose.

I think what they need to do is fix their implementation so that we can set the ADF standby frequency parameter ADF_STANDBY_FREQUENCY:1 in SimConnect, rather than just read from it. Then we could set fractional ADF frequencies from our virtual cockpit hardware. They could also then do away with the confusing need to right click on the ADF tuning knob in the panel in order to be able to set the 10's position of the ADF frequency, because the two knobs that they've got in the panel would be sufficient to do the job without needing to overload their functionality by adding a mouse right click into the mix.

On 3/28/2022 at 6:40 PM, BenKorek2021 said:

I don't think you'll be able to, judging from my own experimentation yesterday evening.

They seem to use use the SimConnect ADF_1_INC, ADF_1_DEC, ADF_10_INC, ADF_10_DEC, ADF_100_INC and ADF_100_DEC events to tune the ADF, so there's no way to set fractional frequencies. You can only set whole number frequencies.

I tried configuring my Saitech radio panel in Spad.next so that it works the same way on the Twin Otter as it does on all the Asobo aircraft that I fly, and I couldn't get it to work. On those other aircraft, there's an ADF frequency parameter in SimConnect (ADF_PRIMARY_FREQUENCY:1) that can be both read from and written to. The ADF is tuned by incrementing or decrementing that value by 0.1 or 10.0, depending on whether you turn the inner or outer knob. If you do that in this Twin Otter (even accounting for the fact that there is a primary and standby ADF frequency by setting the ADF_STANDBY_FREQUENCY:1 value rather than the ADF_PRIMARY_FREQUENCY:1 value), all hell breaks loose.

I think what they need to do is fix their implementation so that we can set the ADF standby frequency parameter ADF_STANDBY_FREQUENCY:1 in SimConnect, rather than just read from it. Then we could set fractional ADF frequencies from our virtual cockpit hardware. They could also then do away with the confusing need to right click on the ADF tuning knob in the panel in order to be able to set the 10's position of the ADF frequency, because the two knobs that they've got in the panel would be sufficient to do the job without needing to overload their functionality by adding a mouse right click into the mix.

Thanks BenKorek,

Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Let's hope this gets fixed in one way or another :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 9:16 AM, Guy Moores said:

Thanks BenKorek,

Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Let's hope this gets fixed in one way or another :)

I did eventually get it to work with my Saitek radio panel and Spad.next. I had to make it trigger 10 whole number increment/decrements for each click on the outer knob on the Saitek radio panel and 5 increments/decrements of the 10ths parameter for each click on the inner (small) knob. That feels a bit clunky, but it works.

Archived