Sharing my free homemade weather provider for PFPX

Being a casual simmer, I mostly use freeware when I can. Made this script to get data directly from the NOAA service and export it to PFPX. Might possibly be useful too in the future if the official server shuts down...

It has some limitations compared to the native service (accuracy far from airports due to import format and for computing whole flight performance i.e.) but it gets you the basics. 

You can find it on the avsim library.

Please login to display this image.

• Like 1

wx2pfpx is now updated to V2.4. It has two modes, one optimized to load the data quickly, but you can also import the whole data grid to get a quite high precision on the whole map. You can also select the resolution the data source up to 0.25°/28km... It's quite new so feel free to give a feedback, i'm open to suggestions !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question for you. I still get the message of upper wind forecast not available, despite using this and having PFPX set accordingly. Is this normal.

On 3/20/2022 at 7:51 PM, Dakara93 said:

Being a casual simmer, I mostly use freeware when I can. Made this script to get data directly from the NOAA service and export it to PFPX. Might possibly be useful too in the future if the official server shuts down...

You weren't kidding about that, the server seems to be down as of a few hours ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Captain,

So with the import from AS, the highest altitude for which wx2pfpx can provide data to PFPX is about FL390. So the forecast is probably still valid around FL420-430, that fits for most airliners. I think you can just ignore the message, taking that limitation into account for your flight plans. 

If that's really an issue for someone that is a Concorde enthusiast or something like that, I've got a possible solution I could develop using FSGRW file format instead of AS. That would mean way less precison at lower levels tho. Some trade-offs we can sadly not get rid off...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

HI, 

i really loved to do my flightplanning with this fantastic tool. Are you aware of any issues with the winds aloft data. Since end of last week I do not get the current METARs / TAFs) but no wind data...

Thx in advance for all your efforrs.

Best regards, 

Lothar

4 hours ago, Lothar Herlitzius said:

HI, 

i really loved to do my flightplanning with this fantastic tool. Are you aware of any issues with the winds aloft data. Since end of last week I do not get the current METARs / TAFs) but no wind data...

Thx in advance for all your efforrs.

Best regards, 

Lothar

Confirm you are referring to the wx2pfpx tool provided by Dakara93 which when tested here is functioning correctly.

Or are you using PFPX online weather ?

vor 22 Stunden schrieb srcooke:

Confirm you are referring to the wx2pfpx tool provided by Dakara93 which when tested here is functioning correctly.

Or are you using PFPX online weather ?

I am using the wx2pfpx tool by Dakara93 - and yes it worked perfectly, but since last week no winds aloft data is provided - at least that’s what PFPX is telling me after generating the OFP.

Tested again here over two day schedules without issue using the PFPX OFP which populates the enroute winds.

As I recall winds loft missing messages are suppressed in the program when PFPX online weather is not used such as selecting Activesky as the source.

Which PFPX version?

Using the PFPX OFP ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy & Terms of Use