Undoubtedly a Stupid Question - CRS Knob

Before you start slagging me, note that I did read the manual and the tutorial flights.  Maybe I missed it but for the life of me, I can't find anything the describes in detail what the purpose of the CRS button is on the autopilot control panel.     I've been using HDG 100% to change directions, not clear on what the CRS mode does.   Any info is much appreciated. 

John

2 hours ago, jay jay said:

Before you start slagging me, note that I did read the manual and the tutorial flights.  Maybe I missed it but for the life of me, I can't find anything the describes in detail what the purpose of the CRS button is on the autopilot control panel.     I've been using HDG 100% to change directions, not clear on what the CRS mode does.   Any info is much appreciated. 

John

fly a Nav Radial or an ILS where you manually enter the freq so require to dial the radial manually

11 hours ago, LesOReilly said:

fly a Nav Radial or an ILS where you manually enter the freq so require to dial the radial manually

When would this be applicable in RL operation?   Just trying to figure out why you wouldn't just have this go through the FMS?    Only thing I can guess is that it would be in response to a sudden course change or change in runway requested by ATC?    I wonder how often is actually used?

10 hours ago, Richard Dastardly said:

It's a different name for what would often be the OBS knob, isn't it?

This.

And every so often, the FMS doesn't set the appropriate localizer course, so you have to switch nav sources and align it manually.

On 3/20/2022 at 11:31 AM, jay jay said:

When would this be applicable in RL operation?   Just trying to figure out why you wouldn't just have this go through the FMS?    Only thing I can guess is that it would be in response to a sudden course change or change in runway requested by ATC?    I wonder how often is actually used?

Its not as rare as you'd think. If you dial in the ILS freq and switch to green needles prior to the NAV radio picking up/identifying the transmitter, you'll need to manually set the CRS.

Also- on some SIDS, there are complex departure procedures which require several turns off a VOR radial (KLGA RW13 LAGUARDIA7 Whitestone climb) so we will have PF set the CRS to the first turn (040) and the PM set his CRS to the next turn (180) and that is how you fly the radials out and stay out of JFK's airspace. You can also hit the center button on the CRS knob and it will auto-center it.

Archived