Question for RL CRJ Pilots - Engine Start

jay jay

I had the (not really) pleasure of flying a couple of legs today in American CRJ-700's.   KCAE to KDCA and KDCA to KPVD.  I've flown CRJ's plenty of times in the past but today I noticed that on both flights, after pushback, the crew taxi'd ~ halfway to the runway before starting the second engine.   I've never noticed that before and it wasn't referenced in the tutorial flights.    Is this something unique to AA or is it just at the pilot's discretion?

The landing at KPVD was pretty "sporty".   According to the pilot, the ceiling was 200'.  Thick fog from ~ 4,000' to pretty much ground level from my perspective.  First time I saw the ground was when we were inside the airport perimeter.    The aircraft seemed to travel pretty far down the runway before making "firm" contact.     My compliments to the flight crew (and of course Otto Pilot). 

I am not familiar with AA internal procedures but I have seen this many times with many airlines and aircraft, especially on big and congested airports and especially on short haul flights, when taxiing and waiting in line can take as long as the flight itself. A turbine always consumes a lot of fuel, even in idle mode, and you can save a lot of Jet Fuel by starting the second engine later... - and it saves even more money because the engine spends more of it's iifetime in the air and not on the ground.

7 hours ago, EDNR-Cruiser said:

I am not familiar with AA internal procedures but I have seen this many times with many airlines and aircraft, especially on big and congested airports and especially on short haul flights, when taxiing and waiting in line can take as long as the flight itself. A turbine always consumes a lot of fuel, even in idle mode, and you can save a lot of Jet Fuel by starting the second engine later... - and it saves even more money because the engine spends more of it's iifetime in the air and not on the ground.

Interesting, it makes sense, I'm just surprised that I never noted this technique used on previous RL flights.   Any idea if the APU is still running when the aircraft is taxing on one engine?

22 hours ago, jay jay said:

Any idea if the APU is still running when the aircraft is taxing on one engine?

I feel like I've seen in a checklist somewhere, maybe not the official CRJ docs but from something like FS2Crew's CRJ addon or Flight Simulator First Officer Next, that the APU should remain on for one engine taxi.

I don't have the real world qualifications to comment on it, though, other than "sometimes I'm a passenger in one."

Sorry to hear you didn't have a pleasurable flight.

SET is **highly** pushed by AA and fuel numbers are on everybody's mind nowadays. The "correct" procedure is to secure the APU after starting the first engine and just do a cross-bleed start 2 minutes before you cross the line, but the APU is captains preference and most opt to leave it on for passenger comfort. Reasons for a two-engine taxi would be ground contamination or visible moisture in incing temperatures requiring cowl A/I to be on

I'll ask some Endeavor/Delta friends if they do it but I'm 99% sure they do. At idle these engines will burn enough fuel to send a Cherokee on a very long cross country. Even a paltry 100lb difference is noticed by dispatchers.

On 3/24/2022 at 2:39 AM, Raptor05121 said:

Sorry to hear you didn't have a pleasurable flight.

Thanks for the good info.   The flight issues had nothing to do with the crew (either up front or in the back), just that the CRJ is a somewhat uncomfortable, noisy aircraft from this passenger's viewpoint, I much prefer the ERJ series.    I thought it was cool that the FO was a German national, I was wearing a Munich sweatshirt and he asked if I'd been there before.   Was hoping to swap info about where to get the best currywurst in Munich but I had to keep moving as to not slow down the herd behind me.     As much as I slag the 700, it's light years beyond the hellish CRJ200!

Regards,

John

That is true. The 200 was phased out before I got there but I've heard nothing but bad things about it.

I've always wanted to go to Germany- I might have to pick your brain on some places to go

3 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I've always wanted to go to Germany- I might have to pick your brain on some places to go

Germany is nothing really special for the typical tourist... - but with a local guide it can reveal some great places...  😉

12 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

That is true. The 200 was phased out before I got there but I've heard nothing but bad things about it.

Aside from Bermuda, Germany (specifically Bavaria) is one of my favorite spots on the planet.    Just a truly fantastic place. 

Archived