Which autopilot mode for RNP approach?

So far I was flying only ILS approaches in APR AP mode.

Today for the 1st time I tried the LIML RNP Rwy 18 approach.

Which AP mode should I use to ensure both lateral vertical guidance? Should it be APR? When it should be engaged?

I tried APR at the beginning of the approach path, but is disengaged and I was left in PITCH/ALT mode, so I needed to switch to fully visual/manual approach.

Please login to display this image.

• steku changed the title to Which autopilot mode for RNP approach?

You can see your options at the minimums a little lower:

Please login to display this image.

The CRJ certainly does not support LPV and it also does not support VNAV. So your only option is LNAV + CDFA. This means, you use NAV with the FMS as nav source and vertical speed (VS). The vertical speed corresponding to your groundspeed can be read between the glideslope sections and the minimums in the chart. So you level of at 3000ft before ML709. At ML709 you dial in a VS of about 700 to 800fpm. At 800ft the latest you should have the runway in sight and the AP off. Then you perform a visual approach.

And please keep this in mind:

On 3/19/2022 at 1:09 PM, falcon55 said:

The CRJ certainly does not support LPV

There is an available Rockwell Collins STC that can add LPV capability to the CRJ. It requires upgrading both GPS receivers (and antennas) plus mods to the FMS and autopilot. I work for a corporate operator with 3 CRJ-200s, and all three of of our aircraft have the LPV mod.

I don’t think many airline CRJs have been equipped with LPV. It is quite expensive, involves about two weeks downtime to install, and brings additional training requirements for flight crews.

JR brings a good point- RNAV approaches for most CRJ operators are usually higher mins because the current state of equipment/OpSpec prevents them from utilizing the latest technology for precision-like approaches and I believe Aerosoft modeled their software from a similar airframe. As such, most use RNAV as a last-resort approach and fly it using LNAV only with a CDFA (Continuous Descent from Final Approach) like falcon said. Keep an eye on that ground speed and make sure you stay on snowflake!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived