CRJ EFB

EasternT3

@Mathijs Kok on the A330 preview you've mentioned about coding the EFB in Java to enable the use of charts, is there any plans to rework the CRJ's EFB using java so we access charts or are you still going to wait for charts to be accessible for a C++ coded EFB? Thanks  

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have Navigraph so charts are not the problem for me. What I would like is the ability to import the OFP from Simbrief so that when flying in VR I can refer to the OFP to get the load information, altitude, etc. It would also be good to have a page which shows the Vatsim controllers online and their frequencies. The FBW A320 nx has these abilities and I find it very useful.

John.

1 hour ago, EasternT3 said:

@John2

I have Navigraph too, that's not what I was asking....I was asking to access the charts through the EFB like in the A32NX

Okay. I get it. Good idea.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 3:05 PM, John2 said:

What I would like is the ability to import the OFP from Simbrief so that when flying in VR I can refer to the OFP to get the load information, altitude, etc. 

You can import the OFP from Simbrief to CRJ FMS. You can also have one of many addons allowing to see PDF in VR 

On 3/28/2022 at 3:19 PM, EasternT3 said:

@John2

I have Navigraph too, that's not what I was asking....I was asking to access the charts through the EFB like in the A32NX

For me it is even easier to use Navigraph Charts (I fly mostly in VR) as separate panel, but indeed having it in the EFB would be a bit more realistic (however I don't know if there are any EFBs in the real CRJ).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, steku said:

You can import the OFP from Simbrief to CRJ FMS. You can also have one of many addons allowing to see PDF in VR 

Yeah, have been looking at those addons but I really like the FBW A32nx approach.

3 hours ago, steku said:

...however I don't know if there are any EFBs in the real CRJ.

iPads exist, so I'd say it wouldn't be out of the question that you'd have access to digital charts and a non-paper OFP :)

For me it doesn't matter much if I have the digital charts on the Aerosoft CRJ EFB or in separate Navigraph Charts window. The same for OFP, I can have the PDF it in separate window. Flying in VR it's even better to have the separate windows, because I can place one on my lap, the other one on the co-pilot seat, so I can just look at them without changign pages on the EFB.

12 hours ago, John2 said:

Yeah, have been looking at those addons but I really like the FBW A32nx approach.

For VR this one works great for me: https://www.flightsimulator.me/simulators/flight-simulator/panels/107-ingamepanel-pdf-viewer-for-flight-simulator

Allows 2 separate PDF windows. I place one below (or over - minimizing it when I want to interact with the EFB) the Aerosoft CRJ EFB (custom checklist) and the other on the copilot seat (Simbrief OFP).

The author offers several more panels, e.g. the scratchpad allowing making notes (clearances), very useful in VR (on my virtual lap, the GA-plane kneeboard-way).

I keep the Navigraph Charts over the yoke moved down to not obscure the PFD/MFD panels (simulating the actual paper chart on the yoke chart clip).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Aerosoft
On 4/9/2022 at 12:28 PM, steku said:

Did not know about that one, thanks!

I haven't followed the Airbus development closely as I'm not really interested in major tubeliners, however I've heard that Aerosoft is getting around the limitations preventing things like charts and SimBrief integration by switching the language it's coded in.

Would rewriting the CRJ EFB be a viable alternative to getting those features in before Asobo gets around to making the SDK updates need for the current implementation?

Don't know if it's possible to compartmentalize like that, obviously if the whole plane would need to be rewritten that's a nonstarter.

• Aerosoft
12 hours ago, Joe Markowski said:

I haven't followed the Airbus development closely as I'm not really interested in major tubeliners, however I've heard that Aerosoft is getting around the limitations preventing things like charts and SimBrief integration by switching the language it's coded in.

Would rewriting the CRJ EFB be a viable alternative to getting those features in before Asobo gets around to making the SDK updates need for the current implementation?

Don't know if it's possible to compartmentalize like that, obviously if the whole plane would need to be rewritten that's a nonstarter.

Sorry not planned, it is a massive amount of work and would be made obsolete when the sim changes. That we do it in the A330 has some other reasons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Sorry not planned, it is a massive amount of work and would be made obsolete when the sim changes. That we do it in the A330 has some other reasons.

Understandable, I was hoping that it was a small enough piece of the puzzle to be worthwhile but I'm not surprised it isn't.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic