Setting Weight and Balance

Are any other users setting weight and balance for each flight?

I am now familiar with the Twin Otter systems and comfortable flying it.  I want to start using the plane in my Neofly flights and need to set the cargo weight for each flight. As usual, I set the payload weight to match Neofly route.  Then I calculate the fuel using Little NavMap and fuel the plane.  When I change the fuel, all of he cargo weight and balance numbers switch back to default. I read the manual and I did not see a specific 'weight & balance loader" or "configuration tool" for the plane so I assume I am doing it correctly (using the MSFS W&B screen.  How are others setting up the W&B for a flight?  IS there a way to keep it from reverting to the default numbers when I change the fuel?

Mathijs, Thank you very much. I am enjoying this product very much.

Is it normal for the cargo weights to reset to defaults when I change the fuel? 

This is what I see (only in the Twin Otter):

Example 1:   I enter 0 lbs for Cargo 2.  Then I make any change to the fuel, and Cargo 2 resets to the default weight of 125lbs.  (this is true for any Cargo Position)

Example 2:  I enter 0 lbs for Cargo 2.  Then I change the co-pilot weight and Cargo 2 resets to default weight of 125lbs.  (this is true for any Cargo Position)

Other aircraft do not exhibit this behavior.  (not an MSFS 2020 problem for all aircraft. )

The work around is to enter the fuel first, but this is not always a good solution.  

Thank you Mathijis. 

For testing purposes, this issue was observed on the MSFS Market version of the Twin Otter.  I have not tested the Aerosoft Store version.

One additional symptom"  If I do not change the fuel...  and just wait about 2 or 30 seconds, all cargo weights revert to default values with no user interaction. 

Second Additonal KEY symptom.   When changing the weights in the cargo positions, the payload weight at the bottom of the Weight and Balance screen does not change.   It seems it is changing it in the UI only and not actually changing the weight and balance.  When the UI is refreshed, the individual cargo positions are rest to the default values. 

New information, I determined what the problem is.

This is an issue the Payload and Payload (%) slider not being updated when the individual cargo positions are updated (cargo versions).   

Similarly, in the Passenger Variants, only changes to weight value in ROW 1 updates the Payload (%) Slider, Payload Percentage, and Payload value at the bottom of the screen.  

Why is this important?  When using the The Twin Otter Cargo Variants with applications like NeoFly for hauling cargo, you are required to match the payload.  Currently on the Cargo variants, you can only adjust payload with the Payload (%) slider and not get exact payload pounds or kilograms to match career or mission applications. This plane has a high potential user base in programs like NeoFly and others and an update would be appreciated by many. 

Recommendations for update:  

1. In the Cargo Variants, if an individual Cargo Position is updated by the user, the Payload (%) slider, Payload Percentage value and the Payload weight at the bottom of the screen should be updated. (That link is currently missing)  This is similar behavior to other default and 3rd party Aircraft Weight and Balance.   This will allow pilots to set the exact pounds of Cargo Payload when working with Career and Mission applications or when flying using precise weight and fuel calculations. 

Quick Demonstration for Developers

In Twin Otter Cargo version Weight and Balance screen, change any cargo position weight ->  Payload (%) slider does not change position, Payload Percentage is not updated, and Payload at the bottom of the screen is not updated. Whne the UI is refreshed, the individual values revert to previous default values.

Similar problem found in the Passenger version.  Only changes to ROW 1 update the Payload (%) slider, Payload Percentage value or the Payload value at the bottom of the screen. 

Quick Demonstration for Developers

In the Twin Otter Passenger Variant Weight and Balance screen, change the weight value in ROW 1.  ->  Payload (%) slider does change position, Payload Percentage is updated, and Payload at the bottom of the screen is updated.

Change weight value in ROW 2 ->  Payload (%) slider does not change position, Payload Percentage is not updated, and Payload at the bottom of the screen is not updated

I am not trying to be critical.  I am only trying to help an already awesome product with some information on a problem.  An update for this issue would be greatly appreciated by anyone trying to use the DHC-6 for Career and Mission Applications or for serious simulation of flight planning and calculations.

Thanks for everything you do.

Lemit

• Aerosoft
14 minutes ago, Lemit said:

I am not trying to be critical.  I am only trying to help an already awesome product with some information on a problem. 

And I am very grateful for that.

The strange issue however is that as far as we know this is not something we have any control over.  That is all default sim code. I have seen the same with some other 3rd party aircraft, but I also seen it work correctly. 

Mathijs,

I am convinced that your are right, and this is an issue with MSFS 2020.   I tested with several other 3rd party aircraft and found a trend. There are "two" small issues in the MSFS Weight & Balance screen that I will submit and MSFS trouble ticket for them.

1.  On MSFS Default Aircraft, after entering a weight for a Weight and Balance Station, clicking out of that box, (or on another station) updates the Payload (%) slider, the Payload Percentage and the Payload Weight.  On several third party aircraft, I must press "ENTER" before the changes are made to the payload.  Small issue, but leads to confusion. There is nothing in the FLIGHT.MODEL.CFG file that could change this behavior.

2.On the third party aircraft I tested, if I enter a value for a station that is "lower than the default value" and press ENTER, the Payload (%) slider, the Payload Percentage and the Payload Weight are not updated.  If I enter a value that is "higher than the default value" and press ENTER, the Payload (%) slider, the Payload Percentage and the Payload Weight are updated. this is clearly an error in their value entry test logic. 

These are clearly problems with the W&B page in MSFS.  I believe something changed in SU7 or 8 because this was working earlier.  I will submit a trouble report to MS.

SummaryAerosoft DHC-6 works as designed and has no issue with weight and balance.  

The work around for those wanting to set exact values for weight and balance and not use the Payload (%) slider is:

Move the Payload (%) slider to 0 and then add the exact values for Pilot, Co-pilot and each station, pressing ENTER after entering each value.  

I apologize for dragging this issue out in a public forum.    Please feel free to delete this entire thread to prevent confusing future readers.

As always, thank you for the communications.

Lemit

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, Lemit said:

apologize for dragging this issue out in a public forum.    Please feel free to delete this entire thread to prevent confusing future readers.

As always, thank you for the communications.

Not at all, you found an issue, described a work around and assisted in finding the cause. Exactly what a forum like this is for.

Archived