CRJ future for VR

RemcoNL

Hey Guys,

I only fly in VR and read a lot of threads after getting the CRJ. Starting a new thread because sim update 8 makes me hopefull for the future.

I recently got into MSFS and got the CRJ package after watching a lot of youtube tutorials. I was realy exited about getting it, and when i jumped in i thought it looked great. I personally like my cockpits a bit more weathered, but that is just estetic preference, it looks realy good and even the small fonds are readable in my G2.

However while using the plane in VR I hit a few issues.  I knew MSFS wasnt perfect in VR, the A32NX had its issues as well, but after the last world update this smoothed out a lot.....for the A32NX. In the CRJ, sadly not so much. It realy is at a level right that i kinda feel like Ive bought a broken product.

So mostly i am wondering if the last update (8), wich brought VR improvements will allow Aerosoft to fix these things for the CRJ. It will realy help to make flying this plane a funn instead of a frustrating experience. I understand making a project in a changing enviroment comes with challenges, but knowing a fix in on its way will sooth my current worries. I realy think this would be an awsome product when functioning correctly.

I will list the issues i found, as feedback:

- Unable to click buttons in scrollknobs (i.e. Hdg synch, altitude, IAS/mach, standard QNH, etc) (biggest issue)

-Right-then left-clicking works does nothing in 3d. 

- at first the cursor would jump away, but after disassining 'cockpit freelook toggle (hold)' it would stay on the button. Still no effect though. 

- Both in Legacy and Lock mode

- unable to hit fms CLR button without moving the airbrake 

- Top FMS buttons are hard to click, cursus seems to come forward/up

- Top right is very hard

- top left and 2nd from above on the right are tricky, but manageble

- Mouse loses 'focus' sometimes (hover over a button, but it acts like there is nothing there)

- need to reset view 1 to 3 times to get the cursor back to normal

- Top part of roof panel is hard to reach 

- When looking up and right the cursor refuses to go to the top of my view

- When physicly lean right (over middle console) and looking up it will work, but this is aquard

- Unable to manipulate cabin pressure and actually see what i am doing

I would obviously like an actual fix, but if for some reason, for now, this is impossible, it would be great if we could at least bind the click buttons on the scroll knobs to our hotas or a key command as a temporary solution.

Unlike some (ive read) i am able to change heading and see what im doing by leaning left and forward then looking right. As 'the dude'  (awsome tutorials btw) mentioned in another thread the cursor seems to stick for a while and im able to manipulate the know with my scrollwheel. (also in G2)

Realy hoping to get an ETA on a fix, cause after paying 90 bucks i am definatly not getting my moneys worth. Especially since there was no mention on the store page this product doesnt work (properly) in VR. Looking forward for a fix so i can realy start enjoying this product though.

PS: It would be awsome if we could import a simbrief flightplan to the EFB (like in the A32NX) because taking of the headset to check fuel figures and stuff in the browser is realy annoying.

• Upvote 2

I also fly in VR only, and my plane of choice is the CRJ 550 (fly it 90% of my time in the sim).

You summed it all up. The things you described are all the things that make a CRJ pilot‘s life hard in VR. 

Each by itself would be just a small niggle, but it sums up to be quite a bunch of unpleasantries. 

All was reported a thousand times and acknowledged by Aerosoft, but not addressed in months.

I really, really like the CRJ, so I suffer thru the imperfections and keep flying it.

It it were not such a great plane, I would have moved on a long time ago.

A bitter taste remains, though - each time I try to press the Baro button…

@RemcoNL please serach the forum for something called "Please don't send us lists" ;) .

Am 6.3.2022 um 23:02 schrieb RemcoNL:

Unable to click buttons in scrollknobs (i.e. Hdg synch, altitude, IAS/mach, standard QNH, etc) (biggest issue)

A plethora of topics for this one: FIX -> let the mouse CRS dissapear when positioned over the pushbutton, wake it by a slight movement and as soon as it is visible just left click and the button will be pushed (search for topics and you will find answers).

unable to hit fms CLR button without moving the airbrake 

Not having this one because if I want to hit CLR, I will move my head in such a way that "my virtual hand...and finger" are clear of any conflicts. Just rotating your head is not sufficient because the 3D lever will block CLR button.

Top FMS buttons are hard to click, cursus seems to come forward/up

Not having this one.

Mouse loses 'focus' sometimes (hover over a button, but it acts like there is nothing there)

Not having this one (using Quest 2)

Top part of roof panel is hard to reach 

Nor this one.

Unable to manipulate cabin pressure and actually see what i am doing

I actualy can do it because I position the CRS on the rotating knob and contionue rotating it even if I loose focus.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb StanTGM:

A bitter taste remains, though - each time I try to press the Baro button…

You have to do this 2 times a flight and the upper workaround will consume 6sec / flight......just saying.

It is hard for customers to understand what is related to AS and what ios related to the SIM...e.g. the right left click that came WITH THE SIM after SU5. And yes...while it works in 2D, it does not work in VR AND it has been reproduced by ASOBO quite a while now. As you read prior sentence you will understand that this is not realy a AS issue so please be so kind and report it to ASOBO. We have already done it but....

• Thanks 2

vor 20 Stunden schrieb GEK_the_Reaper:

the upper workaround will consume 6sec / flight......

Sorry to disagree, pls. check your facts: the infamous „hover-the-pointer-wait-move-pointer-again-wait-hover-again-over-knob“ solution (?) can take 30 seconds or longer. Sometimes it indeed works relatively fast, but most of the time it does not.

During step climbs it has repeatedly happened to me that I got overspeed warnings because I focussed on that darn baro knob, disregarding the airspeed for too long. 

My fault? Sure! But I hate overspeed warnings, and that ugly sentiment now extends to the baro knob.

Finally, I don‘t care who‘s fault this glitch is, I just want things to work as they should.

Good to hear you informed Asobo. Nag them again, please!

• Upvote 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb StanTGM:

Sorry to disagree, pls. check your facts: the infamous „hover-the-pointer-wait-move-pointer-again-wait-hover-again-over-knob“ solution (?) can take 30 seconds or longer. Sometimes it indeed works relatively fast, but most of the time it does not.

You must be doing something wrong or your VR setup has some issues as what the OP describes like loosing focus etc.

I shared already videos showing that it works prety well....I agree with you (and all those reporting it) that it's a PIA. I'm also bringig the issue up to the DEV from time to time and there is hope that ASOBO will eventualy fix it.

…my VR setup works pretty well.

I have no similar issues in any other plane (payware, mostly, different publishers). 

I use G2 and lately Varjo Aero.

Same result with all the niggles of the OP:  

CRJ AP / baroknobs, FMC CLR button and hard-to-find clickspot in FMC upper LSK‘s in both headsets… 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb StanTGM:

…my VR setup works pretty well.

Well @StanTGM here you go. I took my time to record another video just for this matter (I have no idea how to capture only 1 of the 2 screens so the video is a bit small to perfectly recognize what is pressed...but sound is there).

PLEASE NOTICE that the very FIRST time I tried to press the MCP SPD button I accidentaly right clicked so the zoom in function activated.

https://youtu.be/mrYVGCEi1g4

@RemcoNL please check the video out and tell me if you see any of the things you mentioned.

I use several MIDI panels (bought cheaply on eBay) to get rid of the mouse in VR:

- 2 x Behringer X-Touch mini (8 rotary encoders + 24 buttons each) - great for autopilot panel,

- Novation Launch pad mini (80 buttons) - great for FMS.

The panels are driven by Axis and Ohs software. For most frequently used buttons (e.g. AP modes, HDG sync, EICAS display modes) I use voice control, great for VR, also with Axis and Ohs.

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft
32 minutes ago, steku said:

I use several MIDI panels (bought cheaply on eBay) to get rid of the mouse in VR:

- 2 x Behringer X-Touch mini (8 rotary encoders + 24 buttons each) - great for autopilot panel,

- Novation Launch pad mini (80 buttons) - great for FMS.

The panels are driven by Axis and Ohs software. For most frequently used buttons (e.g. AP modes, HDG sync, EICAS display modes) I use voice control, great for VR, also with Axis and Ohs.

You can also consider LeoBodnar USB Interface boards.
Natively recognized as HID:
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=94

And a lot of accessories : Buttons, encoders, potentiometers:
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=98
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=103 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 3:37 PM, GEK_the_Reaper said:

Well @StanTGM here you go. I took my time to record another video just for this matter (I have no idea how to capture only 1 of the 2 screens so the video is a bit small to perfectly recognize what is pressed...but sound is there).

PLEASE NOTICE that the very FIRST time I tried to press the MCP SPD button I accidentaly right clicked so the zoom in function activated.

https://youtu.be/mrYVGCEi1g4

@RemcoNL please check the video out and tell me if you see any of the things you mentioned.

Watched your video and it was hard to see when you pressed a rotary button. With my G2 the baro knob seemed to work ok when I pressed it to set standard but neither the speed nor heading knob would take a press. I will try again. 

The other thing that would be nice for VR would be to enhance the EFB to be able to import the OFP from Simbrief (for loading fuel and load) and to have a page to show if there are VATSIM controllers online. The FBW A320 neo has these features.

Hey Reaper, glad you are not experiencing these issues on your set, many congratz and all. This however does not fix my issues, nor for other people i heard about them.  I heard about the hover option, it works for me most of the time, but it is hardly an actual option when the workload gets high.  I didnt see the no list topic, i havent seen all post on this forum. Tnx for the video, and again happy it works for your set, it wont for my G2.

Ive been flying another sim in VR for years wich has complex modules and systems (for less steap prices) and all have problems i agree with that, but usely none that involve not being able to use basic buttons.

However i wish to reitterate: i am not trying to bash this product, i think there is a lot of potential. Nor do i expect an instant fix. Seeing the VR improvements in the last update just got me hoping for a bit more of a vision on future development then 'all complex modules have issues.' I guess we will just have to wait and see.

8 hours ago, RemcoNL said:

Hey Reaper, glad you are not experiencing these issues on your set, many congratz and all. This however does not fix my issues, nor for other people i heard about them.  I heard about the hover option, it works for me most of the time, but it is hardly an actual option when the workload gets high.  I didnt see the no list topic, i havent seen all post on this forum. Tnx for the video, and again happy it works for your set, it wont for my G2.

Ive been flying another sim in VR for years wich has complex modules and systems (for less steap prices) and all have problems i agree with that, but usely none that involve not being able to use basic buttons.

However i wish to reitterate: i am not trying to bash this product, i think there is a lot of potential. Nor do i expect an instant fix. Seeing the VR improvements in the last update just got me hoping for a bit more of a vision on future development then 'all complex modules have issues.' I guess we will just have to wait and see.

What sim have you been flying for years with complex modules that cost less than the ones so far in MSFS?  X-Plane?  I doubt it.  The average cost of an X-Plane aircraft worth a crap is north of 60 dollars.  P3D?  Ditto.  DCS, I don't know that one so it must be what you are referring to.  

I will also say that "it used to work", "it works in other sims", "it works with other aircraft", "it works for a buddy of mine" are not valid support statements.