About the flightsim.to copyright issues, If you want to comment, here is the place!

1 hour ago, echo_oscar said:

Yeah! Imagine if you just copied and pasted someone else’s work to release a paid add on! Like, say, the entire avionics stack. That would be absolutely wild!

Nobody, I'm mean nobody (except modders who don't own the TW anyway, or so they say. Must be a lie) will use it.  The butt hurt is immense and far and wide.  Never will see your hacking  on .to. because you dont have the balls.............    big mouth yes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Nobody, I'm mean nobody (except modders who don't own the TW anyway, or so they say. Must be a lie) will use it.  The butt hurt is immense and far and wide.  Never will see your hacking  on .to. because you dont have the balls.............    big mouth yes.

Back here locals would use stem files of unreleased music(Itself being shared by the record studio community quietly) to create an edit/mashup/slight variation of the track. They would then occasionally play it around the clubs with paying patrons and no one bats an eye except for some salty music execs who threaten legal letters as usual(+Never had these corporate folks ever wanted to release any unreleased work even if the artists wants to and begs lol). I recalled one big artist getting hounded by his own record company for sharing his own not yet released music as stems to friends and relatives as private consumption without any public listening lol.

Modding itself should not be an issue if no $ is in play. The large bulk of original codes itself came from asobo which other paywares have been using.

Even worse now one has to run some scripts and file creator instead of copy pasting actual folders lol.

https://flightsim.to/file/29333/ccms-twin-otter-mods-qqcrx

My script re-creates the original file exactly as it was by applying the binary differences between the modded, and un-modded file. Which is far better than Aerosoft’s ludicrous suggestion of hand editing every single file.  This method was relatively easy to script, certainly compared to scripting the changes line by line, and far less prone to errors.

I have a separate script that creates the diff files in the first place, which could be used by mod creators.  You point it at your mod folder, and the original files that it modifies, and it writes the binary differences out to a .jdf file, and then deletes the original file inside the mod folder, leaving it ready for distribution.

Not that it matters in this day, and age, but the mod is much smaller then the original too.

And of course I claim copyright to those scripts. 😛

In fact, now that I think I of it, I think there could have been an even easier way of doing this.

All I needed to do was take an original modded file, ingest it character by character, then insert a non-white space character, perhaps non-ASCII character, into that file that was unique, not existing anywhere in that file, in between every character.

It would look like garbage, be completely unreadable, and unusable by the sim.  The recipient then runs a script that removes all those characters, recreating the original file.

And just for fun you could then use steganography to inject that modified file, hiding the file inside an image of me making rude hand gestures at the individual at Aerosoft responsible.  But that would be churlish, and not like me at all. 😉

1 hour ago, HobAnagerik said:

It would look like garbage, be completely unreadable, and unusable by the sim.  The recipient then runs a script that removes all those characters, recreating the original file.

You could run an even more complex algorithm on the original files that say, reduced their size & attached them all to each other for easy distribution! the binary signature would look nothing like the original.

10 minutes ago, Richard Dastardly said:

You could run an even more complex algorithm on the original files that say, reduced their size & attached them all to each other for easy distribution!

An apt description for a ZIP file if ever I saw one.  Not good enough for the bods at Aerosoft. 😉

• Aerosoft

Mmmmm.... as the tweaks are now available without sharing the copyrighted files (the ONLY thing we asked for) I think we can close this topic.

We are very grateful for this work and if the uploader contacts me on mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com we gladly offer him some freebies.

Archived