We will get new recording very soon...

Mathijs

You've possibly approached them already, but just in case you haven't ... the British Antarctic Survey keep at least one of their Twin Otters at Duxford (EGSU, Cambridgeshire UK) over the summer.  Aside from maintenance they don't do an awful lot until required to fly back south in the autumn.

If you haven't approached them it may be worth while: https://www.bas.ac.uk/contacts/

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft
7 hours ago, Wakner said:

Mathijs

You've possibly approached them already, but just in case you haven't ... the British Antarctic Survey keep at least one of their Twin Otters at Duxford (EGSU, Cambridgeshire UK) over the summer.  Aside from maintenance they don't do an awful lot until required to fly back south in the autumn.

If you haven't approached them it may be worth while: https://www.bas.ac.uk/contacts/

Cheers!

I know and I had them on the phone.

As explained to get the sound recording we need rather specific conditions that are not really good for the aircraft (running max power with max brakes etc).  So basically you always need a very friendly person at the operator to assist.

The good news is that I might have found a new source.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

As explained to get the sound recording we need rather specific conditions that are not really good for the aircraft (running max power with max brakes etc).  So basically you always need a very friendly person at the operator to assist.

excellent...please keep the comms going...there are many just waiting for news!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 1:39 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

Oh, that's great if you have found a new source! Can't wait for improved sounds to the Twin Otter!  Thank you for your hard work!

• Thanks 2

Hi Mathijs,

after long time only reading posts I thought I write something again in the forum.

First a late thank you from me for your honest explanation what the problem is.

From what I heard in the above Video (with bad recording equipment) and compare it with your sounds, the actual sound of your twotter isn´t that bad. Even the loud sounds of the blades (which you don´t hear in a King Air because of the relative position of the pilot to the blades as you also shown in your pics) are simulated very good from the core.

If you allow I would give you my view (or hear) that may (or may not) constructive for considerations on your side. And by far I don´t want to critize your audio pros with that as I think they tried nearly all already.

- As you already said the Transition of the sounds aren´t that good, because of the number of sources. Well. I don´t know WWise but isn´t it possible to fill the gaps with some Audio Tricks like synthesized Noise and Sine Waveforms chime in or work on the waves with Crossfade Loops?

- In my Opinion the most annoying Sound is the very loud spoolup sound (in relation  to the starting engine even more). And to be honest. I am veeeeeeery long in the FS/XP Community and this spoolup sounds like the same Turbine Spoolup from FSX or even earlier 😉

So is this right? And also the volume? I never was in a TWOTTER but the spoolup in the video was different, especially from the characteristics.

many greetings,

Jens

• Aerosoft
14 hours ago, rapsta said:

- As you already said the Transition of the sounds aren´t that good, because of the number of sources. Well. I don´t know WWise but isn´t it possible to fill the gaps with some Audio Tricks like synthesized Noise and Sine Waveforms chime in or work on the waves with Crossfade Loops?

Only with new recordings.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
vor 2 Stunden schrieb Mathijs Kok:

I can now confirm the recordings are being delivered. 

Please login to display this image.

Eh? These are from 2017/18... Or do i misunderstand something here?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Developer
12 hours ago, Ha_Ma said:

Eh? These are from 2017/18... Or do i misunderstand something here?

That's only the date when they were recorded. Not the date of the build of the actual sound set. I'm sure the switches sounded the same in 2018 as they do today 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Mathijs Kok:

I can now confirm the recordings are being delivered.

Wow, that's great news. Didn't expect it at this time, all the more a pleasant surprise. I'm sure you found an excellent set of recordings. Doesn't matter if it's old. 🙂

• Like 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Hans Hartmann:

That's only the date when they were recorded. Not the date of the build of the actual sound set. I'm sure the switches sounded the same in 2018 as they do today 😉

I am not afraid that they will sound old or wrong. I just wonder why they have not been used earlier... ;)

I think I may have misunderstood the situation in that case.

My understanding was they were trying to get the owner of a Twin Otter to put their plane through some amount of stress to get new recordings, that new recordings would be taken.  The issue of finding someone willing to allow their plane to be put through its paces to record audio was the hold up, and not licensing some already recorded audio files.

I’m sure I can dig out quotes that imply this.

But however they got them it’s fantastic news.  I just hope they have improved their WWise skills in the meantime. 

Greatly looking forward to smoother/better/louder/more appropriate sounds for the Twin Otter.

@Mathijs Kok you had said numerous times that the Twin Otter cockpit is unbearably loud. This was my experience as well, and I look forward to that experience in the sim with the Twin Otter soon enough.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, amahran said:

Greatly looking forward to smoother/better/louder/more appropriate sounds for the Twin Otter.

@Mathijs Kok you had said numerous times that the Twin Otter cockpit is unbearably loud. This was my experience as well, and I look forward to that experience in the sim with the Twin Otter soon enough.

Yes, I too look forward to unbearably loud audio that may cause hearing damage. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
Am 25.9.2022 um 18:56 schrieb Mathijs Kok:

I hope to get the files end of the month and then we have to work on them with Wwise to make the work in the sim.  Some something between weeks and months if delivery is on time.

Any update on this? At least did you actually get the files at all?