Twin Otter amphibious anchor

Whenever I start cold and dark in the amphibious Twin Otter, by the time I have set up the plane it has drifted onto the rocks. Is there anyway to prevent this? Can we have a mooring rope or anchor to use?

Set up the wind to drift you away from the rocks. Or pick a different launch spot. One with a dock works well.

Or start on land and taxi down into the water, amphibians do this very well.

Anchor would be cool addition though. Gets my vote.

I'm wondering if an anchor could be bound to the park brakes (in water) so setting/releasing the brake activates/deactivates the anchor.  This won't receive support from AS as it's not in the appropriate section though.....perhaps re-post

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 9:43 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

We experimented a lot with a anchor. But other then Active Pause there is simply no way to lock an aircraft in position on the water.  Wish it was different.

I recently bought Big Radials Goose. It has a water anchor you can deploy, but it's only visual and has no effect. On the MSFS forums someone brought up the ineffectiveness of the anchor and I had look at the MSFS simvars. It turns out there is a freeze event in MSFS. 

(K:FREEZE_LATITUDE_LONGITUDE_SET) 

The event will make the aircraft stay completely still on the latitude/longtitude axis (it will still weather wane around its axis though). I made a simple script to apply this freeze when the anchor is out and unfreeze the aircraft when the anchor is taken in. It's now a most effective as it can hold the aircraft still in the strongest gusts - and with the engines at full power!

As mentioned above the freeze could also be bound to the parking brake (checking if the plane is in water SURFACE TYPE, number = 2).

Just thought I might let you if you are still considering to implement an anchor for the amphibious Twin Otter.

Archived