Autopilot turning knobs - question for people operating CRJ's in RL

mikkel

When using the knobs on my Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, it takes quite many turns on the autopilot knobs, as an example to move an autopilot heading or course bug 360 degrees. How is this on the real aircraft, are there any kind of acceleration when turning the knobs?

If the CRJ is like most there is an acceleration function so that if you turn them fast, they will move progressively faster.   I use a script by @FltsimFlyboy that mimics this with the use of one of the switches on the Alpha to put the +/- knob in fast or slow mode.  Not a perfect solution, but one well used.  

I forgot to add that I am using Axis and Ohs for my controllers and the scripts I mention above. 

On 3/1/2022 at 1:21 PM, Crabby said:

If the CRJ is like most there is an acceleration function so that if you turn them fast, they will move progressively faster.   I use a script by @FltsimFlyboy that mimics this with the use of one of the switches on the Alpha to put the +/- knob in fast or slow mode.  Not a perfect solution, but one well used.  

I forgot to add that I am using Axis and Ohs for my controllers and the scripts I mention above. 

Can you point me in the right direction of this particular script? I use SPAD.neXt rather than Axes and Ohs so I don't think I can use it directly, but I'm hoping there's a similar concept I can adapt to do the same thing. Right now, the hardware I'm using is borderline unusable for the heading and altitude knobs because they move so slowly. This seems like it could be a solution.

3 hours ago, Aplato said:

Can you point me in the right direction of this particular script? I use SPAD.neXt rather than Axes and Ohs so I don't think I can use it directly, but I'm hoping there's a similar concept I can adapt to do the same thing. Right now, the hardware I'm using is borderline unusable for the heading and altitude knobs because they move so slowly. This seems like it could be a solution.

For spadnext, I would contact @LesOReilly From what I can see he is the Spad guru.  I have no idea if the acceleration is/can be implemented for the CRJ.  I don't want to steer you wrong on this.

6 hours ago, Crabby said:

For spadnext, I would contact @LesOReilly From what I can see he is the Spad guru.  I have no idea if the acceleration is/can be implemented for the CRJ.  I don't want to steer you wrong on this.

Understood, appreciate the response.

16 hours ago, Aplato said:

Understood, appreciate the response.

the CRJ can create acceleration..  If I spin fast I find it updates fast... but yes you are basically hitting the Change Event and then it flips that var back to 0...

On 3/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, LesOReilly said:

the CRJ can create acceleration..  If I spin fast I find it updates fast... but yes you are basically hitting the Change Event and then it flips that var back to 0...

Apologies for the delayed response. I'll have to re-test this since I've since (slightly) boosted the response time of my knobs for other aircraft, but at least previously it didn't send the signal fast enough to trigger the CRJ's built-in acceleration. I know you're a SPAD.neXt guru -- is there a way to script this manually like Crabby mentioned was done with Axes and Ohs? I would find that quite useful for other aircraft as well.

If not, do you have any feedback of the pros and cons between SPAD.neXt and Axes and Ohs? I'd hate to have to buy yet another program just to get my controls working properly (especially since SPAD.neXt isn't cheap to work with both MSFS and X-Plane), but there may not be any better options.

On 3/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, Aplato said:

Apologies for the delayed response. I'll have to re-test this since I've since (slightly) boosted the response time of my knobs for other aircraft, but at least previously it didn't send the signal fast enough to trigger the CRJ's built-in acceleration. I know you're a SPAD.neXt guru -- is there a way to script this manually like Crabby mentioned was done with Axes and Ohs? I would find that quite useful for other aircraft as well.

If not, do you have any feedback of the pros and cons between SPAD.neXt and Axes and Ohs? I'd hate to have to buy yet another program just to get my controls working properly (especially since SPAD.neXt isn't cheap to work with both MSFS and X-Plane), but there may not be any better options.

I don't use or have ever used Axis and Ohs...  I can't comment on it..

Am 1.3.2022 um 13:41 schrieb mikkel:

move an autopilot heading or course bug 360 degrees

Well, this is the fastest change possible - just don’t dial at all - unless you mean 180 degrees 😉

54 minutes ago, LH4371 said:

Well, this is the fastest change possible - just don’t dial at all - unless you mean 180 degrees 😉

smartass

Archived