Help with tutorial flight Düsseldorf to Basel (and maybe there was a bug also?)

First, what I suspect could be a bug:

- I tried to fly the tutorial flight in 'Vol1 Aircraft Operating Manual Part 1' from Düsseldorf to Basel, everything went fine until I approached transition point Altik. I had used the 1/2 bank button, as there are some quite sharp turns up to this point (I may have pressed the 1/2 bank button on and off to test it's function a couple of times). Anyways I suddenly noticed that the aircraft did not turn at Altik, but continue straight forward, the NAV-button was pressed on the FMC, but the FD showed showed that the aircraft should continue straight ahead. Earlier in the decent phase, I tried to enter NAV-radios manually for the "12 DME Arc BLM with frequency 117.45 set in VOR2" and "ILS with frequency 111.55, identifier MH set in VOR1 and course 153°" in the CDU . 

From Altik, I then manually flew the plane quite okay on the STAR/approach, for an ILS and visual landing on runway 15. About half way from Altik to the ILS intercept for RNW15, I noticed that the FD seemed to function correct again.

Okay, that was the issues I might belive could be a bug with the system.

Secondly, I would like to fly this tutorial again without any issues, but there is something I really did not understand how to interpret and apply from the tutorial:

- ILS Y RWY 15 with IAF ALTIK at minimum 5000 ft.

- 12 DME Arc BLM with frequency 117.45 set in VOR2

- ILS with frequency 111.55, identifier MH set in VOR1 and course 153°

How I'm I supposed combine this information with the entered STAR and apply this information into the FMC and radios in a correct manner?

The official tutorial is in Volume 3, I wonder if the one at the end of Volume 1 is a holdover.  I haven't tried it.

Without seeing the FMS, though, it sounds like you might have had a discontinuity and that's why it continued straight ahead instead of heading to the next waypoint.  Was it expecting vectors or something?  I also don't know how it would handle a DME arc.

Yes, the tutorial is probably from an earlier release of the CRJ, but it's still an interesting flight. Except this DME arc mentioning, it's easy to follow.

On FMS setup: I'm pretty sure I did not have any vectoring entries on the legs page, at least I had no discontinuities.

Looking forward to flying the tutorial flight again once I get some feedback on how to handle DME arcs.

Are you asking how to input DME arcs into the FMS?  Having just finished the manual, I don't think I saw anything about it, but if I have time tonight I'll look at the tutorial and try to program it and see what it looks like.

Are you asking how to fly a DME arc?  That's a different question and they're actually pretty simple.

I don't think it were included in the manual, but it seems like the add-on supports DME arc's. 

For me at least, I guess there are four issues that it would be interesting to understand:

- Can a DME circles be entered on the map display as a visual reference?

- Can you make the autopilot follow a DME arc without it being a part of the FMS route?

- It seems like a DME arc can be entered into the FMS, but how?

- Can a DME arc approach be combined with an ILS approach in the FMS-system?

On 3/3/2022 at 12:33 AM, mikkel said:

Can a DME circles be entered on the map display as a visual reference?

From the Fix page you could enter the VOR/DME name and the DME distance and display it.

I'm not sure if there's a way to fly a DME arc automatically, though.

Archived