How to change modes on the HGS

jay jay

Can't seem to be able to change modes on the HGS from PRI to one of the landing options.   I followed the info in the manual but no luck.   Am I missing something?

Also, does anyone know what the differences are for the various landing modes?   The pics in the user manual are pretty poor.

Lastly, if any of our RL CRJ pilots are out there - if your jets are equipped with this, do you use the HGS for all phases of flight or just for certain scenarios such as ILS landings in poor weather?

John

This one perplexed me and frankly I still don't have a "real" answer.  What has worked is setting up the rwy length/altitude and glideslope.  Making sure that both radios are tuned to the ILS.  Then selecting an HGS mode and hitting the ENTER key on the HGS keypad.  Not supposed to work that way I don't think.  Anyhow, nothing happens until I actually get into the approach, then the HUD display changes.  Honestly, I don't know which of the steps makes it work, but I think it is the pressing of enter after selecting a standby mode. 

5 minutes ago, Crabby said:

This one perplexed me and frankly I still don't have a "real" answer.  What has worked is setting up the rwy length/altitude and glideslope.  Making sure that both radios are tuned to the ILS.  Then selecting an HGS mode and hitting the ENTER key on the HGS keypad.  Not supposed to work that way I don't think.  Anyhow, nothing happens until I actually get into the approach, then the HUD display changes.  Honestly, I don't know which of the steps makes it work, but I think it is the pressing of enter after selecting a standby mode. 

I've been able to get HGS landing modes twice.  Once it just happened on it's own, the other time I had the ILS mode in Standby and somehow got lucky and after hitting enter, it loaded up.   I've repeated the same steps multiple other times but nothing gets me out of Primary mode.   Primary still gives me the velocity vector that a "HUD cripple" like me finds so useful for landing but I'd still like to use all the modes that the system has to offer. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just bumping this to the top.   I read Crabby's suggestions above but still am able to get the HGS mode to change from PRI to whatever I am looking for maybe 10% of the time.    Why is this so difficult?  Am I not following the instructions correctly or is this a bug?   If a bug, why would it still be present this far into the life of this sim?   I have to believe it's a relatively straightforward fix.   

Also, what are the difference in the displays between CAT I to CAT III?   Just increasing levels of "declutter"?

For RL pilots, if your CRJ is equipped with the HUD, do you use it in all phases of the flight or just for certain scenarios such as an ILS approach to minimums?

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2022 at 6:15 AM, Puuhbear said:

there is a manual you could download and read here: https://www.smartcockpit.com/docs/HGS_00_Pilots_Guide_CRJ_00.pdf

That was quite interesting, thanks for posting.   I'm not sure how much of what the manufacture's manual provides actually relates to what AS implemented in their sim.   So that leads to more questions / random comments    Check out the drawing from the manual linked above, showing CAT III / RO modes activated.   Has Aerosoft implemented these features, so they display properly in the PFD?  I haven't seen them.   Have they provided a Rollout mode?

Please login to display this image.

According to the manufacturer's manual, to change modes you need to set your selected mode into the Standby window and then press Enter to activate that mode.  Pushing ACT at any time automatically brings you back to PRI mode.   With regarding to landing modes, one of the requirements for using the CAT I-III modes is that both VHF receivers are tuned to the same localizer frequency.   Do I need to set this frequency manually, I assumed that this was done automatically by the FMS?

Also, the real HGS has an "auto brightness" mode as well.   I'll see if that is available on my next flight.   

When using TO mode, it should automatically change to PRI when you reach 50' AGL.   

Need to do a test flight to see how many features of the real HGS actually are present in the sim.  I had no idea that the real HGS was this "deep" in features.