Hunting for waypoints

I read a thread about the aircraft zig-zagging to obtain waypoints along a flight path. I am experiencing the same thing. The plane will fly parallel to the flight path and at the last minute, turn hard toward the waypoint, then it zig-zags back and forth to get back on course. I understand that there was a fix in the making. I have only owned the crj for a few weeks, so assumed that would have been included. Any suggestions/recommendations? Otherwise, I love the crj. Thanks.

There is a major update in the works.  If folks here had not opened numerous threads about the same topic, you probably would have seen that that issue is on the list.  Now, I don't work for AS and have no knowledge if that issue will be fixed in the very next update, just that it is acknowledged and being looked into.

Personally, I have nearly 300 hours on this aircraft in this sim.  I do not see this issue on every flight, in fact I have seen it only about 4 or 5 times.  Some people apparently see it all the time.  So, it's a weird one.

10 hours ago, Crabby said:

There is a major update in the works.  If folks here had not opened numerous threads about the same topic, you probably would have seen that that issue is on the list.  Now, I don't work for AS and have no knowledge if that issue will be fixed in the very next update, just that it is acknowledged and being looked into.

Personally, I have nearly 300 hours on this aircraft in this sim.  I do not see this issue on every flight, in fact I have seen it only about 4 or 5 times.  Some people apparently see it all the time.  So, it's a weird one.

Thanks. Good to hear that it is being addressed. It has gotten progressively worse with each flight. I had to abort the flight tonight as the plane completely missed the first waypoint ( by miles) and swayed back and forth endlessly. It's strange because I had many flights where it worked perfectly, then I started to notice it doing a bit of swaying and hunting, now it just banks all the way over and all the way back. This was even on a straight leg. I'm going to hanger it for now as it's no longer enjoyable to fly. Here is a video link. Maybe it will help the developers. Video quality is poor as I downsized it from 1440p.

EDIT: I decided to un-pause the flight and continue on heading mode for a bit. I then tried NAV mode again and it tracked beautifully. My problems with the swaying seem to be most pronounced at the beginning of the flight - the early waypoints. I was probably a bit harsh when stating I would hanger the plane. I just hope a solution is forthcoming as otherwise this plane is a joy. 

Please login to view this video.

On 2/26/2022 at 1:16 PM, Richard Dastardly said:

Try using HDG until past the first WP/aimng at the 2nd. Most of my issues with lnav are on approaches, i've found, and holds.

Thanks. Yes! That's what I have discovered works. I fly to the first waypoint in heading mode then engage LNAV and it works great after that. Absolutely no issues with tracking RNAV approaches now that I keep my speeds to the restrictions I set for the waypoints based on approach charts.

I love this plane and this game, but my latest issue is the ridiculous extreme shifts in winds which cause the plane to become uncontrollable at times. If using real world weather, I will -  with striking regularity - pitch up to 8000 v/s when passing ~FL260. I'm flying now at FL390, and I have had two extreme shifts in wind causing the plane to go from 0.74 - 0.85 instantly, then suddenly drop to 0.64. I can easily drop 1000 ft, instantaneously. I guess I will have to go back to preset weather themes, although that's not particularly realistic to have the same weather over a 1000 mile flight.

EDIT: Here is tonight's experience...descending nicely toward my STAR. Aircraft suddenly and violently pitches up 10000 feet/minute and stalls even though I have full down elevator, max throttle in an attempt to recover. I am assuming this is a simulator issue and not the CRJ itself. 

Please login to display this image.

Extreme Pitching up and Uncontrollability...

I could not replicate this behaviour with 3 default aircraft, A320, B787 or Citation Jet after hours of flying with live weather, ascending and descending. In all cases there was the typical light turbulence on occasion, but nothing that in any way was like what I am experiencing with the CRJ on every flight now when using online weather.

Is it possible that it is somehow related to the CRJ's flight model?

Any more suggestions about how to get my crj to acquire and fly to the first waypoint? My flight plan tonight had its first waypoint a hundred miles or so from my departure. In NAV mode, I was miles off course and had to revert to heading hold and make numerous adjustments. No other plane I have does this. I'm fine with the heading 'workaround' for now, but it would be good to hear if this will be addressed, or if I'm doing something wrong, or my settings are somehow messed up. I don't get this. After the first waypoint, the plane tracks perfectly, but it just refuses to fly to the first waypoint until the last second, then it desperately flops back and forth to meet the waypoint. Even if I fly the heading and get the plane perfectly on its course, as soon as I engage NAV, it will steer away from the course. Even the CDI shows it's off course, but it will continually bank away from the course. 

A screenshot or video showing the TO waypoint on the MFD map and on the CDU would help here. The FMS of this addon currently has several bugs, including an inconsistency of the active (TO) waypoint on the MFD and the CDU. As a result the aircraft "desperately flops back and forth" as you mentioned.

What i see is that my CRJ often starts a turn too early before reaching a waypoint and then turning to hard, so it misses the track to the next WP. After a while it makes a sharp turn to get back on track.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:07 AM, KuntaKinte said:

A screenshot or video showing the TO waypoint on the MFD map and on the CDU would help here. The FMS of this addon currently has several bugs, including an inconsistency of the active (TO) waypoint on the MFD and the CDU. As a result the aircraft "desperately flops back and forth" as you mentioned.

Thanks, and sorry for the delay in responding. I will provide a video as requested soon. Tonight, during my flight, passing a waypoint, the airplane full banked back and forth at least 12 times before it settled out on course. Do you think this is something that will be fixed relatively soon? My programming seems fine as I clear any discontinuities, advance through my plan and it looks great, SID, waypoints and STAR. I confirm everything - altitudes/speed restrictions etc - with plates. The approach phase is always perfect. I clear any vectors, manually control descents per restrictions and it will always be perfectly lined up and ready to acquire the GS. Same with all non-ILS approaches. However, it will never accurately track the first waypoint. Lately, I have been flying the heading bug to my first waypoint to stop the rocking. Normally after the first waypoint, it will track fine. Tonight, this was the second waypoint on my plan.  It's a total immersion killer after a long flight preparation takeoff and climb. I like this plane a lot, but I'm losing interest in going through the motions of flight planning/programming, only to have the plane act erratically. I just decided to quit the flight tonight and go do some GA flying. I've had several complex payware aircraft and the only other time I experienced a similar issue was way back with the Dreamfleet 737 and wing rocking as it struggled too to stay on course. That was eventually patched iirc. Never had any issues with the LDS767 in FS9. 

Archived