ADG Manual Release

mikkel

Just unstowed the ADG at ground in a cold and dark cockpit, this started what sounds like aircondition and the text lit up on the Flight Dynamics panel. Is this correct behaviour?

(Btw. I run SU8 beta)

• Aerosoft
15 minutes ago, mikkel said:

Just unstowed the ADG at ground in a cold and dark cockpit, this started what sounds like aircondition and the text lit up on the Flight Dynamics panel. Is this correct behaviour?

(Btw. I run SU8 beta)

Well, probably not, but it is of course pilot behavior that is rather unexpected and we do not model these kinds of things. Just not in the scope of a project like this. Right now it is modeled to provide power when the generators are down when the aircraft is in flight, we did not model deployment when the aircraft is not moving (again, because that is probably never happened in a real aircraft).

With the storms over Europe, it might even get you enough power to light up some screens!

Hmm --- I don't know anything about MSFS development, but would it not be possible to add a condition that limits the generator based on airspeed?

BTW: I've also accidentally trimmed the ailerons and rudders before takeoff, in real life, one would expect a warning showing up if trim are outside the greens? 

3 minutes ago, mikkel said:

BTW: I've also accidentally trimmed the ailerons and rudders before takeoff, in real life, one would expect a warning showing up if trim are outside the greens? 

Yes, you would not get a T/O CONFIG OK advisory message and if you would attempt takeoff, when both engines reach N1 of 70%+, you would see CONFIG AILERON or CONFIG RUDDER red warning messages, along with a CONFIG TRIM aural alert.

Those two seem to be missing from the AS CRJ. A bit strange as the other config warnings are present (flaps, brakes, elevator trim, spoilers, AP etc). And the aural alert is the same as for the elevator trim, so it could be easily implemented... Who knows, maybe it will make it onto a list some day.

9 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Right now it is modeled to provide power when the generators are down when the aircraft is in flight, we did not model deployment when the aircraft is not moving (again, because that is probably never happened in a real aircraft).

A sim pilot however, does sometimes like to see what happens pressing different buttons and fiddling around in the cockpit. This issue is however mostly cosmetic, but the lack of trim warning confirmed by CRJay might be a more 'pressing' issue that should be looked into?

1 hour ago, mikkel said:

A sim pilot however, does sometimes like to see what happens pressing different buttons and fiddling around in the cockpit.

For me, too, the simulation depth cannot be great enough, but it is perfectly clear that there must be limits here. Personally, I can live very well with the fact that the ADG does not behave like the real one or that the control surfaces can be moved without hydraulic pressure etc., because these are all abnormal situations.

I would be satisfied if the addon performed like the real aircraft under normal OPS conditions, because that was promised at the time.

So far (from my very limited experience with the CRJ), I would hope Aerosoft could fix the following:

- Trim warnings for ailerons and rudder, to reflect the real aircraft, and also make the simulated version safer :)

- Update the tutorial to reflect how the weather settings and other settings actually work in the current version of the sim, so that it's possible to manually configure the tutorial scenario. An update to the situation files, so that they work, would also be nice. To be honest, I was a bit surprised that it was not possible to follow the tutorial step by step. (A slight OCD makes that a bit annoying). The quality of the documentation is otherwise very impressive.

- Fix FMS state being immediately blanked out on power-loss. Curious as to how this works in the real plane.

- Make sure that the ADG won't start to power up an aircraft thats not moving, and hence avoid breaking the fourth wall.

IMHO; neither of these issues has anything to do with a deep system simulation for advanced users, but something I would guess most normal sim-gamer would expect to be in order.

Joystick mapping requests:

- Make sure that it's possible to map the elevator and aileron trim with dual button function, and still get animations. Spad.next is growing on me on the way to get an easy to use CRJ cockpit.

- Make it possible to animate all the knobs in the cockpit, as an example, the Barometer knob and the Cabin Press knob

- Make it possible to properly animate the elevator trim buttons (so that they keep pressed in, while the trim button is pressed)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 6:43 PM, mikkel said:

Hmm --- I don't know anything about MSFS development, but would it not be possible to add a condition that limits the generator based on airspeed?

For the devs, if you implement this, the magic number is 132kts

The FCOM for the 900 lists 135kts. I have done a maintenance flight twice on our planes, after work was done on the ADG that required a flight with it deployed to note if it was within specifications, and I saw that speed confirmed within about ~1kt. 

22 minutes ago, CRJay said:

The FCOM for the 900 lists 135kts. I have done a maintenance flight twice on our planes, after work was done on the ADG that required a flight with it deployed to note if it was within specifications, and I saw that speed confirmed within about ~1kt. 

Nice, and is it just an on/off situation at about 135 kts, or is it something gradual that happens around then?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks for the input from the knowledgeable pilot/maintainer folks, but this is straying away from the original question, answered by Mathis' post.

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived