Manual Auto Pilot mode

liazkam

The twin otter's manual (which in a league of it own) clearly states: 

In the Twin Otter, the autopilot serves as a support for the pilots during the flight. For example, the climb must be performed in a 'semi-automatic', i.e. the so-called manual autopilot mode.

And this how the manual AP mode is described:

When this mode is selected,
the horizontal (HDG, NAV, B/C) or vertical (ALT, IAS) autopilot capability remains unused.

When I activate the AP with ALT mode, the AP actually runs in what is called ROL mode - it keep the wings leveled. If I try to turn the toke, in the sim I can see the opposite reaction, as if the sim yoke counters my movement with a reverse action.

This is actually how the default AP behaves. I have verified that.

In another thread, Aerosoft actually verified my assumption: the Twin-Otter relies on the default AP, and the special mode recommended in the manual cannot be achieved

Can you please explain what should I expect?

12 minutes ago, liazkam said:

Can you please explain what should I expect?

You should expect it to behave like the default KAP140. The manual is based on a book that was originally written for the Twin Otter Extended and some references to features of the old autopilot remain, including the AP-106 manual mode. This is not implemented in the new version, although the dials are present on the centre of the yoke pedestal. There is therefore no attitude hold either, other than the ROL mode, although this doesn't seem to behave consistently and I sometimes get it holding a bank for reasons I don't understand. I have implemented my own tweaks to capture the VS when the AP is selected on, as this doesn't work properly in Asobo's KAP140. I made a video about it if you want to go and look.

Mark, thank you very much for your comment, It was very helpful. I have been following your channel for years, you have amazing content, but I unfortunately I've missed the latest videos. I'm subscribed now, so it won't happen again :)

17 hours ago, MarkHurst said:

This is not implemented in the new version

This is really confusing, and a bit disappointing. It seems we have a manual to how DHC6 should have been flying IRL and in other sims, but not the way it is built in MSFS. 

Aerosoft, I completely understand the reasons to go with default systems, but the manual should state very clearly what is IRL what is in the sim.

This has been my favorite plane back in FSX, and I love it on MSFS, and I know it will be better. But, please review the manual again and mark the differences.

Archived