Hot Brakes

jay jay

Ever since I've owned this sim, I've wondered if you can overheat the brakes.   I've done some pretty agressive taxing but never saw any sign they were getting hot.   Yesterday, I landed a bit further down the runway than I had hoped and had to aggressively brake.  Before pulling off the runway, I got a master warning light and a "Hot Brakes" indicated.   Low and behold, each of the 4 brake temps were showing 18 (assume degrees C?).  That being said, 18 degrees C is still only 64F, wondering if it really meant 180C?  That equates to ~ 350F which seems a bit more reasonable.  

One other note - I taxi'd to the gate barely using the brakes and during an extended shut down, I never saw the temps drop.    Is this modeled in the sim or once heated, they stay hot?  

The indicators on the cockpit displays are not direct temperature readouts. From 0-6 it is below 220C. 7-14 is 221C-492C and anything over 14 is >493C. So 18 will definitely get you a nice overheat warning :P . Your brakes were likely somewhere around 600-650C, that would probably require quite some time to cool down to normal temps.

For reference, I don't think I have seen any indication higher than 8 on any of my flights, even fully loaded in summer time and marginal runway length...

FYI:

On 9/16/2021 at 9:13 AM, KuntaKinte said:

Hi.

I saw that you have closed the Brake Temp thread. Could you please add a confirmation that the missing warnings I mentioned are on the tracking list?

On 9/17/2021 at 7:43 AM, Jonas S. said:

I'm still in a conversation about that with the developer/testers.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived