Excessive yawing while taxing, taking off and landing?

Hi,
didn't know which topic to post this under but i have a problem

On taxiing the twotter tends to yaw hard left or right at around 10kts, at takeoff i have to apply a lot of rudder to keep it straight, and while landing as soon as i touch down i just swerve because of the same yawing thing,
it's become difficult to taxi due to this

Anyone else having this issue? thought it was torque but since it's going in the left and right direction I don't believe it is

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Transair27 said:

no I don't and it doesn't sound like yaw from torque.  I'd suggest there's another control (rudder maybe) binding interfering with it. Tried other aircraft?

Don't get it on any other aircraft. I tried with autorudder on so it may just be torque. Though i find the take off rudder trim setting is too far, often resulting in the plne pulling left on takeoff

• Deputy Sheriffs
9 hours ago, TheInternetLad said:

Hi,
didn't know which topic to post this under but i have a problem

On taxiing the twotter tends to yaw hard left or right at around 10kts, at takeoff i have to apply a lot of rudder to keep it straight, and while landing as soon as i touch down i just swerve because of the same yawing thing,
it's become difficult to taxi due to this

Anyone else having this issue? thought it was torque but since it's going in the left and right direction I don't believe it is

The Twin Otter is due to it's design quite susceptible to crosswinds when taxiing, take-off and roll-out after landing. Can you check the wind direction next time? You can see that on the GPS as well in the right bottom corner.

But with rudder pedals it's easier to counter.

• Like 1

I don't suppose you have your copilot 'assisting'? I'm pretty sure that was my problem. My plane was all over the place until I got rid of the copilot. Sometimes, if he's really well behaved, I'll let him handle the ATC comms. Otherwise, I would follow Transair27's recommendation of some inadvertent key bindings. I also had that problem. It can be an issue when you have a yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, a keyboard and mouse all vying for control.

I agree with Eric Bakker's comment, it is a crosswind that is doing it. I set the weather to clear skies yesterday and had no issues keeping the aircraft straight. Turned on live weather with a 10 degree 10 knot crosswind and it was all over the place!

35 minutes ago, GWilson said:

I agree with Eric Bakker's comment, it is a crosswind that is doing it. I set the weather to clear skies yesterday and had no issues keeping the aircraft straight. Turned on live weather with a 10 degree 10 knot crosswind and it was all over the place!

The Twin Otter should be able to handle two or three times 10 knot crosswind. It never would have survived service as a bush plane if it was restricted to 10 kts. We landed on gravel strips in the north in incredibly blustery conditions far exceeding 10 kts. The live weather is not stable in FS from what I've seen, just like older versions of the sim. The transitions are too abrupt. I was flying over the Rockies and had to switch off real weather as the wind direction and speed were radically changing as well as pressure. At FL360 the CRJ was uncontrollable either hand flying or with AP. I'm really surprised that it didn't cause airframe stress damage as I have the enabled.

All that said, rudder pedals and dual axis throttle are essential. I use them in combination with asymetric thrust during both taxi and takeoff if I need to. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, acbent123 said:

The Twin Otter should be able to handle two or three times 10 knot crosswind. It never would have survived service as a bush plane if it was restricted to 10 kts. We landed on gravel strips in the north in incredibly blustery conditions far exceeding 10 kts. The live weather is not stable in FS from what I've seen, just like older versions of the sim. The transitions are too abrupt. I was flying over the Rockies and had to switch off real weather as the wind direction and speed were radically changing as well as pressure. At FL360 the CRJ was uncontrollable either hand flying or with AP. I'm really surprised that it didn't cause airframe stress damage as I have the enabled.

All that said, rudder pedals and dual axis throttle are essential. I use them in combination with asymetric thrust during both taxi and takeoff if I need to. 

Totally agree that the weather is the issue (and not the plane). I was just confirming that when you set clear skies the plane is controllable on takeoff...any weather input from MSFS2020 seems to be making it yaw heavy! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This problem is very annoying..

AS Twotter is extremely sensitive to wind. Even under little wind, it is impossible to taxi even at low speeds. 

Landing and take off are different problem. Since the extreme rudder is needed to comphensate the veering, plane starts to roll over. 

So, basically, using AS twotter is impossible to under any kind of wind.

• Like 2

• Aerosoft

Well, it is a rather short aircraft with a very massive tail. So because of the design it is rather sensitive to crosswind. However I have zero problems taxying it in a 20 knots crosswind, at 25 knots it does need a lot of attention but that is pretty realistic.  We are able to take-off and land with the crosswinds that are set as the max in the manual. Without problems. Look at some of the many videos on YT and you will find many streamers landing with crosswind. Some even with rather extreme crosswind.

But as you mention the aircraft 'rolls', might it be you are using aileron and not rudder to compensate for the wind? Using rudder there simply is very very little roll. In fact, I doubt any simmer will even notice that rudder input will cause a roll (because the difference in airspeed over the wings). If your aircraft rolls it means you are inserting a force along the  longitudinal axis. While that is a way to counter crosswind while landing (NOT advised in the Twin Otter, a compensation along the vertical axis is advised), while taxing it is only rudder that is your friend.

• Like 1

I am using rudder at low speeds but during takeoffs or landings, it needs lots of rudder to stay at centerline and excessive rudder input makes the plane roll and I have to use reverse aileron at the same time to avoid crash

• Like 2

• Aerosoft

Are you using any hardware to steer the plane ?
Is the sentitivity curve linear ?
Haven't you multiple assignments to the rudder axis ?
Is your ASSISTANCE parameter set to TRUE TO LIFE ?

Thank you.

12 hours ago, SimWare said:

Are you using any hardware to steer the plane ?
Is the sentitivity curve linear ?
Haven't you multiple assignments to the rudder axis ?
Is your ASSISTANCE parameter set to TRUE TO LIFE ?

Thank you.

hotas warthog, throttle and ch pedals

I didn't touch the curves

No, just pedals

Tried several parameters

and also I don't get this behaviour with other small props in the sim. just twotter.

• Aerosoft
20 hours ago, cenkcnk said:

hotas warthog, throttle and ch pedals

I didn't touch the curves

No, just pedals

Tried several parameters

and also I don't get this behaviour with other small props in the sim. just twotter.

But as asked, is your trim set for TO?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 8:47 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

But as asked, is your trim set for TO?

yes I do. still veers and rolls

• Aerosoft
14 hours ago, cenkcnk said:

yes I do. still veers and rolls

Also for the sake of tests, unplug all the controls, restart the simulator and advance

the throttles with the keyboard or mouse.

Then check if it still veers.

Best regards.

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, cenkcnk said:

If the controllers were the problem I guess I would see this problem during no wind taxi and take offs

Hi,

Maybe indeed.
But it may perhaps be worth trying to rule out hardware for sure.

Just my 2 cents...

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed exactly the same yawing problem on the ground - the Otter is impossible to control unless the wind is directly from the front.  Taxi crosswind and the plane yaws INTO the wind so it has nothing to do with engine torque.  Using rudder pedals is useless - just touching the pedals makes the plane slide all over the place.  Turning Autorudder back ON works but I don't have to do this for any other aircraft - just the Otter.  Also much worse using Live Weather, but again only the Otter seems to be affected.  BTW, I also have all piloting options at Hard.

• Like 1

I don't have any yaw problems on the ground with the otter.  Have you got a dead zone in the rudder pedals, such that minor applications do not cause much input, and have you optimised rudder sensitivity?