Engines go mad after start

ThePilot_Ace

It would probably help if you told us which aircraft you are talking about, although this can be caused by a FSUIPC if not setup and calibrated properly. If you dont know what FSUIPC is then its not that causing a problem.

My bad! Twin Otter. I do have the payware version of the latest fsuicp, any tips?

and just to add, I have version 1.11 and I have followed the checklist provided.

Thanks for the help :)

First let me ask you if you have assigned or calibrated the throttle axis in FSUIPC. If not then its almost definitely not FSUIPC that is causing an issue.

If you have then I'd suggest reading the manual and go through the calibration process again, if you don't do it correctly then problems like these can occur sometimes.

As soon as the flight has load, quickly move You throttles a tad out of idel and back again.

As far as I know this is a FSX "feature" on turboprop engines. I think You will experience something similar on the default King Air as well.

Finn

Make sure you use the "throttle" setting in FSUIPC and not "throttle 1" if you only have a single throttle control on your joystick. Throttle with no number after it controls all engines at once, "Throttle 1" only controls engine 1, "Throttle 2" engine 2 etc etc.

Try loading a flight with the default Cessna and create the flight from the free flight menu, make sure all systems are switched on and engines running, then save the flight and tick the "make default flight box" also. Next switch to the Twotter and close down all engines and systems, again save the flight and tick the default box again. Close down FSX and restart. Load the flight that you just saved with the Twotter and try starting up the engines, Do they the engines still go mad.

If so then i'd say its a problem with your joystick drivers/software, it may be worth trying to plug the stick into another USB socket and see if that fixes the problem. When you change USB ports it reloads the drivers afresh for that new port.

i thi8nk i know what his prob might be. experienced the same before...

i did a manual startup with the Cessna Caravan and put the conditionlever to 100% and the plane jumped forward into the gat though thrust was at idle, but when you do an automatic startup you see that fsx sets the condition lever to 30% and the plane does not jump forward.

did you do a manual engine startup?

• Aerosoft

Could you try something for me? In the aircraft.cfg file of the aircraft you like to test with, search for the fuel_flow_gain entry and change that to 0.02.

This could solve the problem. If so let me know as we are also testing with this tweak.

Could you try something for me? In the aircraft.cfg file of the aircraft you like to test with, search for the fuel_flow_gain entry and change that to 0.02.

This could solve the problem. If so let me know as we are also testing with this tweak.

This tweak worked for me like magic... my Twotter is happy.

Thank you.

Jim

Yes but the engine is now very slow to react to governer/throttle inputs, especially when spooling up from idle to take off power.

Departing KTVL (RWY 36) it takes 13 seconds here for engines to go to full power. (FSX SP1)

I have no idea what it is on the real aircraft.

Jim

i recently purchased the Cheyenne x and I am little shocked that it behaves so like a heavyweight. On the pics she always appeared like a light twin to me. She requires more runway length for take-off than the learjet...

but the actual problem is: i followed the checklist for engine start up ans i have the feeling the engine runs at 100% for at least five seconds. Even though brakes are set, she still moves forward a few ft. by the way: Why has the mixture condition lever only two positions?

• Aerosoft
i recently purchased the Cheyenne x and I am little shocked that it behaves so like a heavyweight. On the pics she always appeared like a light twin to me. She requires more runway length for take-off than the learjet...

but the actual problem is: i followed the checklist for engine start up ans i have the feeling the engine runs at 100% for at least five seconds. Even though brakes are set, she still moves forward a few ft. by the way: Why has the mixture condition lever only two positions?

because on turbine props the condition lever is either a on/off switch or an on/idle/off switch. There is no 'mixture' in this type of engine.

I've seen similar things. Even with feathered props the engine start overpowers the parking brakes, not by much but it's enough to move the plane. Changing the scalar does help but the response is not very slow on throttle changes.

It seems similar to the problem I've reported with doing air restarts. For some very strange reason, sometimes the engine will surge to 100% torque and ITT and stay there regardless of where the throttle is.

On initial start, the engines will always spool up to 100% torque and ITT but after several seconds will settle down to where the throttle is set.

The difference is that this is happening to him on initial startup and with me it only happens after air restarts or re-starts on the ground also.

Ken

• Aerosoft
It seems similar to the problem I've reported with doing air restarts. For some very strange reason, sometimes the engine will surge to 100% torque and ITT and stay there regardless of where the throttle is.

On initial start, the engines will always spool up to 100% torque and ITT but after several seconds will settle down to where the throttle is set.

The difference is that this is happening to him on initial startup and with me it only happens after air restarts or re-starts on the ground also.

Ken

We have seen this a few times in the beta, but I personally have never been able to re-create it. What I always do is move the throttle fully up and down before starting as FSX has the nasty habit of not knowing where the throttle is until there is a throttle input detected.

What I do, is to move the throttle a bit forward and back to idle as soon as the twotter has loaded in order to "command" idle power.

Hitting F1 should do the same !

Finn

Hitting F1 during startup keeps the surge under control and the engine does not power up to 100% for so long. I can avoid the nasty surprise of braker overpowering by hitting F1 several times during the startup sequence. It was the same with other turboprop addons though and seems related to the turboprop model of FSX.

Yes, but unfortunately this happens during air restarts where I've already been flying the airplane for a long time and the throttle has already moved several times. Also, once it happens, no amount of throttle movement will unbreak the 100% thrust surge.

Cheers,

Ken

We have seen this a few times in the beta, but I personally have never been able to re-create it. What I always do is move the throttle fully up and down before starting as FSX has the nasty habit of not knowing where the throttle is until there is a throttle input detected.

i have solved the problem for my Cheyenne X:

Follow procedure as described in the manual, BUT keep both prop levers in position FEATHERED. The engines starts nonetheless. Afterwards move the prop levers gently into position FULL FORWARD.

By doing it this way i don't really need to set the brakes any more.

• Aerosoft
Yes, but unfortunately this happens during air restarts where I've already been flying the airplane for a long time and the throttle has already moved several times. Also, once it happens, no amount of throttle movement will unbreak the 100% thrust surge.

Cheers,

Ken

Could you confirm this does not happen with the default turbine props in FSX?