Marketplace Version: Pre-arm VS?

AHal

Hello,

I was comparing with a friend who has the direct Aerosoft One version and I have marketplace. Spawning in on the runway, he is immediately, without pressing anything else, able to press the UP button and pre-arm VS. On the Marketplace version this is not possible until after takeoff and autopilot is engaged. Is this a known issue, and has anyone else been having this problem?

Thanks for any feedback!

Cheers

On 2/3/2022 at 5:49 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

It is for sure not a known issue. The code behind it is 100% the same and it is hard to see how the two versions could differ. Can anybody confirm this behavior?

Thanks, I will begin the painstaking process of seeing if I have some obscure mod installed that is preventing it. Basically, I cannot set any vertical speed prior to takeoff and he showed me a recording doing the exact same thing on the runway - pressing up on the autopilot panel - and it immediately set VS. If it hasn't been reported elsewhere, I have to assume it's something on my end. I will dig a little deeper. Thanks for the reply!

8 hours ago, AHal said:

Thanks, I will begin the painstaking process of seeing if I have some obscure mod installed that is preventing it. Basically, I cannot set any vertical speed prior to takeoff and he showed me a recording doing the exact same thing on the runway - pressing up on the autopilot panel - and it immediately set VS. If it hasn't been reported elsewhere, I have to assume it's something on my end. I will dig a little deeper. Thanks for the reply!

I'm pretty sure you are on a wild goose chase*. The real KAP140 activates in VS mode and captures the extant VS at the time of activation. This means it isn't even supposed to do what you describe. Regardless, the Asobo version of the KAP140 activates in VS mode but always setting the VS to zero. You can program your way around this with the right tools, and I have made a video about it if you want to go looking.

(*Or maybe not - see below.)

Same problem here -Aerosoft version (so really don't think where you DL it is of importance).

Managed to set VS on ground by pressing AP on and quickly press VS up. Maybe Im getting +200 before AP turns off. Repeating process AP on - quickly VS+, finally getting it to +1000f/m-ish. 

Not sure how the real 140 works. But would be nice to be able to set it on ground...

If I get time I'll try: usually I set Altitude first (on ground). Then try VS (don't work). Maybe if we set VS before Alt...(?)

52 minutes ago, Fornax said:

Same problem here -Aerosoft version (so really don't think where you DL it is of importance).

Managed to set VS on ground by pressing AP on and quickly press VS up. Maybe Im getting +200 before AP turns off. Repeating process AP on - quickly VS+, finally getting it to +1000f/m-ish. 

Not sure how the real 140 works. But would be nice to be able to set it on ground...

Actually, I have revised my understanding of how the Asobo one works. Perhaps this is consistent with what you see. I'm pretty sure it still doesn't behave like the KAP140 manual says it should (capturing the VS when you go onto AP). However, it seems to remember the selected VS if you were in VS mode when the AP was disconnected. This does indeed seem to mean you can dial the VS in on the ground by switching the AP on. The AP always starts in VS mode, BUT if you are within 200 feet of the selected altitude dialled in on the AP, as soon as you press the UP or DN button the mode flips back to ALT. (Perhaps this is what you mean when you say the AP turns off.) This is because the AP thinks it has acquired the target altitude.

In other words, to do what you want, make sure you dial in an altitude more than 200 feet away from your current altitude, turn the AP on, dial in the required VS with the UP/DN buttons and turn it off again.

Yeah, tnx, I'll try that (when I have time...too much family stuff😉).

But Im pretty sure I set alt much higher than +200' from my present alt - like 8000' while Im on ground at 100' - AP still turns off(or does it go back to Alt-mode?) as far as I remember...

I have the marketplace version, and have been able to set vs on the ground. I have to set it using the dial on either my Honeycomb Bravo or Logitech/Saitek Multipanel, not the buttons in the VC. It's always a bit fiddly to set vs on the vs on the autopilot, I don't know if it's because I have the Logitec and Honeycomb units installed.

Interesting. I have seen some people be able to just immediately arm VS on the ground without doing anything, and others (like me) have to first turn on autopilot before they can activate VS, on the ground or in the air.

Maybe it's peripheral related, but two other folks and I today tested it out and one was able to spawn, and immediately start arming VS without pressing anything else, no AP, no NAV, etc. The benefit of that would be that right after TO, activating AP immediately engages the pre-armed VS climb. Me and the other guy had to first turn on AP before we could set VS. I read above that IRL it's not supposed to be able to pre-arm VS such as, say a G1000, but alas, there is seemingly some inconsistency for whatever the reason.

As I said this is not a big deal to me, more just a curiosity. Certainly not expecting anything, I was just wondering if others noticed this - if some were able to arm it before activating autopilot versus not. I know this is no G1000, just used that as an example.

Cheers

7 hours ago, AHal said:

Interesting. I have seen some people be able to just immediately arm VS on the ground without doing anything

Are you sure this is what is happening? You can preselect the altitude (with the knobs) when the AP is off. Also, you need to make sure you're comparing like with like. It seems very unlikely that two people are manipulating the buttons on the VC panel with different results. If someone is doing it with hardware mappings, that's different. You can get all sorts of results by stuffing values into sim variables.

8 hours ago, MarkHurst said:

Are you sure this is what is happening? You can preselect the altitude (with the knobs) when the AP is off. Also, you need to make sure you're comparing like with like. It seems very unlikely that two people are manipulating the buttons on the VC panel with different results. If someone is doing it with hardware mappings, that's different. You can get all sorts of results by stuffing values into sim variables.

This is the video. The only thing he said is that he spun the altitude dial on his bravo for altitude, but as you can see, was able to click and set VS. No other buttons pressed, hardware or otherwise. Would setting altitude with a Honeycomb really change the ability to arm vertical speed? (Legitimate question, I have no idea).

Cheers

edit: guess I can't put the video here lol

Please login to view this video.

1 minute ago, AHal said:

This is the video. The only thing he said is that he spun the altitude dial on his bravo for altitude, but as you can see, was able to click and set VS. No other buttons pressed, hardware or otherwise. Would setting altitude with a Honeycomb really change the ability to arm vertical speed? (Legitimate question, I have no idea).

Cheers

edit: guess I can't put the video here lol

IMG_1763.mov 7.01 MB · 0 downloads

Try zipping it and attaching the zip. Or better, put it on Youtube and link to it.

17 hours ago, AHal said:

The only thing he said is that he spun the altitude dial on his bravo for altitude, but as you can see, was able to click and set VS. No other buttons pressed, hardware or otherwise. Would setting altitude with a Honeycomb really change the ability to arm vertical speed? (Legitimate question, I have no idea).

The AP is definitely selected OFF, as there is no 'AP' indication and the toggle switch on the secondary (AP-106) panel is off. But you can see the VS indication, which you normally don't see when the AP is off. I suspect it is indeed because he used a hardware switch first. I would guess the Honeycomb mapping of the altitude selector is wrong, in the sense that it does something different than the dial on the panel. I can't get it to behave this way with just the controls on the VC panel.

Yeah, I don't disagree probably the hardware mapping, was just curious in case. Thank you gentlemen, appreciate the discussion. As mentioned, I am not concerned about it, was just curious. Happy flying :)

Archived