VR Cockpit zoom goes too close to the instrument

Hi,

Currently when pressing the VR cockpit zoom button the views goes very close to the instruments. As if the your nose touching the panel.

This makes this option unhelpful in the Twin Otter and also nauseating, due to the unnatural head movement  

In other default planes the VR cockpit zoom is optimal.

Can we set the amount of zoom manually?

Thanks

I've got the same effect. My VR headset is a Valve Index and I'm using the right mouse button to zoom in. AFAIK that's the default button to zoom in MSFS.

• Aerosoft

mmmm, okay. I have send a file to another user who had the same issue to test.  As far as we know the only think that affects that is the data in the cameras.cfg file in the airplane folders.

[CAMERADEFINITION.35]
Title ="PilotVR"
Guid ="{3299795B-46AF-4359-9882-753C62A2F215}"
Description =""
Origin ="Virtual Cockpit"
MomentumEffect =1
SnapPbhAdjust ="Swivel"
SnapPbhReturn =0
PanPbhAdjust ="Swivel"
PanPbhReturn =0
Track ="None"
ShowAxis ="YES"
AllowZoom =1
InitialZoom =0.35
SmoothZoomTime =2
ZoomPanScalar =1

ShowWeather =1
XyzAdjust =1

Now the values we use are set by using the SDK option test VR settings without having to have access to all the VR headsets that are out there. But more and more I have the feeling this does not cover everything.  Zoomscalar for example seems missing from the default aircraft. As I do not have a VFR headset in my home office (to be perfectly honest I find them incredibly hard to fly with in any accuracy), so I can't test, but if you are willing to, do try! We will be doing the same thing this week in our testing offices.

On 2/2/2022 at 7:09 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

mmmm, okay. I have send a file to another user who had the same issue to test.  As far as we know the only think that affects that is the data in the cameras.cfg file in the airplane folders.

[CAMERADEFINITION.35]
Title ="PilotVR"
Guid ="{3299795B-46AF-4359-9882-753C62A2F215}"
Description =""
Origin ="Virtual Cockpit"
MomentumEffect =1
SnapPbhAdjust ="Swivel"
SnapPbhReturn =0
PanPbhAdjust ="Swivel"
PanPbhReturn =0
Track ="None"
ShowAxis ="YES"
AllowZoom =1
InitialZoom =0.35
SmoothZoomTime =2
ZoomPanScalar =1

ShowWeather =1
XyzAdjust =1

Now the values we use are set by using the SDK option test VR settings without having to have access to all the VR headsets that are out there. But more and more I have the feeling this does not cover everything.  Zoomscalar for example seems missing from the default aircraft. As I do not have a VFR headset in my home office (to be perfectly honest I find them incredibly hard to fly with in any accuracy), so I can't test, but if you are willing to, do try! We will be doing the same thing this week in our testing offices.

Mathijs thank you very much for your reply,

First proper disclosure -I'm no sim developer and I say everything from an outsider research on the web. 

Please take the following with a grain of salt.

I compared the cameras.cfg file of the Twin Otter to the default DA42 and I couldn't find any significant difference, that will point out the reason for the the odd VR Cockpit focus behaviour.

I did find another "immediate suspect", but since I don't have access to the source model I cant be sure this is correct.

Looks like there is some this called Collision Meshes (https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Asset_Creation/3D_Models/Collision_Handling.htm#h1), and for correct VR cockpit interaction they need to be set correctly (https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/index.htm#t=Asset_Creation%2F3D_Models%2FAircraft%2FAircraft_Cockpit.htm&rhsearch=panel_collision&rhhlterm=panel_collision).

If the collision mesh is not present or has issues the VR cockpit focus will not measure correctly the distance between the pilots eyes to the instrument, and will be set at a default of 1 meter (https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tip-creating-vr-collision-mesh-for-mouse-cockpit-interaction/362774).

Again, I'm not saying this is the issue, I'm just pointing at a possible direction.

Maybe the cameras.cfg is the culprit - I just couldn't find a problem.

I'd be happy to assist in beta testing for Ocolus Quest 2 if required.

Thank you very much

Liaz

On 2/3/2022 at 7:58 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

No, thank you. You might have found the issue. We will try to get VR goggles to all modelers urgently.

SOLVED.

Mathijs thank you very much for a quick action and for being customer obsessed.

I can now focus on my GPS on VR and enjoy the flight.

Looking forward for more VR enhancements of the Twin Otter. 

• Aerosoft
3 hours ago, liazkam said:

SOLVED.

Mathijs thank you very much for a quick action and for being customer obsessed.

I can now focus on my GPS on VR and enjoy the flight.

Looking forward for more VR enhancements of the Twin Otter. 

Thanks for the feedback and sorry we did not catch that. 

Archived