Twin Otter stance on the ground

Hey guys

@Mathijs Kokquick question, boss. Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to raise the Twin Otter's stance on the ground for the model with the regular wheels? The mains sit quite a bit 'squat' and tail low with a nose up attitude when even half loaded. Fully loaded might produce that 'squat' on the mains but empty and lightly loaded the aircraft sits more tail high. I understand that nose high config for the tundra tire model with the huge front tire but not for the regular wheels model. If anything it sits slightly tail high from all my observations. So out of curiosity, can the contact points be manipulated to produce a slightly tail high stance when on the ground? See the images below. Those are 2 of 5 -300 Twin Otters that operate in my area. Cheers. 

Please login to display this image.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:28 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

I'll ask Alexander to look at this. Very hard to see the attitude on those images though and having no idea if it was empty or fully loaded also changes things (at max weight the tail drops a bit)

Thank you, sir! Appreciate it. Also those pics are with about 75% load factor. I asked the Captains. 90% with induce a slightly more tail low appearance than that in the pics. 

• Aerosoft

As you have seen, Alexander did already check that. If there is any image where we are sure we know the load and that the ground is level and where we can actually measure it to the horizon (assuming that is level) we can look at it again.

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

As you have seen, Alexander did already check that. If there is any image where we are sure we know the load and that the ground is level and where we can actually measure it to the horizon (assuming that is level) we can look at it again.

Hey Mathijs, 

So I took it on myself to do some fiddling with the contact points and I got a stance that I'm happy with. This is how it stands in my sim fully empty. Of course with load it will then squat down on the mains a bit. Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. 

On 2/4/2022 at 1:11 AM, Aeromaestro said:

Hey Mathijs, 

So I took it on myself to do some fiddling with the contact points and I got a stance that I'm happy with. This is how it stands in my sim fully empty. Of course with load it will then squat down on the mains a bit. Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. 

I am interested in this. Mind sharing which file do i need to modify for this?

Aerosoft you guys need to check back the stance look on the standard 300 pax, 3 blade cargo, 4 blade cargo, skydiver variants. I've just went to my local airport and seen some a viking otters just 53kg short of max take off weight and the aircraft still has a tail high nose low look. The default stance you guys put makes the otter looks like its gonna squat butt low when i load it near max take off weight. Not to be applied towards the tundra as that plane does have tail low stance.

• 3 weeks later...

Since CCM's mod has been taken out for copyright reasons. Those wanting the stance just head to aerosoft-aircraft-twin-otter\SimObjects\Airplanes

Open FLIGHT_MODEL.cfg and modify the entry from ;gear as of below

;Gear             1       2      3     4  5     6   7    8     9    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
point.0 = 1,   13.00,  0.00, -6.65, 1500, 0, 1.12, 60, 0.78, 1.80, 0.60, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3 ; Wheel front
point.1 = 1,   -2.25, -5.95, -6.63, 3000, 1, 1.28, 0, 0.7, 2.30, 0.60, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0, 1 ; Wheel rear left
point.2 = 1,   -2.25,  5.95, -6.63, 3000, 2, 1.28, 0, 0.7, 2.30, 0.60, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0, 1 ; Wheel rear right

Same entry can be used for all DHC-6 variants except Amphibian, Float and tundra those are different.
How it should look with 1.3 tonne payload

Archived