Free Route Airspace and PFPX

Hi, maybe I use PFPX badly but I would like to know why, when the program looks for a route in Europe, it doesn't take into account the Free Route Airspace. Of course I always have the AIRACS and RAD updated

Thank you.

With disappearing airways in Europe PFPX will require legal direct links added which can be achieved via the 'user Waypoints and Airways' function for automatic route finding.

AIRAC data is of no use, at least to the sim community at this time, as directs or even the waypoint tags of entry/exit, intermediate, arr/dep do not exist.

David's RAD restrictions and Directs go a very long way in achieving automatic route selection in FRA, it is however virtually impossible to add every permutation.

When the directs are in place then PFPX will make use of FRA, it has done here in planning hundreds of routes many of which clear EuroControl validation on first pass.

Perhaps supply examples of where FRA is not working for you.

Hi @srcooke

here is an example of route calculated by PFPX from LIMC to LICC

(FPL-SIC0868-IN
-MD82/M-SDFGIRWY/S
-LIMC1215
-N0430F330/N0430F290 ROBAS Y663 LOGDI/N0434F330 DCT EKDIR DCT
 IBRID DCT PNZ DCT VAKOR Q789 PELEN/N0427F290 Q789 UXUTA
-LICC0145 LICB
-PBN/A1B1D2D3O2O3S1 DOF/220206 REG/MDMSFS
 EET/LIMM0010 LIRR0031 RVR/200 PER/C 
-E/0241)

So FRA is used as you are at FL330 from LOGDI.

Descent to FL290 is a likely requirement to join the airway structure for the arrival but would need to look further at that.

The problem I see is the initial speed/altitude entry N0430F330/N0430F290 which I am guessing you are using v2.04 of PFPX ?

Here is the return I get with v2.03 and is EuroControl validated:

(FPL-MD82-IS
-MD82/M-SDE1FGHIRWXYZ/LB1
-LIMC1240
-N0436F330 ROBAS Y663 LOGDI DCT EKDIR DCT AMTEL DCT GIKIN DCT
 PNZ DCT VAKOR/N0429F290 Q789 PELEN/N0402F250 Q789 UXUTA
-LICC0137 LICR
-PBN/A1B1L1 NAV/RNVD5E10A5 DOF/220206 REG/MD82
 EET/LIMM0009 LIRR0026 RVR/300 PER/C
-E/0237)

It would be possible extend the FRA sector to PELEN and join Q789 there.

This really only reduces the route time by 1min with a gain of 25kg fuel on the MD82.

Dear @srcooke, I have pasted, in my previous post, the code of the ATC tab without having made any changes to the route, to show you that PFPX is a bit "confused" about the use of FRA.

As you rightly wrote, I too would have changed the route by making a direct between LOGDI (or, much more realistically, EKDIR) and PELEN. This also happens in reality. But PFPX is unable to do that..

My findings here are that using either of those directs is less efficient than the route PFPX proposes either with or without winds, PFPX will always choose the most efficient route option.

You can of course manually plan the route and the FRA altitudes from your direct links will apply.

On 2/6/2022 at 1:13 PM, srcooke said:

The problem I see is the initial speed/altitude entry N0430F330/N0430F290 which I am guessing you are using v2.04 of PFPX ?

Here is the return I get with v2.03 and is EuroControl validated:

Hi Stephen,

Is there a known bug with speed/altitude in V2.04? As I am also on that version.

As such, do you recommend reverting to V2.03?

4 minutes ago, planebass said:

Hi Stephen,

Is there a known bug with speed/altitude in V2.04? As I am also on that version.

As such, do you recommend reverting to V2.03?

Yes there is, the only real gain to v2.04 is the automatic validation submission is suppressed.

As always make a backup of the PFPX data folder if doing a full reinstall along with any modified files install to the main program folder.

On 2/9/2022 at 10:38 AM, planebass said:

Is there a way I could get V2.03? I unfortunately don’t have a copy of it on my PC and I also just checked flightsimsoft.com but to no avail.

Attached is just the v2.03 exe.

I would suggest backing up your v2.04.exe

PFPXv203-exe.zip

Archived