Power off - FMS-state

mikkel

Hi,

due to lack of hardlock to the engine off position on my Bravo throttles, I've managed to cut both engines by accident and when booting up again all FMS-inputs were lost, is this correct behaviour of the aircraft? I would imagine that the battery would keep all electronic systems in their configured state?

-JM

@mikkel 

1. AFAIK it is impossible to kill the ENG by accidentaly moving the THR levers in cut off position (because the 2 small red flaps do not allow the THR levers to move to cut off).

2. BATT power does not power all ACFT systems (most of them need APU or ENG)

7 hours ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

@mikkel 

1. AFAIK it is impossible to kill the ENG by accidentaly moving the THR levers in cut off position (because the 2 small red flaps do not allow the THR levers to move to cut off).

2. BATT power does not power all ACFT systems (most of them need APU or ENG)

1. It's unfortunatly quite easy with the Honeycomb Bravo in MSFS.

2. That seems reasonable, but it seems strange that aboslutely all data is lost when power is cut?

vor 11 Stunden , mikkel sagte:

1. It's unfortunatly quite easy with the Honeycomb Bravo in MSFS.

Can you move the THR levers from IDLE to CUT OFF without raising the small red lock latches??? (they should be in locked position...if they are constantly up, then you have a controll assigned to them)

vor 11 Stunden , mikkel sagte:

but it seems strange that aboslutely all data is lost when power is cut?

Not realy because if the FMGS is not powered IRL then it is offline. You also have no IRS allignement....so yeah, you kind of invalidate all the FMGS programing you have done.

8 hours ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

Not realy because if the FMGS is not powered IRL then it is offline. You also have no IRS allignement....so yeah, you kind of invalidate all the FMGS programing you have done.

The FMS can retain flightplan data when electrical power is lost. Not sure for how long, but a short power loss when the ground power drops out for example and when it comes back online you should normally have your data still there. I have obviously not tried this with killing both engines in the air :P .

On 2/1/2022 at 6:52 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

But no matter if it could or could not, that is simply a level of detail we will not model. 

I can understand the reasoning about not simulating every detail on an aircraft and it's FMS systems, but it's not uncommon that some of the shortcuts made to the simulated aircraft makes it more difficult/frustrating to operate than it's real life counterpart. I think it would be worth it to look into this particular system behaviour.

1. It is not "quite easy" to move the throttle into cutoff with the Honeycomb Bravo.  There is a detent and you have to consciously move the levers past the detent or be pulling the throttle back with almost reckless abandon to just blow past it. 

2. Is the new expectation that AS amend it's products to stop people from disconnecting the ground cart before the APU is online?  Folks this is what checklists are for.  If your current checklist (assuming you use one) does not have an item in it ADD it.  My checklist for every aircraft I fly has added entries for "Connect VATSIM client" and "Start Smartcars", as an example.  

3. The battery is does NOT power all systems in real life on ANY aircraft.  You must either run the APU or be connected to a GPU.  Engines don't take over electrical generation until you start the engines.  So, typically, at the gate I am on GPU.  Prior to push, I start the APU.  Once online and before push, I kill the GPU.  Once engines are started, before taxi, the APU gets shut down and I am on engine generators.

As with most things seen here, these issues are more of user error than programming.  I have, let me check....close to 300 hours in this CRJ or the P3D variant (about two hundred in MSFS).  I don't have these problems.  Now either I got a special copy of the plane (Thanks Mathjis), or I do things differently such as learning the plane and my gear.  It is not a quality of life issue, it is a quality of simmer issue. 

1 hour ago, Crabby said:

1. It is not "quite easy" to move the throttle into cutoff with the Honeycomb Bravo.  There is a detent and you have to consciously move the levers past the detent or be pulling the throttle back with almost reckless abandon to just blow past it. 

2. Is the new expectation that AS amend it's products to stop people from disconnecting the ground cart before the APU is online?  Folks this is what checklists are for.  If your current checklist (assuming you use one) does not have an item in it ADD it.  My checklist for every aircraft I fly has added entries for "Connect VATSIM client" and "Start Smartcars", as an example.  

3. The battery is does NOT power all systems in real life on ANY aircraft.  You must either run the APU or be connected to a GPU.  Engines don't take over electrical generation until you start the engines.  So, typically, at the gate I am on GPU.  Prior to push, I start the APU.  Once online and before push, I kill the GPU.  Once engines are started, before taxi, the APU gets shut down and I am on engine generators.

As with most things seen here, these issues are more of user error than programming.  I have, let me check....close to 300 hours in this CRJ or the P3D variant (about two hundred in MSFS).  I don't have these problems.  Now either I got a special copy of the plane (Thanks Mathjis), or I do things differently such as learning the plane and my gear.  It is not a quality of life issue, it is a quality of simmer issue. 

Jesus Christ.

• Aerosoft

Not being religious I had a serious laugh about this. But the simple fact is that customers at this moment except all hardware to fully match all DLC.

And that is simply impossible.

The moment your DLC code goes beyond default systems (because you want to make things more complex) you can no longer use the sim vars to control hardware. There is nothing we can do about this. Nothing. You will always need software to link the sim to the hardware in these cases. We do not make that software because there are thousands of add-ons and hundreds of hardware controllers. 

3 hours ago, Crabby said:

I do exactly the same....works flawlessly

2 hours ago, mikkel said:

Doing what, missing the target completely as poster Crappy?

Again, this earns a rare downvote from me.  No anonymity here.  Now tell me, what target did I miss? Must be the fact that if done correctly, without errors and omissions by the simmer, these things don't happen.  Some just overcome their own short comings.  Why you would call out another person just because they confirmed what I posted, beyond being prideful, is beyond me.  

I think the point was sometimes people accidentally hit something they didn't mean to because they don't have a full size tactile cockpit - like the guy using VR posted - or in my case the time I've had the game momentarily freeze & send my mouse click to the GPU toggle on the EFB instead of the door... the latter isn't something I'm counting on happening again given that was some quite ridiculous bad luck but I can see how things happen in VR for a number of people.

5 hours ago, mikkel said:

Doing what, missing the target completely as poster Crappy?

BTW, I forgot, before you accuse someone of "missing the target", you should at least spell check their username.  I will choose to believe that you had a spelling problem and are not just being childish.  

17 hours ago, Richard Dastardly said:

I think the point was sometimes people accidentally hit something they didn't mean to because they don't have a full size tactile cockpit - like the guy using VR posted - or in my case the time I've had the game momentarily freeze & send my mouse click to the GPU toggle on the EFB instead of the door... the latter isn't something I'm counting on happening again given that was some quite ridiculous bad luck but I can see how things happen in VR for a number of people.

Exactly, and my point was neither about doing anything that's not matching the real aircraft. Anyways, thanks for articulating the clarification.

Archived