Autopilot IAS mode.

haseen

I use Aerosoft Twin Otter Ext. in p3d v4. It works fine. I am thinking to buy it for my msfs 2020. One question. Does the autopilot IAS function work properly i e similar to twin otter ext in p3d?

Regards,

Haseen Ahmad.

Dear Mathijs:

I mean Indicated Air Speed Hold by IAS. During climb and descend, with a trimmed speed set, if I press IAS button with AP engaged, AP maintains the speed by elevator. If I reduce power, AP pitches down to maintain the speed. If I increase power, the AP pitches up to maintain the speed. It happend well in p3d v4. Does it perfectly work in AS Twin Otter in msfs2020?

Regards,

Haseen Ahmad.

2 hours ago, haseen said:

I mean Indicated Air Speed Hold by IAS. During climb and descend, with a trimmed speed set, if I press IAS button with AP engaged, AP maintains the speed by elevator. If I reduce power, AP pitches down to maintain the speed. If I increase power, the AP pitches up to maintain the speed. It happend well in p3d v4. Does it perfectly work in AS Twin Otter in msfs2020?

The KAP140 doesn't have an IAS hold mode, so no.

Since the MSFS2020 Twin Otter uses the KAP140 Autopilot, there is ni IAS mode.

The Collins 913K Autopilot Controller is only used as a repeater for the KAP140 and thus the IAS button is INOP.

IAS mode on the AP is used during climb (can also be used for descent, but not recommended as slightly turbulent air may cause the plane to start chasing the speed by constantly changing pitch. Not comfortable). You set the desired airspeed and the plane will hold this airspeed during climb by changing pitch. In the airlines this is the preferred method as it protects you from stalls. The VS mode does not protect you from stalls and can be potentially dangerous if you don't pay attention. Hence the reason why VS mode is primarily used for descends. 

5 hours ago, haseen said:

Will Aerosoft make Collins 913K Autopilot Controller 'IAS button' functional in future? I love it during climb in P3D v4!

You could no doubt add some facsimile of the IAS hold function yourself with a Lua program (for which you will need FSUIPC), although I'm not sure you could hook it up to that button on the panel.

I also find that the autopilot pitch wheel does not work in msfs 2020. But it did in p3d. I really miss this AP pitch wheel and IAS function. I wish if Aerosoft could help these to work!

10 hours ago, Bearviation said:

I was having issues as well with the IAS mode not working but have opted to use the VS mode in the AP.  Does the IAS mode work? I can't get it to for some reason.

There's no IAS mode in aerosoft's otter as with the real life otter. You either climb with pitch trim and correct power setting or you use Vertical speed climb.

On 1/31/2022 at 9:07 PM, chinjh said:

There's no IAS mode in aerosoft's otter as with the real life otter. You either climb with pitch trim and correct power setting or you use Vertical speed climb.

Thank you. I wonder why they even bothered putting it in the manual if it's not going to be implemented. smh

Archived