New propeller physics coming in SU8!

Eirik Christoffersen

Indeed! The new propeller physics looks very promising. In fact, it may solve all the issues we're currently facing with turboprops. There also a new feature discovery video about aerodynamics coming up in February, so it looks like we might have more good stuff coming our way. 

• Aerosoft

You have no idea how much we wanted that in SU7...  no idea.  Also the changes in aerodynamics will solve a lot of issues we have. At this moment air that flows over the wings when it increased in speed because of the props create a massive amount of lift that is hard to deal with (STOL is one thing, but now we have too much STOL).

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

You have no idea how much we wanted that in SU7...  no idea.  Also the changes in aerodynamics will solve a lot of issues we have. At this moment air that flows over the wings when it increased in speed because of the props create a massive amount of lift that is hard to deal with (STOL is one thing, but now we have too much STOL).

I can imagine :) Yes, there's a few hints about updated aerodynamics in the works (feature discovery series: aerodynamics. Video coming in february) so this is very interesting. I find the aerodynamics pretty good in MSFS, but it needs some tweaking here and there. Particularly in the pitch plane which is very twitchy and unstable. It's much closer to reality in X-plane, so I really hope this gets updated to the same standards as in X-plane. 

• Aerosoft

Now my experience with aerodynamics in real aircraft is spotty over several decades but I owned half of a Super Cub at some time (somehow always the part that was broken) so my interpretation should be seen in that light and I bow with great pleasure to pilots with more experience. That will not stop me from spouting my comments though!

1. I have employed several young people who had the ambition to become commercial pilots and I am happy to say all of them are now flying commercially. I was sorry to see them go but they are all still friends of Aerosoft and all of them still assist us. But if there is one things they all had in common was that they said flying in the sims we all use had very little to do with flying a real aircraft. They also said the multimillion dollar real world sims were far from perfect in how it felt compared to the real aircraft. It is simply incredibly hard to model aerodynamics. Every pilot will tell you getting that super smooth touch down is either to easy or too hard in the sim. 

2. Over the decades I have had some time on the stick of real aircraft. From gliders to an F-16 (my father was base commander at Leeuwarden AFB and it was the late 1980's). I also spend many hours (mainly at night after updates where done) in high end simulators. But I never compared that to any FS add-on.  You need hundreds of hours on an aircraft to understand it. You might be able to wrestle it through the air and even getting it back on the ground, but to seriously master it... that is a job. A well paid job for well educated professionals. Most of the time 50% of a crew that would not even dream of flying the aircraft alone unless their partner had the fish. 

However when I first flew the Cub in the sim it seemed like my muscle memory kicked in. I was moving the stick before I was conscious I was doing it. I was flying. I think that has a lot to do with the scenery and the fluid way it is displayed. Just as when you drive a car you are not thinking about how to react to that car that is doing stupid things in front of you. Your feet and hands act. I simply do not get that in FSX, P3D or X-Plane.  The flight model can only react to your input. How you do those inputs is decided not in the sim but in your brain. And that is not part of the flight model but how the environment is presented. 

And I think MSFS does that best at this moment. Not talking about N2 temperatures but about making that flare where you say, "yeah, comment on that".  I think MSFS has a long way to go, but representing how an aircraft feels to a pilot? I think it offers the best options.

Archived