Flap Sound not synchronized?

• Developer

The flaps are moved from a pressure reservoir and not directly from a motor. What you hear is a pump that refills that reservoir and it does that whenever the pressure is going below a switch point. Therefore it is not in sync with the flaps movement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

vor 16 Minuten, metzgergva sagte:

The flaps are moved from a pressure reservoir and not directly from a motor. What you hear is a pump that refills that reservoir and it does that whenever the pressure is going below a switch point. Therefore it is not in sync with the flaps movement.

We don't want to forget the sound problem elsewhere, but at this point an encouraging praise. I find the hydraulic system very well implemented. Representation of the emergency hand pump, the sound of the pump, the display of the circuit monitoring and this beautiful slight pressure drop on the pressure gauge after the pump turns off, very nice. This quality should be the goal in all aspects.

• Like 1

I don't know if this might help someone else - maybe it will just be good for a laugh. During my first few flights in the Twin Otter I kept hearing the hydraulic pumps screaming at me even few seconds. I kept thinking, this can't be right and it's going to make me crazy(er)! Anyhow, I quickly realized that I have a bad habit of relaxing my feet on my rudder pedals (read: pressing down on the brakes) and that's what is (correctly) causing the hydraulic system to cycle over and over and over...

Once I come out of climb and start cruising I make a point of resting my feet to the sides of my pedals and lo and behold, no more hydraulic cycling! 🤣

• Like 4

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, scoobyx said:

Once I come out of climb and start cruising I make a point of resting my feet to the sides of my pedals and lo and behold, no more hydraulic cycling! 🤣

If  you look at this picture and look closely, you can see where you have to put your foot in reality! 🤣

Please login to display this image.

Did you find the footprint?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 4:19 PM, Eric Bakker said:

If  you look at this picture and look closely, you can see where you have to put your foot in reality! 🤣

Did you find the footprint?

Great but I don't want to wear my carpet like that!

Seriously, thanks for the explanation. The hydraulic noise every few seconds was driving me mad and I really thought I had broken my Twin Otter. That's another bad habit I'll have to get rid of.

• Like 1

• Aerosoft
31 minutes ago, Ian Murray said:

Seriously, thanks for the explanation. The hydraulic noise every few seconds was driving me mad and I really thought I had broken my Twin Otter. That's another bad habit I'll have to get rid of.

You are not the only one who felt that was very wrong. But in an older aircraft where the pneumatic system is not as new you will hear the pump pressure it up a lot. And that pump is bolted to the floor directly under your seat. It makes a hell of a racket. The pneumatic system is pretty well modeled, loosing pressure over time, the pump output scaled to the pressure it needs to supply btw. 

But as with som many sound elements in this aircraft we have to tweak it to what customers expect. That is what we are doing right now.  If reviewers, believe like you, that is an incorrectly triggered flap sound (and do not simply ask me for comment) they will call it a bug while it is not. A bit like many of the reviews calling the fact our Airbusses ran without the fuel pumps activated a bug. Some even called it 'stupid'.  If they would have spend a few moment to think where the tanks are located and where the engines are, they would have understood gravity does most of the work, the pumps are there to support Newton. 

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, Ian Murray said:

So you did not find the footprint on the panel. It's in the red circle ;)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

hey guys, quick question regarding flap sounds and thought this would be better than opening a new thread. just fires up the Twotter and noticed that the moving flaps don't make a sound at all. I even moved the camera to the back of the plane right next to the flaps but couldn't make out a noise at all. Is this normal? If so then cool. just wanted to make sure I haven't broken something 

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2022 at 2:25 PM, dresoccer4 said:

hey guys, quick question regarding flap sounds and thought this would be better than opening a new thread. just fires up the Twotter and noticed that the moving flaps don't make a sound at all. I even moved the camera to the back of the plane right next to the flaps but couldn't make out a noise at all. Is this normal? If so then cool. just wanted to make sure I haven't broken something 

just hopped int he twotter a month later and noticed the same thing. should I open a new thread?

vor 14 Stunden schrieb dresoccer4:

just hopped int he twotter a month later and noticed the same thing. should I open a new thread?

As there was no Update for this plane for longer time, there could not change anything, right?

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2022 at 1:58 AM, Transair27 said:

Not a bug. This is a hydraulic pump, related to but not in synch necessarily with flap movement.  There is a post on this earlier...

what "this" is a hydraulic pump?

I think it has been pretty well explained higher up.

The flaps are moved using hydraulic air pressure and this does not make noise.

Then the hydraulics need to be pressurized again and the sound we hear is the hydraulic pump.

• Like 1

Am 26.1.2022 um 10:17 schrieb metzgergva:

That's why the sound reminds me so much of the good old Saab SF340. The hydraulic pump whines exactly like the one in the Twin Otter and also reminds you of its existence unexpectedly every here and then... In the FSX Twin Otter extended that sound didn't exist, so I was surprised to hear it now in MSFS. But your explanation makes total sense and explains everything. Thanks! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...