1st go with the Twin Otter

Well I don't know everyone.  I have read all the forums and listened to both sides of the sounds argument for the Twin Otter.  Just started and flew it in MSFS for the first time and quite honestly felt the sounds were like a DC4 in cruise.  I couldn't get proper turbine sounds at all, had no differentiation of pitch sounds with propeller movement, and very poor reverse sounds...It was as though I had incorrect sound files altogether.  I'm quite perplexed as I assumed this would now be quite good and the forums also seemed to back that up.  But I honestly wonder what's happened.  

Have I missed something?

You haven't missed anything. 

This is the reason why everyone was talking about the sounds issue.  It's well, an issue.... 

Latest update has not fixed it. 

It has changed the volumes of a few things but the gross of the matter appears yet to be beyond Aerosoft's capability/understanding/willingness to resolve it.

This is a truly miserable state of affairs which increasingly detracts from AS's overall reputation at this point.  They seem to have a lot of work ahead of them before this thing can even begin to be considered "done". 

There are a few user-made mods which can more or less remedy the problem, yet the best one among those requires purchase of a payware sound pack originally for FSX which can then be adapted to substitute all engine sounds.

But truth be told, this costly fix used to work better before this rather unsatisfactory update. Now it'll require additional retuning to fix the volume gaps during engine startup.   Really, it's a kind of problem we buy payware in order to completely forget about. 

The state of these sounds as of now, were they freeware, would have me looking for another pack to replace them.  For a paid product, this is an outright debacle.

And don't get me started on the other issues that pop up, like (of all things) reversed aileron animations! That one is quite simply an embarrassment. 

Let's just leave it at that and hopefully update 0.2 isn't long in following

appreciate the reply.  I hadn't spotted the other things, but it was the sound I was genuinely after...After start, engines go to a purr - hardly audible.  I think someone else mentioned that earlier.  Manipulation of the props produced no differences in sounds at all and if moving the throttles on the ground I get low power, high power, low power like a switch was operated......I really wonder what it was like BEFORE the update.  Yes hope update 1.0.2 uses completely new files as these simply don't work for me..  

The files are file, it's the way they're mixed (well, basically aren't) that's the problem.

At this time if it were up to me, I'd treat it as a full blown emergency and go as far as scrap using WWISE and sticking to the old tried-and-tested sound system.  The user-mod fix uses such a method and achieves perfectly acceptable results that way. 

But it's not just the engines that sound crude even for amateur freeware standards. ALL sounds have issues, such as absurd volume differences and no spatial arrangement whatsoever. Also quite noticeable, the flight controls fail to go "clunk" as expected when moved around (though you can have them so do by aliasing the default King Air sounds in the aircraft.cfg files) 

As for how it was before the update, it was basically the same, but generally louder.   Now most sounds are down to mostly level with the MSFS standard -EXCEPT, the all important engine startup sounds, which remain incongruously loud, causing a frustrating volume gap when combustion kicks in.

Anyone else notice the flap sounds completely out of sync with the the actual movement of the flaps?

It’s sort of ridiculous how poor the sounds are on this? Also when you cut the throttle for landing, it sometimes roars at you like the loudest its been all the flight when it should be quiet... 

it’s so poor.

yes....agree with the mixing...the actual individual sounds sound great, but the transitions and ranges don't

Do you suggest downloading the KingAir sounds on flightsim.to, or holding off??

(also just picked up the reversed ailerons - external view)

4 minutes ago, abennett said:

Anyone else notice the flap sounds completely out of sync with the the actual movement of the flaps?

It’s sort of ridiculous how poor the sounds are on this? Also when you cut the throttle for landing, it sometimes roars at you like the loudest its been all the flight when it should be quiet... 

it’s so poor.

This has come up before.  It's not flap motors but the hydraulic pumps - they're just a bit loud I suspect

29 minutes ago, abennett said:

it’s so poor.

that's intentional, that hydraulics you hear which are delayed, its the hydraulic pump repressurizing after moving the flaps

I have the HC Alpha and Bravo, both are working with the Twin Otter. So is the autopilot.  The sounds are not brilliant, but generally OK.  Overall a nice aircraft and a lot of enjoyment flying.

4 hours ago, RF pilot said:

I have the HC Alpha and Bravo, both are working with the Twin Otter. So is the autopilot.  The sounds are not brilliant, but generally OK.  Overall a nice aircraft and a lot of enjoyment flying.

so do you use the autopilot controls on the Bravo or directly on the aircraft?  I have HDG and ALT and AP lights illuminated but no responses from turning the knobs at all. AFC bridge is installed BUT I did get a replacement Bravo - just wondering if I need to download the software again.

Yeah I gave the Otter a good shake down form Papua New Guinea to the Isles of Scilly and Im afraid ill be deleting it from MSFS it needs quite a bit of work specially in the flight dynamics compared to other aircraft like the Kodiak its not a problem hopefully Aerosoft will improve the current model and I will try it again,and yes also the sound lol.

having finally the update from MP, I am happier with the sound and the model flies very well IMO, just enroute Olbia to Split over Italy

Please login to display this image.

I'm a big fan of the twin otter but have just one question; recently I can't get the AP to follow the NAV FP. Is there a GPS button or FD button I'm missing? The AP use to work just fine until recently when I installed the updated GARMIN 1000 from the Market Place. Let me know if I'm missing something. Thank you 

• Aerosoft
3 minutes ago, paytheon said:

I'm a big fan of the twin otter but have just one question; recently I can't get the AP to follow the NAV FP. Is there a GPS button or FD button I'm missing? The AP use to work just fine until recently when I installed the updated GARMIN 1000 from the Market Place. Let me know if I'm missing something. Thank you 

The Twin Otter does not have a Garmin 1000.

Sorry Mathijs Kok, perhaps I wasn't clear about the events that occurred when the Twin Otter stopped following the NAV Flight Plan. The events that happened up to the time the NAV Flight Plan stopped working in the Twin Otter was after I installed the Garmin 1000 update in MP. What I'm saying is I use the new Garmin 1000 in the Cessna 182 and 208B. The NAV FP was working in the Twin Otter up until I installed the update from the MP. Even if the Twin Otter doesn't use the Garmin 1000, something changed that I can no longer fly the AP NAV FP (after the update to the Garmin 1000). I don't know if that update messed things up or is there a Flight Director switch I need to flip somewhere, or a GPS switch I don't see. That's my only point about the Garmin 1000

Archived