Wing tanks

scoobyx

Quick question re: the wing tanks. I have been able to draw fuel from the tanks by moving the switch into the engine position. Pretty slick! According to the manual, I should also be able to draw fuel from the fore/aft tanks into the wing tanks but this does not appear to be working. Is this the expected behavior?

Thanks.

I did not try reverse feeding the wing tanks from main but I did have a question about their operation.  In one flight, I set the wing tanks switches to "Engine" and fuel was being drawn from them.  Then, after some time, I found the engines shut down due to no fuel in the Wing Tanks...  Switching their pumps to "off" and restarting engines allowed me to continue.

I checked but did not see this mentioned in the manual: What is the proper operating procedure with the wing tanks?  

If MSFS2020 Fuel system is like in FSX/P3D, then You cannot transfer fuel between tanks.

Actually both the electrical and fuel system of MSFS2020 (actually taken from FSX) is very limited in what You can do with them.

Well a couple of "special" tanks can transfer fuel between them, but these stems back from the FS2000 Concorde and cannot be used in a regular way.

8 hours ago, Gene Z. said:

I did not try reverse feeding the wing tanks from main but I did have a question about their operation.  In one flight, I set the wing tanks switches to "Engine" and fuel was being drawn from them.  Then, after some time, I found the engines shut down due to no fuel in the Wing Tanks...  Switching their pumps to "off" and restarting engines allowed me to continue.

I checked but did not see this mentioned in the manual: What is the proper operating procedure with the wing tanks?  

Here's an extract from the actual airplane manual. Hope it helps.

Please login to display this image.

Josecolm that’s helpful info. Thanks!

But big question is how this was implemented in the sim. 

I wish one paragraph of 150 or so pages was dedicated to answer that in the manual. 

In the sim if you dont switch off the wing tanks before they are depleted, the engines will shutdown. That is wrong according to the first paragraph shown here.

14 hours ago, josecolme said:

Here's an extract from the actual airplane manual. Hope it helps.

Please login to display this image.

Ok. So I am not the only one who had this happen. 

Well, one good thing it made me practice emergency procedures. :)

Would be nice to have this modeled correctly. Perhaps part of the SDK limitations?

It happened to me on my test flight as well. And it is wrong behaviour. The wing Tanks have overpressure compared to the other tanks yes, but once dry the fuel is pumped from the fuselage tanks. No need for the engine to shut down.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:26 PM, Gene Z. said:

Ok. So I am not the only one who had this happen. 

Well, one good thing it made me practice emergency procedures. :)

Would be nice to have this modeled correctly. Perhaps part of the SDK limitations?

Even if there's an sdk limitation there, they could do some black magic behind the scenes to model the correct behavior.

It can work like this: If the user doesnt turn off the wing tank pumps, shortly before the wing tanks get empty (Like a second before), the developers could turn on the PUMP FAIL light and behind the scenes switch off the wing tanks (Leaving the light on and the switches in the on position). The light should turn off only when the user manually moves the switches to the off position. That's a basic workaround they could implement. What do you say @Mathijs Kok

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, Cyberstudio said:

Even if there's an sdk limitation there, they could do some black magic behind the scenes to model the correct behavior.

Yes, that could be done if we would rewrite the whole fuel system and that is simply not part of this 30 euro project. The issue has been discussed with Microsoft and we have good hopes the fuel system of the sim will be updated soon so it will work fully as the schematics in the manual indicate.

Archived