Using the controls while in autopilot

While watching a couple of videos of actual CRJ flights, it seems as if in some cases, after turning on the AP after takeoff, the pilots have their hands on the controls and are continuing to guide the jet.   Is this really the case or are they just resting their hands on the controls?

Aside from being "good airmanship", at least in my company it is procedure for the pilot flying to stay at the controls

• during any flight phase with flaps out of 0°
  • during moderate to extreme turbulence

in order to be prepared for sudden, unexpected failures of the auto-flight system.

7 hours ago, Richard Dastardly said:

I've forgotten, but does the CRJ have a mode to adjust the autopilot with the yoke?

No.

7 hours ago, Richard Dastardly said:

I vaguely recall something about mapping a command because of a button on the back of the yoke, but I don't think I ever got round to it.

You mean the Flight Director synchronization switch. It has no effect if the AP is engaged. In manual flight it synchronizes vertical and lateral references to those currently flown.

Archived