Simulate engine failure?

Tbo

AS has said NUMEROUS times that these things are NOT the point of their simulation.  

1.  Turbine engines fail at about a rate of 1 per 375,000 flight hours.  About once every 43 years if you fly EVERYDAY for 24 hours a day.  So if you only fly three hours a day, 7 days a week it would be about once every 100+ years.  Do you have the time to wait for an engine failure?

2. The process for a single engine failure basically amounts to LAND THE FREAKING AIRCRAFT NOW.  So, turn off one of your engines and land.  

In other words, these failures that everyone asks about happen so rarely that the way they are implemented is entirely UNREALISTIC.  

What's the average rate of bird strikes to engines? do they get included in failures? but yes you're just going to land it, and having tried an engine out on rotation in the CRJ it's not a very big deal anyway. I think people like trying them out of curiosity - if the native failure system was a bit more configurable that'd probably be enough for everyone & there'd be little need for eacn dev house to roll their own.

1 hour ago, Richard Dastardly said:

What's the average rate of bird strikes to engines? do they get included in failures? but yes you're just going to land it, and having tried an engine out on rotation in the CRJ it's not a very big deal anyway. I think people like trying them out of curiosity - if the native failure system was a bit more configurable that'd probably be enough for everyone & there'd be little need for eacn dev house to roll their own.

Well I would have to read the report, however I would imagine that since the general entry was Engine Failure, if a bird strike did not cause the engine to fail it would not be listed.  In other words there was no cause of engine failure listed.  Just failure.  Since developers model their systems differently, I would doubt that the native system would be very reliable in creating unreliable operations for complex add on aircraft.  

I would be much more interested in making sure that normal operations are as real as it gets before worrying about something that 99.999% of pilots will never experience.  You can however play Captain Sully anytime you want just hitting the fuel cutoff. 

Well if one would like there are Sim Events for triggering some of the Failures in the sim...

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Programming_Tools/SimVars/Event_IDs/Aircraft_Misc_Events.htm

The SDK lists them so it is possible to send the event to fail them...  The Sim Vars for the state of the failures is not writeable but you could make conditions that checks them...  and use the Events to Toggle them on or off.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2022 at 1:06 PM, Crabby said:

AS has said NUMEROUS times that these things are NOT the point of their simulation.  

1.  Turbine engines fail at about a rate of 1 per 375,000 flight hours.  About once every 43 years if you fly EVERYDAY for 24 hours a day.  So if you only fly three hours a day, 7 days a week it would be about once every 100+ years.  Do you have the time to wait for an engine failure?

2. The process for a single engine failure basically amounts to LAND THE FREAKING AIRCRAFT NOW.  So, turn off one of your engines and land.  

In other words, these failures that everyone asks about happen so rarely that the way they are implemented is entirely UNREALISTIC.  

Created an account just to say this is total and compete nonsense on many levels.

1. What is your point? It's ok to not be prepared when that one-in-375k flight hours happens to you? Also not sure where you got your stat (not doubting your number - I just would like to see a source). As a lowly private pilot I can tell you there is SIGNIFICANT training with regards to what to do in an engine failure situation. In fact, before EVERY. SINGLE. TAKEOFF. you do what's called a takeoff briefing and review what actions to take in the case of engine failure on the runway, engine failure at a low altitude, and engine failure after climbout, among other things. I guess you think thats a waste of time. In flight failures are also practiced regularly, and yes I practice them on MSFS.

2. Engine failures come in various flavors, but the general procedure the same. The exception is engine fire, where it is important to cut the fuel and descend immediately. Just because the process is the same doesn't mean it is simple - especially in a stressful situation. Many people use the "ABCs" checklist:

Airspeed: Pitch for best glide

Best landing: Find a suitable place to put er down

Checklist: After you are certain A and B are complete, run through your memory items or pull out your checklist for the specific engine failure you are experiencing. I've never flown a CRJ nor a jet, but I guarantee you the checklist is NOT "land aircraft NOW". An engine failure - unless it results in a fire - usually results in trying to stay afloat as long as possible so that you can select your landing area while securing your failed engine.

Declare: Mayday x3, position report, squawk emergency code

Exit strategy: crack your doors open in case the hull crumples on impact (that's for trainer size piston aircraft and not really applicable to a CRJ - but I'm sure there are other exit strategies need to be planned).

MSFS helps a pilot get reps in so this process is like second nature when the emergency happens. And for piston airplanes, it's fair to say a quarter of pilots will need to exercise this checklist once in their flying career (even just a recreational pilot: see discussion here which contains links to various sources). I generally just cut the throttle or the mixture so the engine stops, and then troubleshoot whatever issue I'm simulating. I go through a list of failures at random, but there is also software which will fail your airplane (have to look for it if you're interested).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pigsCanFly said:

Created an account just to say this is total and compete nonsense on many levels.

1. What is your point? It's ok to not be prepared when that one-in-375k flight hours happens to you? Also not sure where you got your stat (not doubting your number - I just would like to see a source). As a lowly private pilot I can tell you there is SIGNIFICANT training with regards to what to do in an engine failure situation. In fact, before EVERY. SINGLE. TAKEOFF. you do what's called a takeoff briefing and review what actions to take in the case of engine failure on the runway, engine failure at a low altitude, and engine failure after climbout, among other things. I guess you think thats a waste of time. In flight failures are also practiced regularly, and yes I practice them on MSFS.

2. Engine failures come in various flavors, but the general procedure the same. The exception is engine fire, where it is important to cut the fuel and descend immediately. Just because the process is the same doesn't mean it is simple - especially in a stressful situation. Many people use the "ABCs" checklist:

Airspeed: Pitch for best glide

Best landing: Find a suitable place to put er down

Checklist: After you are certain A and B are complete, run through your memory items or pull out your checklist for the specific engine failure you are experiencing. I've never flown a CRJ nor a jet, but I guarantee you the checklist is NOT "land aircraft NOW". An engine failure - unless it results in a fire - usually results in trying to stay afloat as long as possible so that you can select your landing area while securing your failed engine.

Declare: Mayday x3, position report, squawk emergency code

Exit strategy: crack your doors open in case the hull crumples on impact (that's for trainer size piston aircraft and not really applicable to a CRJ - but I'm sure there are other exit strategies need to be planned).

MSFS helps a pilot get reps in so this process is like second nature when the emergency happens. And for piston airplanes, it's fair to say a quarter of pilots will need to exercise this checklist once in their flying career (even just a recreational pilot: see discussion here which contains links to various sources). I generally just cut the throttle or the mixture so the engine stops, and then troubleshoot whatever issue I'm simulating. I go through a list of failures at random, but there is also software which will fail your airplane (have to look for it if you're interested).

Yes, I am saying that being worried about being prepared for an engine out that occurs 1 in every 375K hours of operation in real life, while flying a desktop simulation is nonsense.  If you are flying for real, your real-world company will have that training available to you.  If you want to play at it in a sim, flip the switch and shut down an engine.  If a developer provides that level of simulation great.  Aerosoft has ALWAYS been up front that their aircraft are programmed to be a simulation of NORMAL flight operations.  If that does not suit anyone, then they should buy elsewhere.  My source for the numbers is the FAA through via Google Search. 

5 hours ago, Crabby said:

Yes, I am saying that being worried about being prepared for an engine out that occurs 1 in every 375K hours of operation in real life, while flying a desktop simulation is nonsense.  If you are flying for real, your real-world company will have that training available to you.  If you want to play at it in a sim, flip the switch and shut down an engine.  If a developer provides that level of simulation great.  Aerosoft has ALWAYS been up front that their aircraft are programmed to be a simulation of NORMAL flight operations.  If that does not suit anyone, then they should buy elsewhere.  My source for the numbers is the FAA through via Google Search. 

Fair enough - sorry if I came on a bit strong. Was upset reading it from a real-world perspective.

38 minutes ago, pigsCanFly said:

Fair enough - sorry if I came on a bit strong. Was upset reading it from a real-world perspective.

All good. I get what you are saying to, just Aerosoft is not the answer.