Feathered Props Suggestion

May I suggest a simple solution to the propeller blade visuals not being feathered because of MSFS/XBOX limitations: Make the prop blades stay in the feathered position in the Twin Otter 3d model. (no animation required)

Think about it, how often do you see a Twin Otter with unfeathered prop blades when it's not running? The only example I can think of is seaplanes with the optional blade latches installed. But not all seaplanes have that installed either.

Feathered props in the 3d model will also kind of fix the problem with an engine out mid air when the props should be feathered to lessen drag anyways.

And in terms of visuals the 3d model is replaced with a spinning blurred texture almost immediately after spooling up. So that solves the transitioning from feathered to unfeathered prop blades.

Aerosoft Twin Otter Forum Posts References

Simulator limitations - https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/169974-control-surfaces-not-animated/
Optional blade latches - https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/170054-seaplane-keep-moving-forward-when-idle/

I find it sad if Xbox is the defining item.

I think most would expect a new Flight Simulator to be a step forward and not a step back.

If Xbox is restricted, then there should be seperate Xbox and PC versions, otherwise MSFS2020 wil become a parantesis in Flight simulator history.

While I do understand that getting Xbox customers would be great, it shouldn´t be forgotten that most PC Flight simmers are people who had this as their hobby for many years and are the loyal customers.

These people bought addons back  FS98 (My fist Aerosoft addon was the Airbus package for FS98), and also will be those buying addons for MSFS2030.

Not to put customers in boxes, but I guess - and I have no prove for that, Xbox customers might not be as Loyal.

I would be very sorry if Xbox is the defining factor and not what the simulator actually is capable of.

Should that be the way we will see MSFS2020 addons are going, then I will feel tempted to look closer on what the upcomming XP12 has to offer - sorry to say.

Also the purcase page does not mention that animations had to be restraint due to Xbox compability, quite the contrary...

Quote:

Features:

• Full new development using all options of the platform
    • Highly optimized modelling, prepared for use on PC and Xbox

Only a vague "... PC and Xbox".

5 hours ago, Finn said:

I find it sad if Xbox is the defining item.

I think most would expect a new Flight Simulator to be a step forward and not a step back.

If Xbox is restricted, then there should be seperate Xbox and PC versions, otherwise MSFS2020 wil become a parantesis in Flight simulator history.

My thoughts exactly. I really hope this doesn't become a trend.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:45 PM, Recreation said:

Make the prop blades stay in the feathered position in the Twin Otter 3d model.

Great idea! If it’s impossible to animate the propeller blades changing pitch, I think this is the better solution 

I concur if it´s really necessry to reduce the numbers of animation, then leaving them in feathered position is better.

But next question is - are the develpers really so limited that this has to be done ?

As far as I know, the Twin Otter for MSFS2020 does not have anything that can be called an excessive number of animations.

There aren't that many switches, levers or gauges to animate, so if they allready has hit the upper limit, then MSFS2020 / Xbox is way too limited and Xbox should never has been considered as being a platform for a Flight Simulator.

But let´s see what will happen.

A fix seems to be on the way for the PMDG DC-6 Xbox version, so maybe it´s a matter of fixing the Xbox, rather than restricting MSFS2020.

Seeing the props in a non feathered position on startup drives me nuts, when you see most in real life twotters starting up feathered. Great idea!

Greetings JDash

True enough,  - This particular issue can easily be worked around by simply pivoting the blades so that whenever they are visible and unblurred, they appear in a feathered position. 

It'd be a very sensible move, considering how Aerosoft manifestly sets the simulation depth limit at "normal flight operations", and in all normal operations, a stopped Twotter prop will always be feathered.   

The only way you'd find it in another position is if a pilot has made a mistake.

And such a pilot mistake could easily be said to fall under the "abnormal/failure scenarios" category and can therefore be safely left out.

What Moach said. Also, by unfeathering the props they spin faster, and at those rotation speeds the prop is displayed as animated disc already anyways. So it's kinda in line with Moaches view on feathered props beeing normal ops.

• Aerosoft

The feather animation should now work, but can only do so when the prop is a 3d objects and not the flat disk that is used by the sim at higher RPM's.,

Btw in this version we have added these animations, how they will work out on Xbox we will see. Making two different version is simply not possible as Microsoft will not allow that. 

The prop do indeed feather now, so thank you Aerosoft for fixing this.

I can start the engine and move the props to feather and they’ll stay in feather when I turn of the engine. Anyone know the trick to feather the props before engine start?

Archived